Storm Riders: maori Space marines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Storm Riders: maori Space marines

here is a brief history of my space marines chapter

Homeworld
    Located within the Wheel of Fire, Tempest is an ocean world inhabited by tribal warriors who spend their lives upon gigantic ships known as va’a, each of which isthousands of years old and large enough to support hundreds. it is believed that the va’a were the colony ships brought to the planet by the original colonists . When explorators of the adeptus mechanicus discovered Tempest in the wake of the Space Wolves 519th crusade they theorised that sometime in the planets history there was once a significant amount of landmass upon the planet and that a great storm flooded the planets surface, indeed this is how the planet came to be named as it is frequently ravaged by great storms each of which can last months at a time creating waves large enough to envelop a Warhound Titan. The storms of the planet proved too harsh to conquer and the adepts deemed the planet unsuitable for any real use and it was abandoned along with those colonists who had arrived with them.

It wasn’t until the Imperial year 989 that the planet gained any real significance to the Imperium. Though the Space Wolves had broken the Ork forces in the sector they had not completely eliminated it, of the 500 worlds located in the sector very few remained relatively untouched by the wars of chaos and the Ork. Following the 519th crusade the high lords of the Adeptus Terra deemed that an Astartes presence was needed to ensure peace in the Wheel of Fire. And so it was that the Storm Riders space marine chapter was created during the 26th founding.

Organization
    When the Storm Riders arrived upon Tempest they discovered a hardy race of warriors bred upon the sea. being raised to hunt the beasts of the deep, to swim longer than any other and to raid rival ships taking slaves and goods in order to survive. the planet had bred great hulking warriors covered in tattoos each of which represents a past battle fought. The planet was rich in warrior blood and provided the perfect homeworld for the Astartes Chapter, Indeed many traditions of the planets tribes have found a place within the Storm Riders chapter, such as the taking of a hated enemies head which are then shrunken and worn to show all the warriors prowess in battle, or more noticeably the practice of tattooing the skin and the elders of the chapter sport a great many of these intricate designs indeed the Chapter Master is completely covered as is tradition.

As is the way of the tribes to be lead by an Ariki or chieftain so it is that each company of the chapter is lead by an Ariki Matai whose role is similar to a captain of other chapters. It is from these warriors that a Chapter Master or Tino Rangatiratanga is chosen when his successor dies, this is decided in a process of duels known as Haka. The winner of which will take up the Spear of The Ancestors, claim his place upon the throne of the Abyss and lead his chapter to war among the stars. The current Chapter Master is the mighty warrior Whetu Tane

The chapter itself utilizes surprise raids and ambush tactics though they are not fond of bikes or jet packs. Instead they deploy their troops through the use of Drop Pods supported by an unusually large number of Land Speeders and scouts, the chapter has also shown significant numbers of flamer wielding brothers.

Fortress Monastery
    As Tempest is a planet devoid of land mass the Storm Riders were forced to The Abyss, a legendary underwater channel much feared by the planets populace who believe that it is inhabited by demons. The fortress itself is a vast complex straddling the wall of the trench, The Abyss was the only successful structure built by the Adeptus Explorators all though it to was abandoned along with the planet until it was taken and reinforced by the chapter.

"I don't wanna kill ya, you're just too ugly to let live!".

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

This is a great post with an excellent idea, but it should be in the Army Fluff forum where all the fluffmeisters hang out. The Marine forum is for tactical discussion.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Thinks he's a big deal rafis117's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x4)

Looks nice, a couple of (admittedly nitpicky) issues.

-The Space Wolves had 519 crusades in... 989 years? Now that's proactive!
    -Where did all that water come from? The entire massive landmass was flooded. Were there massive glaciers that decided to end it all or something?
    -"hardy warriors" It's pretty much assumed that your recruits have solid brass balls to be eligible. Unless there is something particularly special about these BOBs, don't emphasize it.
    -Your dudes live in massive ships, thousands of years old and unimaginably, unrealistically massive. And from this they get... lightning strikes? I would have predicted Rhinos converted to look amphibian.
    -If there was no land, why not just stay in space? Why go through all of the bother of living underwater? (Never mind the exorbitant energy costs of escape velocity.)
    Terminator armor going critical would be like Three Mile Island only very, VERY angry, and carrying a hammer.
    LO rules in a nutshell: Don't post unit costs, be polite, rep posts containing of win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by rafis117 View Post
    -The Space Wolves had 519 crusades in... 989 years? Now that's proactive!
    If you take "crusade" as synonymous with "military campaign", it's totally reasonable, travel times aside. Marines don't fight protracted conflicts, but they are always fighting.

