Armored Battle Group? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

Armored Battle Group?

I have not seen any threads about runing an ABG and was wondering with the IA1 update for the ABG was worth running. I have about 13 Russ tanks (not all built) and i am looking at haveing a list that takes advantage of that.

Sample list.

HQ:
    Company command tank
    - Vanquisher (hull Lascannon)

Troop:
    2 Armored Fist squad (missle launcher, plasma)
    -Chimera (multi-laser, hull H.B.)

Leman Russ Punsiher (hull H.B., H.B. Sponsons)

Leman Russ Punsiher (hull H.B., H.B. Sponsons)

Leman Russ Executioner (Hull Lascannon, Plasma Cannon Sponsons)

Leman Russ Eradicator (hull H.B., H.B. Sponsons)

Elite:
    Squadron Tank Commander
    - Leman Russ Battle Tank (Hull Lascannon)

Fast Attack:
    3 Armored Sent. (Lascannon)

Hellhound (Hull H.B.)

With this list I still have 2 scoreing units in the Armored Fist and have the ability to tank a lot of tank without haveing to put them in squadrons. Let me know if i am headed in the right direction or if i scattered off the table with this list.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x3)

Is this a legal army list? I remember the armoured company list being on GW's website, but I don't think it's there anymore. I wish it was of course, as armoured companies are very cool. But if this is an actual list, then could you possibly direct me to it?

Anyway, about the list. I love Punishers and they're great fun, but for a competitive gamer, they are not the best choice. They are completely useless at taking down vehicles, and even wit 20 shots(!), they never make as many kills as say, a demolisher, or even a standard LR. If anything, they need Pask to be effective at all.

Vanquishers as a command tank? I don't know which list you're using, but generally. they aren't that good. In a command tank role though, they may well be better.
    2500 points of Empire for ToXG: Points painted for month 4: 0 Points painted overall: 510

Lord Cupcake of Senteria Grey2321's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x1)

I think the OP is referring to this: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/pdf/IA1update28AUG.pdf
    Space Marines: W15/L7/D3
    Imperial Guard: W6/L4/D0
    Daemonhunters: W4/L1/D1

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x5)

The main reasoning behind the Punishers it that the people i play against like to spread everything out 2". So normaly i don't hit more then a few models with even a large template. With the Punisher equiped with 3 HBs and say a heavy Stubber it does not matter how they are spread out.

The vanquisher is there of course for a long range anti-tank unit. I was thinking that +1 to hit is better then -1 scatter on a template, average roll on 2d6 is 7 -4=3" scatter still. or hit on a 3+. And with a template that is 2.5' radius the center will most likely miss the hull of the tank and only hit at 1/2 str. And @ 180pts its not a big sink compaired to some other tanks.

@grey2321 Yes that is the list i am refering to.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x5)

Back to the main topic... Does anyone here play or have seen the new ABG Played? And if so can I get some input on weather it is a viable army still with why/why not.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x5)

Looking through that list makes me wish the IG Codex had an option for a Command Russ with BS4. Maybe with a character-unlocking option to take 1 BS4 Russ as an Elites choice for every 2 Troop choices you take.

That would allow for a decent 7-Russ list with 6 Chimera-bourne Vet Squads.

Edit: And maybe another (mutually exclusive) character that could give orders like "Bring it Down", or "Fire on My Target" to Russ squadrons.
    Last edited by SandWyrm; January 14th, 2010 at 21:30.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x5)

The Company Command Tank is BS4. That is why I have my vanquisher there. see http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/pdf/IA1update28AUG.pdf (PDF posted on Forgeworld website). It also allows Russ' and Armored Fist to be taken as troop choices, But as the Russ can not take an objective so i have 2 of the fist squads. I also am under the understanding that i can not issue orders to tanks, nor would i have the propper units to issue the orders.

The list does have the ability to field 23 Russ' and 9 more tanks in an Ord. Battery in 1 FOC. Sounds like fun to me.

+ Reply to Thread