Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
So I'm a firsttime player slowly assembling my models but I'm lost, what upgrades should I put on. I have heard you can use magnets but I'd rather do that after I've had some experience.
So what are the best upgrades? For example Predator: Dozer blade, Smoke, extra armor, what to take?
Firstly make sure you have your codex to hand. You'll find that things like smoke are standard on marine vehicles in the main. Search lights too but they look a bit rubbish IMHO so I usually point at the headlights and say 'just turned them on'.
Hardly anyone I know uses the dozer blades in games.
Hope that helps. Read through the forum and look at the discussions re:different squads to get a flavour of what works and what doesn't.
Extra Armour's usually a good choice to put on your transports, in order to retain mobility. If you know your facing a swarm army, then extra pintle storm bolters on rhinos and dakka preds and razerbacks aren't entirely bad ideas, either.
Mostly, it's a matter of asking yourself if said upgrade will really help you out in whatever position your in. But most of the time it's better to spend any spare points you have on meltabombs and such thing for your infantry types.
Don't bother with upgrades generally, they take up points and add up quickly. It's better to have more disposable units than a handful of lynchpins.
Well I meant all units, the rhino was just an example
Oh right well in that case
- Always take every special or heavy weapon you can (even if you'll be moving or in a tank 90% of the time, that 1 missile launcher or multimelta shot will save the day a lot more than a bolt shell will)
- Powerfists (or Thunder Hammers) on all your non-Devestator Sergeants, but never on Chapter Masters or Captains. Not usually worth taking on Chaplains or Librarians either.
- Relic Blades for anyone who can have them
- Lightning Claw and Bolter is usually better than Power Sword and Bolt Pistol
- Plasma Guns and Pistols are a liability, Cannons are just beautiful if you face a lot of MEQ.
- Only take meltabombs if you expect to face Land Raiders, powerfists will do the job more effectively with multiple attacks
- If your librarian is footslogging, give him Terminator Armour. If you give him Terminator Armour, give him Vortex of Doom
Thanks I've heard good stuff about Power fists. Is 2 lightning claws and a bolt pistol good
Powerfists are really the infantry's constant companion in assault. Very slow, but when you need those last few kills to swing things in your favour, it almost always delivers. They're somewhat expensive though, so only put them on squads with a decent chance of seeing combat.
Unless you've given up combat tactics for something else, don't bother with powerfists in Tactical Squads. They are cheap support units and while handy, 2 S8 attacks aren't really going to turn the tide in their favor. Dedicated CC units can go nuts on them, but keep your Tacticals cheap and out of combat.