-Where did all that water come from? The entire massive landmass was flooded. Were there massive glaciers that decided to end it all or something?
    How does Baal produce oxygen if it's a planet-wide desert with barely any atmosphere? Though I agree that the homeworld needs some backstory to explain the whole Waterworld thing.

-Your dudes live in massive ships, thousands of years old and unimaginably, unrealistically massive. And from this they get... lightning strikes? I would have predicted Rhinos converted to look amphibian.
    Man, what would an amphibian Rhino look like? Floaties under the treads?

I do agree, though. You should emphasise the fast attack strategies on their homeworld. Big colony ships, and fleets of little pirate ships that run around raiding the big colony ships. You could even mirror this in the Chapter's fleet organisation.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have actually chosen to represent the raiding aspect of the chapter throught the use of land speeders in my army. i have a total of nine. the 519 crusades isnt my own number i took it from lexicanum.com in the Wheel of Fire section.

as far as the land vs space aspect what would be easier to defend? a vast subaquatic fortress hanging on the edge of a huge ravine. pr a space station orbiting the planet. i also didnt want my marines to be like the iron snakes as they are not based on their homeworld but there world is in majoridly a water world.

i will think of something to represent why the world flooded but honestly it never crossed my mind as i was focused more on the chapter itself

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

I really like this fluff. It's pretty original and well thought out. Native-style Space Marine Chapters have largely not been explored that much (exceptions are the Native American influences present in the Deathwing and the Mongols of the White Scars), so heavily tattoed Maori-style Space Marines would look excellent if executed right. Have you had any ideas for colour schemes or equipment styles? How are you going to exert this influence on the armour?

Some things need to be clarified a little first, but it's already been touched upon above:

- How did the planet flood the landmass? Water is a finite resource, it has to come from somewhere. Glaciers melting is a solid idea, but how did they melt? Maybe the Explorator ships hurtling through the atmosphere caused a chain reaction which very slightly increased the temperature by a few degrees

- I'm pretty sure there is a bit of text in the Codex stating Rhino APC's are actually capable of operating underwater, as all of it's engine systems are internal.

- I must admit, heavy use of scouts and drop pods make them sound a little like Raven Guard. While nothing wrong with that, why Drop Pods in particular? What part of their way of life permanently at sea translates to mass drop pod assaults and land speeders?

But yeah, overall, I love it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

- I must admit, heavy use of scouts and drop pods make them sound a little like Raven Guard. While nothing wrong with that, why Drop Pods in particular? What part of their way of life permanently at sea translates to mass drop pod assaults and land speeders?
    It actaully does make sense. Drop pods for fast strikes against underwater targets, and speeders for moving around above the waters. In fact, such a chapter would probably field a much larger volume of Storms then most chapters.

Thinks he's a big deal rafis117's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by watchwood View Post
    It actaully does make sense. Drop pods for fast strikes against underwater targets, and speeders for moving around above the waters. In fact, such a chapter would probably field a much larger volume of Storms then most chapters.
    Right... but his story is all about massive, ponderous ships. Like I said before, Rhinos (and Land Raiders come to think of it) fit his current story much better.

Assuming that Jarl already bought his models (or just likes his army build), it is a lot cheaper and more convenient to change the story than the army.

Perhaps the method of warfare that they use involves small, nimble ships launched from the massive motherships that you already mentioned, which disturb their prey less and allow them to be closer to the surface of the water to fish. This would account for both the long life of the motherships, and for their lightning-attack style (with the Battle Barge/Strike Cruiser/Thunderhawk as a proxy for their ships).
    Terminator armor going critical would be like Three Mile Island only very, VERY angry, and carrying a hammer.
    LO rules in a nutshell: Don't post unit costs, be polite, rep posts containing of win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

415 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by rafis117 View Post
    Perhaps the method of warfare that they use involves small, nimble ships launched from the massive motherships that you already mentioned, which disturb their prey less and allow them to be closer to the surface of the water to fish. This would account for both the long life of the motherships, and for their lightning-attack style (with the Battle Barge/Strike Cruiser/Thunderhawk as a proxy for their ships).
    This is exactly what I was thinking. It fits the desired method of warfare without giving up the appeal of gigantic motherships as the centrepiece of an islander-style pirate fleet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i thank everyone for their feedback. i posted a reply but it didnt seem to register and i dont have time now to do a full answer to everyones inquiries and ideas but i will as soon as i can.

i will say that rafis117 is right in the method of warfare which is present in both the chapter and the people of Tempest

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast