Assault squad composition and tactics - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assault squad composition and tactics

Hello,

I'm looking for input because my friend and I were chatting while building some lists and we started discussing the inclusion of Assault Squads in my BT army.

Originally I had penned in a squad of 10, with a pair of plasma pistols and a fist, but my friend looked at me and said, why would you bother taking a squad of 10 when there's no downside to taking two squads of 5, only the benefit of being able to add more special ranged weapons and another fist, or p.sword, and then just running them up together if you want all 10 in combat (or however many make it). At the end of the match, they could even jump to contest two different control points if they survive.

So I'm wondering ... if you had the additional open fast attack slot, is there any reason why I'd want a single 10-man unit as opposed to two smaller units?

Thanks greatly for any input and discussion.

PS--> Just wondering what BT players prefer in their assault squads - flamers or plasma pistols. I don't like to build armies to face a particular opponent, as I play all kinds of armies, and I like having ONE list to carry around and perfect. As it stands, I *think* i might need more anti-horde, but the chance to roast MEQ and an additional attack from the pistol is hard to pass up. Sorry this PS became a bigger question that originally anticipated.

-A-

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by onebignerd View Post
    So I'm wondering ... if you had the additional open fast attack slot, is there any reason why I'd want a single 10-man unit as opposed to two smaller units?
    I personally would have to say no. IMO the only real practical use for assault squads in this edition of the Black Templars codex is flying meltabombs. At the end of the game yes they could contest more objectivs or tie up a couple more vulnerable units, but for a mere 120pts you can get 5 flying meltabombs that get closer the more you shoot at them. For tank hunting purposes 10 is overkill while 2 squads of 5 can hit twice as many tanks as 1 squad of 10.
    Ask me about the Black and White Space Marine on the Black and White Bike!!!

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

i used them alot, but they aren't competitive. however, if you want to run them i would suggest a squad of 7 and a power fist. a squad of five always got chomped and the storm shields never helped that much either. but yes as mr-biscuits said, they were litreally flying melta bombs. and anyway i rely on my bt bretheren in rhinos to do the job ^^. it's much better.
    thanks
    antique_nova
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input. I forgot to mention that I plan on giving them all melta bombs in case I played against a vehicle heavy list. I never play super competitively, I'm more of a modeler/painter than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Biscuits View Post
    ...but for a mere 120pts you can get 5 flying meltabombs that get closer the more you shoot at them...
    RZ excludes Jump Infantry from the 'any casualties' morale check, as states in p.23, paragraph 2 of the BT Codex. This was actually one thing I was curious about, because I was unsure if they were still subject to the second part of the RZ rule (paragraph 3), that states any infantry that passes a morale check must move towards the nearest enemy.

This would imply that only when the unit takes a normal, 25% casualty hit from enemy shooting does it test for morale and thus get the free move, which might mean 8 is the optimal number of troops, hoping for 2 casualties so a full 6 can get an extra bit of movement ... but I'm not sure if this line of thought is being proactive and realistic about casualties, or just plain evil lol

-A-

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

192 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by onebignerd View Post
    RZ excludes Jump Infantry from the 'any casualties' morale check, as states in p.23, paragraph 2 of the BT Codex. This was actually one thing I was curious about, because I was unsure if they were still subject to the second part of the RZ rule (paragraph 3), that states any infantry that passes a morale check must move towards the nearest enemy.

This would imply that only when the unit takes a normal, 25% casualty hit from enemy shooting does it test for morale and thus get the free move, which might mean 8 is the optimal number of troops, hoping for 2 casualties so a full 6 can get an extra bit of movement ... but I'm not sure if this line of thought is being proactive and realistic about casualties, or just plain evil lol

-A-
    Whoops, I missed that part, given I did end up turning my Templars back to codex marines, and so this has been the first time I've dusted of my 'dex in a while
    Last edited by Mr. Biscuits; December 10th, 2009 at 01:34. Reason: Multilingual keyboard changing punctuation to vowels with accents :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Biscuits View Post
    Whoops, I missed that part, given I did end up turning my Templars back to codex marines, and so this has been the first time I've dusted of my 'dex in a while
    I was considering playing them vanilla for a while, because I have no experience using the current SM codex, but I only have a handful of bolter-armed Templars. And I don't think I can convince anyone to count vanilla assault marines in a rhino as scoring

Back on point ... Given you think of these as essentially mobile melta bombs, would it not make some sense to arm two with flamers just in case? As I said, I tend to play all-comers lists, and flamers won't hamper the effectiveness of melta bombs, only add versatility to the unit in case I'm playing a horde or nids etc where the meltas are basically useless. 12 points doesn't seem like a lot in order to keep the unit useful beyond its primary focus of tank hunting.

-A-

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

192 (x4)

Personally I'd go for the flamers, in my codex marine army I am a huge fan of assault squads with flamers so as long as you don't get sidetracked and remember that their main duty is anti tank then it might give 'em something to do to 'nids, and after all it' only 12 points for the pair...

+ Reply to Thread