Airborne "Drop" Tank Ideas - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Airborne "Drop" Tank Ideas

Hello everyone. I am planning on running a Mech Steel Legion army primarily themed as an Airborne/Air Cav army with lots of Vendetttas/Valkyries. I am however after reading up on the American M551 Sheridan Airborne tank which literally was a tank they would drop off along with Airborne infantry. Now i was thinking in order to add some needed kick to my list that a few of these "drop" tanks would be a nice addition and create a cool sense of fluff for my army. However finding and converting the type of model w/ GW products seems a bit tricky. I have several ideas and i would love any ideas/feedback on what you think or what i could do:

IDEA #1:
    -Purchase a smaller IG tank such as a Chimera or Hellhound and put the tank gun barrel where the hull mounted sponser goes and vice versa to give it a more "compact" look. (making it look like a smaller lighter version of the forgeworld Destroyer Tank Hunter pictured here http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/destroyer.htm)

-Use Space Marine Vehciles such as the Rhino/Razorback and attempt to do the same conversion as mentioned above by placing the barrel in the front of the vehicle and the sponser where the turret should be.

These are the only ideas that i have come up with so far so any other thoughts/advice would be welcome and appreciated, look forward to hearing some great ideas

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

The Sheridan was more an assault gun than a tank. In general airborne AFVs tend to be a good bit lighter than their couterparts in the conventional ground forces, so my initial thought is that you'd probably do better to convert smaller tanks and use armored sentinel rules or something of that style than try to sell an airdropped AV14 Lumbering Behemoth
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only problem with that is my fast attack slots will be full with vendettas...so thats why im thinking about using a drop tank as a smaller form of tank with heavy firepower.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x5)

You could model up some tank-ish Hydras. They're effective and would be about right armor-wise, since they use a chimera chassis. Or maybe some Medusas with armored crew compartments and the proper carrying hooks.

Once again, I wish Armored Sentinels were elite choices.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x3)

You could do something along the line of armoured cars, and they could be dropped out of a plane without to much difficulty. I'm not sure what you could count it as. I am doing my armoured cars as chimeras, but you wanted something heavy... Maybe something along the lines of the M5 light tank? You could count it as a Griffon.
    2500 points of Empire for ToXG: Points painted for month 4: 0 Points painted overall: 510

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Come to think of it, there was an air-dropped vehicle you could probably model a Hydra to look like M50 Ontos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Admittedly the thing was never actually dropped (they only dropped Sheridans once in combat), but it seems to fit the bill.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was thinking of something more along the lines like a smaller version of a Leman Russ Eradicator which would fit the fluff since the less powerful cannon would fit the smaller tank and also would have some good anti troop capability, think that would work?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x5)

Yeah, but the Eradicator is still an AV14/13/10 MBT. All of the historical drop tanks were light tanks. Which means something based on a Chimera would be more appropriate.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

951 (x8)

Whatabout an assault gun on a chimera hull or a forgeworld centaur hull for a really compact design. Some 1:48 historical hulls can be 40k'd up by adding brass aquillas, and 40k vehicle accessories and weapons.

You could then write an apocalypse datasheet for the formation and rules for the new drop tank.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand that, yeah its armor may be a little to heavy to be fluffly, but then again i could always say its tougher due to the compact design of the vehicle and im thinking about converting some harrier jet engines to put on the sides to make it look like thats how it comes in, i just really need the extra anti troop killing power.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast