How many bikes make a troop choice? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many bikes make a troop choice?

When using a captain on a bike or khan on bike space marine bike squads of 5 or more models count as a troop choice. My question is if you go with the standard three, and add only the attack bike would this be a troop choice. When dividing a unit of ten models the attack bike represents two models (combat tactics). I would think that the attack bike wouldn't count as two models for the purpose of making a troop choice. So you would have to add at least one more bike and an attack bike to meet the five model requirement.
    What are your opinions?

And always remember the first rule of Warhammer...
    (And it has nothing to do with "not talking about Warhammer.")

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMinnesota View Post
    So you would have to add at least one more bike and an attack bike to meet the five model requirement.
    Yes, you have to, unfortunately. Because by RAW, the attack bike -as you've said yourself- only counts as two models "in this case" [Codex: Space Marines, page 68 - hope the quote is correct because my codex is German, not English], referring to combat tactics only. In all other cases the attack bike is just a (single) model.

But everything else is just a little too fragile anyway, so nothing lost really.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

The way I understand it Red Archer is 100% correcet here, as the attack bike only counts as two models or terms of combat squadding the bonus does not transfer to squad size.
    Ask me about the Black and White Space Marine on the Black and White Bike!!!

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

Just re-read my post and discovered that I might not have made myself quite clear. That's because I'm lacking a lot of sleep right now. Let me get this straight:
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Archer View Post
    But everything else is just a little too fragile anyway, so nothing lost really.
    What I meant to say with that was: any bike squad with less than six wounds (the minimum troops choice if you include an attack bike - what you always should for reasons I have recited countless times) is too fragile anyway. That's why I don't like full bike squads combat-squadded. Oh, and because they don't get many upgrade guns...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

I think that, if we look at the rules, it basically breaks down like this (assuming Bike Captain or Khan, obviously, with 5 bike threshold):

Bought as seen:
    5+ standard bikes = scoring
    3 standard bikes + AB (or less) = not scoring
    4 standard bikes + AB = scoring

Combat squaded (bought as an 8 bike 1 AB unit):
    5 standard bikes = scoring
    3 standard bikes + AB = scoring

As it states in the rules for combat squadding, the AB counts as two models, but only for the purposes of combat squadding. Ergo, if you buy a ten wound bike unit, you may get 2 scoring units from that, but for anything but combat squads the AB counts as only one model. Ergo, a 3 bike + AB squad can never be scoring if not bought from a combat squad.

+ Reply to Thread