Assault Squad or Vanguard Veterans? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Assault Squads or Vanguard Veterans

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Assault Squads

22 81.48%
  • Vanguard

5 18.52%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assault Squad or Vanguard Veterans?

Yeah, pretty much, I have 5 man squads of both and I got a box of assault marines for christmas and I was wondering if I should add them to my normal Assault Squad or my Vanguard Veterans

When you fail to drink the Banana of Plasma, succeed in eating the Coffee Bean of Truth

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Please remember to include a close date on all polls.

*date added*
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

I voted regular assault marines simply because I like how they can be CHEAPER and the sergeant can shred stuff up. Plus the shear number of attacks is nice. I agree they don't all carry meltas, can't have multiple storm shields, multiple power weapons, etc...however for the cost points wise...it's allows me to throw in ALOT of other things instead of a single 400-600 point squad.

I wish Vanguard would HIDE IC's too like a command squad. They'd be devastating...
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Is neither an option?

Jump pack marines not in a Blood Angels army kinda suck. They're either too expensive (Vanguard) or too ineffectual (Assault Marines), die as easily as normal marines and have no protection from a Rhino to keep them alive.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

It won't let me vote but I say assualt marines. Vanguard are just too expensive.
    Remember that you can give flamers to assualt marines which can improve them a lot.
    Also you can take their jump packs off and put them in a rhino makng them less vulnerable. However this also makes them slower-no run (and no charge if the rhino moves).

Howver, Vanguard are viable if you are running a deep strike army as the drop pod locator beacon means that they're going to kill one squad and wil probably draw fire (or kill something else next turn).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ==Me== View Post
    Is neither an option?

Jump pack marines not in a Blood Angels army kinda suck. They're either too expensive (Vanguard) or too ineffectual (Assault Marines), die as easily as normal marines and have no protection from a Rhino to keep them alive.
    I disagree, Vanguard can come without jump packs and can deliver more of a punch than anything I've seen on the table top if given a chaplain. The squad I run with a chaplain has the veteran sergeant with dual powerfists and two other veterans with powerfists, as well as three veterans with power weapons, two with stormshields, and one with a ccw and bolt pistol. This may be a bit point heavy but trust me, it is well worth the points. I normally put them in a rhino and they are fairly safe in the way I run them, and once they get into combat...only the strongest characters and squads can take this on when they charge. and they are relatively hard to kill with the armor and invulnerable saves.
    I serve my master and do as he wants. He wants the badlands, thus they will be his.
    -Shriva the Damned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I voted Assault Marines. Vanguard are a very expensive unit, especially if you give them jump packs. Kitting them up can also make them too effective leaving you in the open during your opponent's turn.

A unit of 10 Vanguard Veterans that get the charge are very likely to wipe out their target. A unit of 5 costs significantly less (can be in the region of a 10 man Assault Marine squad depending on equipment) and are more likely to stay locked in combat for your opponents turn.
    A 5 man Assault Marine squad on the other hand has too little punch while a 10 man squad with a pair of flamers can soften up the target and then charge in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBludgen View Post
    I disagree, Vanguard can come without jump packs and can deliver more of a punch than anything I've seen on the table top if given a chaplain. The squad I run with a chaplain has the veteran sergeant with dual powerfists and two other veterans with powerfists, as well as three veterans with power weapons, two with stormshields, and one with a ccw and bolt pistol. This may be a bit point heavy but trust me, it is well worth the points. I normally put them in a rhino and they are fairly safe in the way I run them, and once they get into combat...only the strongest characters and squads can take this on when they charge. and they are relatively hard to kill with the armor and invulnerable saves.
    Assault troops in a Rhino is a bad idea since you can't hop out and charge. Just like jump pack Vanguard, they're too expensive and die as easily as normal marines.

I'll take 5 Assault Termies in a LRR any day, cheaper and better in every way.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by ==Me== View Post
    Assault troops in a Rhino is a bad idea since you can't hop out and charge. Just like jump pack Vanguard, they're too expensive and die as easily as normal marines.

I'll take 5 Assault Termies in a LRR any day, cheaper and better in every way.
    Assault troops CAN hop out and assault. before movement, disembark, MOVE 6" and assault 6" (also you can move the transport after they disembark, can we say 'Block Line of Sight'). Basically get your rhino within 14" and whammo.

I assume assault termies would be the same way, am I missing how you'd do it differently. Or can Termies move right into their line and assault?
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Egg Head Miniatures:fbook And Justice For All's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    963 (x8)

Went with assault marines as they will get more use in games. I've got 10 Vanguard made from plastic sets and they look good (for table top at least) but only get used in bigger games. I'm talking 2k upwards.

Assault marines with a flamer, plas pistol and power fist has done me proud for years.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast