Kanak Skull takers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kanak Skull takers

ive always liked the idea of feral gaurdsmen and for some reason the kanak skull takers stand out to me. ive created a list that is supposed to represent the kanak themselves and the civilised imperial presence, i have no clue how effective this list will be but its kind of more for the theme for me but im not clueless that when it comes to IG mass fire power=happy day. also ideas on conversions will follow.

for my HQ ive taken 2 company command squads. 1 has medi pack, regimental standard, vox, gl, master of ordanance and psyker. this represents civilised presence in regiment. my 2nd squad are my kanak warcheifs. to me straken trasfers greatly into a feral society so he is my senior officer i also have nork deddog cuz whats a kanak hq without a ogryn body gaurd. the veterans are cc and have carapace armour.

i also took 5 ministorum preists as it is vital to insure the regiment remains loyal to the emperor

elites are 3 units of 3 ogryn (i like the idea of furious charging ogryn from being within 12" of straken)

troops are a platoon comand squad with all the trimmings and a grenade launcher and 2 infantry squads also with full trimmings and a squad of conscripts. these are the city folk. the kanak are 5 penal legion squads and for fast attack i have 2 rough rider squads

as far as conversions go most of it is fairly simple. my civilised troops will be represented by cadians and my kanak will be a mix of catachan and chaos marauder bits. i dont plan on using marauder heads (except for the bald ones) but im going to trim the mohawks and bandanas off of the catachan heads as best i can. for my rough riders i was thinking of using dark elf cold ones since the kanak come from a volcanic world reptiles seem to fit the bill with again a mix of chaos marauder and catachan bits.

well feedback?

"I don't wanna kill ya, you're just too ugly to let live!".

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Wow, that's like super fail.

At least it's a cool conversion idea.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Nifty theme but the execution will take a little work. I wouldn't use conscripts without a Lord Commissar or Chenkov, and with 5 penal legion squads you aren't hurting for meat. Just use the one platoon for a firebase. Actually, I would drop the platoon, too, and just go with penal legionnaires backed up with vehicles. You could rationalize that the more enlightened ferals have come to appreciate having armor plating and big, big guns instead of berzerk charges against superior foes. This would give you foot-sloggy (or outflanking!) grunts that aren't terrible in CC fighting alongside Russes and Helhounds that do the bulk of the killing.

One probem with your theme is that your Ogryn ideas will have to go. Nork is never worthwhile; ordinary bodyguards for Straken are more than enough. And three-man Ogryn squads are inadequate; they work best in units of at least five. Because of their bad initiative and armor your opponent will almost always go first and kill one or two Ogryns in the first CC phase. You must be able to weather that attack and still do enough wounds back to not lose combat, which is easy enough if you still have 3-4 Ogryns. Not that they aren't worthwhile, mind you--they're heavy bolter teams that can move around and beat up combat squads in hand to hand--but you can't go halfway with them.

The Rough Riders would be fine but I think that you'll need the points for tanks, if you use my ideas...and especially if you use Ogryn. I would bring only one priest and keep him near Straken. Do bear in mind, however, that the priest's bonus doesn't stack with counter-charging.

I like your conversion ideas. Always good to see a fluff-minded Guardsman!
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ==Me== View Post
    Wow, that's like super fail.
    Please, at least be a little constructive in your feedback. Not everyone can be as know-it-all as yourself, and it usually helps players a lot to receive constructive criticism as opposed to simply "don't do that." Check out Inrepid's post, that's what constructive feedback should look like.

Bloodwolf, I like the idea behind the list, but definitely take some of Intrepid's points into consideration; designing fluffy lists doesn't necessarily have to always limit their competitive nature, after all. I don't see the Skull Takers necessarily being completely melee oriented, or not knowing how to fire weapons, or anything too savage about them; the main image we have of them, after all, has a Skull Taker holding a pistol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Honestly, I thought it was a joke post initially, hence ==My== laconic response. He picked basically every bad unit in the Codex, all it's missing is Punishers and Basilisks.

Straken is useful, but he works best when buffing up units that can actually hold their own in assault. Grey Knights and infantry blobs are the ones.

2 CCS is kinda pointless if you have nothing worth ordering.

Nork, Rough Riders, Ogryns, Conscripts, Priests and tricked out anythings are extremely poor.

Penal Troops are amusing, but not worth it as a main line unit or assault unit, just a fun diversion.

If you wanna do a feral IG army, I'd recommend focusing on the good stuff. Straken + blobs of infantry with commissars and plenty of power weapons provide the big mass of bodies while HWS, Vets/Stormies in Chimeras (real soliders, not this rabble) and other armor provide the necessary firepower to handle armor and real assault units that will give your mobs trouble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i thank everyone for their comments.

To intrepid: my original plan was to use the platoon as a fire base but im still debating what to do with them. as far as the ogryn what if i dropped nork, all but one preist and the rough riders and took 2 units of 5 ogryn. also after thinking about it i like the idea of tanks in a feral regiment. im imagining kanak style tattoos represented as warpaint on the tanks. also what if i dropped the 1st platoon command and took a commisar lord in their place as i would kind of like to keep my conscripts for bulk?

To ==me==: the comment of my picking every bad unit in the game is a matter of opinion.
    "I don't wanna kill ya, you're just too ugly to let live!".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

431 (x8)

Naw dude, Rough Riders, Ogryns, Priests, Nork and Conscripts are all pretty terrible. It'll be a fun themed list, but a competitive list that does not make.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x2)

Me's advice is often short and counter productive. ===We've=== had a falling out or two but despite that I do think Me's opinions are right the vast majority of the time. Most of those units you mention are considered the least competitive units available to guard. I know you're looking for a themed army and I wouldn't want to discourage you from making something unique and potentially fun. You've got to win a little to really have fun though so I will try to help.

Penal Troops do look like fun. They are also random enough that they look like they really could be effective, it all depends on who you're playing and what you have supporting them.

Maybe have melta vet's with shotguns? You could put them in vendetta's and try to give them sort of an "Apocalypse Now" feel. A shotgun + cc weapon don't add to your attacks so there is no limit to the number of blades you could model on these guys. They'd still just be vets with shotguns.

Ogryns can still get in chimeras. It might be a waste of points but giving the chimeras dozer blades might add to a jungle theme. I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

You HAVE to take Marbo.
    Last edited by YounGunner; January 4th, 2010 at 19:55. Reason: HaHA!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x2)

Unless you object to giving savages plasma, I don't know why you would, 5 squads combined with 5 plasma guns, 12 inches or closer to your Company Commander using the "bring her down" order can re-roll their misses which saves plenty of would be burn victims. Give them a commissar, not a priest. Then they won't run away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

431 (x8)

Lucky for you, the essentials of a solid IG army are fairly cheap so you can fit in the suboptimal stuff. You need your anti-armor (meltas/S10 ordnance for the heavy stuff, autocannons for the rest), anti-horde (flamers, templates, high RoF weapons) and flexible units (melta Vets, Hellhounds, anything that can perform multiple roles) with plenty of backup.

Ogryns are pretty pants no matter how you run them, they just don't have the chops to be a serious threat in assault. The best you can do is stick an allied Witch Hunters Priest in with them (it's not an IC). Shove them in a Chimera and unload at midfield and mill about absorbing fire or just generally be annoying.

Rough Riders are one hit wonders and not even that wonderful, plus T3 dudes with a 5+ save don't last long in the open.

Penal Troops are fun, but definitely not material to base your army around.

You can make it work, but you're going to have to decide whether you're willing to sacrifice theme for effectiveness or vice versa.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast