Need Help! 600 dollars for a Shooty SM Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Help! 600 dollars for a Shooty SM Army

So I have a few space marine models and want to expand (I'm just getting in the hobby but have played a few times and have read around 200$ worth of Black library books and I'm dying to play). I have a job now finally, 17 years old, and decided now is a good time to start.

So I have: AOBR Box set, tac squad, dev squad.

My focus is on a SHOOTY space marine army. I know they're a mid range army but if I could have them focus slightly more on long range I'd love it.

Here's what I'm thinking of getting, around 600 dollars retail price. I posted this on Rogue Market but I want a few more opinions

1. Another AOBR Box Set
    2. 2X Land Raider (regular since it's better for longer range)
    3. Predator
    4. Wirlwhind
    5. Scouts with snipers
    6. Space Marines with Assault Weapons
    7. 2X ironclad Dreads
    8. 2X sternguard veteran squad
    9. Space Marine Commander
    10. 3X Drop pods
    11. Space Marine Sternguard Veteran with Combi Weapon (plasma)
    12. Space Marine Chaplain with Crozius and Plasma Pistol
    13. Space Marine with Plasma Cannon
    14. Space Marine with Lascannon
    15 Another devastator squad

So all in all around 600 GW price, You can see I chose all units with long range weapons as their specialties but I'm sure I need more help. Which HQ? Chapter I decided on is well undecided, I want a crimson red army but I'm sure I'll play with vanilla rules

Thanks guys!

edit: Saw these, Might pick some up, not from that website http://store.miniwargaming.com/produ...roop-size.html

also decided on a chapter!!! http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki...uardOpener.jpg love the color scheme

Last edited by themandalorian; December 19th, 2009 at 09:42.
    Enter our contest to win 40k mini's!!!

http://www.40kterra.com/forums/showthread.php?p=52948

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

ZMB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

One thing that will not hurt is rhonos. The will keep your troops alive and help you get into that magical rapid firing range that anyone with bolter strives to get into. I really don't se the land raiders as shooty as for their points they are more of a transport for termies if you ask me. You really want to go shooty, then load up on them Dev squads as las cannons will help you stop the many rhino you are sure to face.

Egg Head Miniatures:fbook And Justice For All's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    963 (x8)

Agreed with the above. Drop the Landraiders and get Dev units. Also look at Dreds with heavy weapons, master of the forge with conversion beamer (on a bike is best but you'll have to model this) and finally Land Speeder Typhoons. They are just great.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x3)

Agree with the ones above but cant help but say - Assult termi's in a LR redemmer - I know you want shooty but these units are too good to miss.

A lot of people tend not to play the normal LR anymore.
    ----------
    Oh if you want that chapter then you need to get there HQ.
    Tau: 6K - W17-D3-L4, Orks: 4K - W9-D0-L2, SM: 7K - W7-D3-L4,CSM: 4K W5-D1-L1, Nids: 3.2K W3-D0-L2
    Apoc games (mixture of armies used): W5-D0-L1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad you're using the raven guard scheme. I'm doing the same thing.

with ur #13 and 14, why not get another dev squad, just a few bucks more, you get nearly triple of what u get if you buy them seperatley.

Instead of the AOBR set, why not go with the megaforce as it does come with the sniper scouts, 2 tactical, dreadnaught, predator and assualt squad. you will save a lot more this way as it covers #1, 3, and 5. Plus i believe it comes with a few extra assualt items you can swap out.

Also since your devastator squad comes with only 5 legs, but i believe 2 extra weaponry, you cna use the legs you get from any models you're not using in the megaforce and basically make a third devastator squad.

As for which HQ to use, a master of the forge with conversion beamer is nice as the farther away your enemy is, the more damage you do. plus you get bolster defense.

Lysander is pretty good as well, since you get bolster defense as well as bolter's drill.

Pedro with your sternguards are nice. Not to mention he's a chapter master

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

most of the shooty armies i see lately have been using vulkan fer the whole twin linked thing, it really is nice to have that fer your all your lascannons and really takes away the necessity for land raiders imo. The only other suggestion i guess i'd have for you is to at least run a little bit of tarpit for armies like orks or any other what have you CC army.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz5cl131KTk

I wonder if there will be cake.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raven Guard eh? sound goood, i'll also second that you should get assault termies, they own!!
    Nobody expects the Imperial Inquisition!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x3)

most of the shooty armies i see lately have been using vulkan fer the whole twin linked thing, it really is nice to have that fer your all your lascannons and really takes away the necessity for land raiders imo. The only other suggestion i guess i'd have for you is to at least run a little bit of tarpit for armies like orks or any other what have you CC army.
    Vulkan only twin-links the melta weapons and flamer/heavy flamers in the army, lascannons (or any other guns for that matter) aren't affected.
    Peace
    Nevermore Chapter: 6200 pts; 97/49/11; Longest Streak: 9 Wins/4 Losses; Nearing Completion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some Assault units and Rhino's gottit! I'll buy the Megaforce at my local GW since, I can't get it from my online friend and I'll help em out.

Should I buy a battleforce as well? And do you guys have a list suggestion topping at 600 dollars? I read from Dakka Dakka their suggestions on land Raider (normal pattern) I guess I'll buy one just to try!.

Also if I want another AOBR set the price of termies and another tac squad, AND a dread is too good!
    Enter our contest to win 40k mini's!!!

http://www.40kterra.com/forums/showthread.php?p=52948

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Rafici View Post
    Oh if you want that chapter then you need to get there HQ.
    Not true at all. You can design any chapter army list you want, and you don't have to use a special character to make it flavored to that specific army. Shrike doesn't represent the Raven Guard; he represents, at most, the Third Company of the Raven Guard.

If you need any help on the Raven Guard, in general, please do let me know. They're my one and only love when it comes to the Space Marines (and 40k in general, if you don't include the Dark Eldar) and I've spent a lot of time planning out lists, fluff, etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast