Imperial Guard and Black Templar Allies - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Woof! Woof! Bark! Bark!!! aeroplane's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    569 (x7)

Imperial Guard and Black Templar Allies

There is a 750pt + 750pt doubles (1500 per team) tournament coming up, and a friend of mine with a shiny new Templars army wants to play.

I was wondering if anybody had any good ideas or experience with this, I have no experience with IG, and would use this as an excuse to start an army!!

I'm not looking for an army list (although I wouldn't mind...) but rather ideas and suggestions on how to equip the Templars and what specific IG units would be a really good compliment to a 750 pt BT army.

Thanks!

My insanely large Chaos Marine Army - look

Thier commander's motto-listen

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Black Templars typically shine in close combat (in my experiences), so play to their strengths. Imperial Guard excel at infantry and armour spamming, so play to that strength; bring lots of men and lots of tanks! Use the cheaper infantry to help cover his more expensive and harder hitting infantry, and give supporting fire with those battlecannons of yours. Should work out alright!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

I actually play both armies here, so hopefully I can help a bit.

BT has serious trouble killing tanks at range. Well, BTs have serious trouble killing anything at range, really, but tanks are worse. So if you really want to complement him, let him take the meltas and focus on lascannons/autocannons, trying to kill everything before he gets to it. You can't fire once he is in CC, so your job should be to destroy transports and such before they get locked in with the BT.

You can also act as a sort of diversion, letting him get upfield by drawing all of the fire from his rhinos (or big crusader squads, I think either might be viable in this case). To that end, vendettas, executioners, demolishers are all excellent fire magnets that can also kill things if they aren't asploded.

Have him focus on getting to the enemies, and you focus on killing light transports with autocannons and lascannons, and you will do great.
    "All I know is a door into the dark" -- The Forge, Seamus Heaney

No Rest For the Righteous Ebon Hand's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x3)

Just like Lost Nemesis said, you are going to want to bring armor to balance out the Black Templars. At 750, a Black Templars army wont have room for much aside from a couple beefy squads of Troops and an Hq(although the Emperor's Champion can fulfill this role), so you want to take care of anti-tank for him. Black Templars are lacking in ranged heavy support, especially at 750.

Things you want to try for are heavy weapon squads, Leman Russ's, maybe even a Basilisk or that artillery guy(master of ordnance I think?). Just be careful not to drop a scattering template on his battle brothers!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the conquest of it." -Anon

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, at 750 each, you shouldn't have to double up on armor killing essentials too badly, but I would definitely stock up on long range weaponry. BT love getting into the thick of everything, so let him. Shoot everything up from far away, camp on objectives, and let him clean up after the smoke clears. If he takes a few meltas along, and you maybe, maaaaaybe bring a few missiles launchers just in case, you should be able to form a pretty good combo. Autocannons are just as good as missile launchers if not better, but it might help to have some higher strength weaponry just in case. at 750, you could probably squeeze in a Demolisher or a standard Leman Russ for some extra heavy duty damage.

This is one of the rare instances where a 4th edition style gunline might be a pretty good plan.
    Last edited by SimSnow; December 21st, 2009 at 23:03.
    Formerly known as SimulatedSnowman

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Three Vendettas would be nice. Nothing like 3 x Outflanking Crusader squads armed with 9 x TL Lascannons moving on from the flanks to send shivers down your enemy's spine.

+ Reply to Thread