White Dwarf BA Codex: Any good? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White Dwarf BA Codex: Any good?

I haven't had the chance to play many games with the new edition rule, or the new 'codex'. I've payed afew games but am generally undecided as to my opinion of it so i was wondering what the BA players or their opponents on this forum think.

Personally I like the fact that BA now more practical firepower options like devestaors but feel they miss out on alot of bonus you could give other marines in the regular codex. At the same time they no longer get 'furious charge' cross the board etc.

And what I also want to field scout bikes, Iron clad Dreadnoughts, Stern guard(?). But it seems BA miss out on these options and don't really get any special rules or bonus' to make up for it.

Although the rules for Mephiston are quite simply evil. I almost feel guilty using him.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

BA can be quite vicious, certainly one of the few armies capable of competing without mech (although BA mech is also quite nice, with their speedy Baal Pattern Rhinos). My only complaint is that it is assumed that Death Guard are "free", yet you are clearly paying for them via higher unit prices. No big deal, as they're badass and a half, just something about the wording irks me.

They're the kings of fast, in your face MEQ combat goodness. Although Vanilla with Shrike takes away some of that edge, considering the added versatility with the Vanilla Codex.
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Personally I despise the half-baked pamphlet the BA are currently calling a codex. It's fine in high points games (although with some glaring holes in it) but in small point games I just find it unworkable thanks to the Death Company tax.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Chosen of Sanguinius View Post
    I haven't had the chance to play many games with the new edition rule, or the new 'codex'. I've payed afew games but am generally undecided as to my opinion of it so i was wondering what the BA players or their opponents on this forum think.
    Our opponents love it.

Personally I like the fact that BA now more practical firepower options like devestaors but feel they miss out on alot of bonus you could give other marines in the regular codex. At the same time they no longer get 'furious charge' cross the board etc.
    The removal of the old Black Rage mechanics made Devastators and such a much more feasible option, but the new 5th edition rules have an emphasis on mobility over static firepower. Furious Charge also made up the better part of the BA's close combat punch. Our infantry are kind of lost without it.

The price differences are also quite a handicap. A BA assault squad runs at about sixty points more expensive than a vanilla assault squad with no noticeable difference between the two.

Although the rules for Mephiston are quite simply evil. I almost feel guilty using him.
    Mephiston is a very mean HQ who got a big buff in the update, but his weakness is his lack of an invulnerable save. More importantly, the current BA setup involves carrying Dante for Preferred Enemy and Corbulo for his Furious Charge. Any other HQ choices are considered uncompetitive.

If you ask most of the BA players around here you'll find that the opinion is generally negative, to the extent that we risk barging headlong into "whiny bitch" territory.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty much what ze_poodle said. In addition to that, if you want to add Vanilla units (e.g. Scout Bikes) to your Blood Angels army, there's a nice PDF over at Bolter & Chainsword that has a smart tier system. However, if you want to use this PDF for your games, the other player has to agree, of course.
    "Fear not and look up to the sky for salvation, for we have entered orbit."
    Blood Angels 2nd Grail Guard Company

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

431 (x8)

The BA got it rough, not unlike what happened to DA. They're really only workable when spamming jump packers. Tons of assault marines, VAS with meltas comprise your anti-tank, and Dante/Corbulo give you preferred enemy and furious charge to make the most of your overpriced everythings.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread