Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I'm wanting to add allies, from the DH codex, to my Cadia force. Of course, as always, I have questions
1. I'm having problems lately with incoming DS lists, and I see Mystics can help. How would I equip my Inquisitor/retinue to have an edge against these DSing nutballs I'm always playing with?
2. I'm interested in adding assassins. When I'm not using a Culexus, I'd like to have another opinion. I like both the Callidus and Eversor, but is there one which is better?
3. I'm hoping to add a squad of PW GKs. I was thinking either starting them with my force with two psycannons, or DSing them with two incinerators. Thoughts?
Any and all help/thoughts/opinions are welcome!
Heya, I to use allied DH a lot so I can help you out here.
1) Cheap as hell is usually best. Inquisitor, BP + CCW, x2 Mystics and stick them in a IG Chimera. If you want them to be a little more useful, maybe a multimelta servitor or some cheap plasma warriors. Psychic hood if you need it, but then hierophants would be needed for the LD bump and then the squad starts getting pricey.
2) Honestly, I'd never take a Culexus, he's only useful in very specific circumstances and doesn't fit a balanced list overly well. Really depends on what you like best with the Callidus or Eversor, both of them have been a great help to me. The Callidus causes no end of frustration to opponents: moving their troops at deployment is grand and being able to attack pretty much where ever she wants is great. The Eversor usually only gets one charge in, but he is great at ripping through MCs tough units. Always wounding on a 4+ with 4 + D6 attacks can be devastating.
3) I wouldn't deep-strike. They will likely get shot to pieces and you lose a very pricey unit with out doing much; they also lose the ability to be scoring units. A 5 man squad with two psycannons in an IG chimera is nuts. Or keep them on a back objective to take advantage of The Shrouding and shoot away.
Just a personal taste thing, but I'd personally upgrade an Inquisitor and retinue to be shooty death; grab some Servitors with heavy bolters and a plasma cannon, give your Inquisitor a psycannon, throw the mystics in, and have at it! Deploy them where you want the fewest deep strikers to show up, and watch the opponent squirm; he'll have to choose between deep striking them there anyway (2-3 heavy bolters, a plasma cannon, and a psycannon can be very dangerous to one's health) or somewhere else, which allows YOU to influence his decisions. This is always a good thing. Keeping him and the retinue cheap, I don't think they're nearly as effective.
Cheap as hell can get you cheap returns as well.
since it sounds like you're wanting to take an assassin, get a DH Inq. Lord w/psycannon, and then depending on how much you're wanting to spend...
put a psychic hood on him.
add in 2-3 mysitcs
or 3 Hbolter servitors are popular on top of that as well. it's a lot of shots vs. DS infantry.
I personally like 2Hbolters and a plasma cannon. I also pick up 2 sages then to give me a re-roll on the 'gets hot', and to be able to re-roll scatter if I want.
that's getting pricey, but in cover, they're pretty tough and shooty.
In a stolen Chimera, your opponent will want to be shaking that machine like a well hidden coke dispenser on a hot day.
for assasins, I wouldn't recommend a culexus, unless you KNOW you're fighting psykers, and lots of them. Go with the Callidus. she's good, my personal favorite. She is like a scalpel, and can hit hard wherever she wants, or go with the Eversor, if run up and slap stuff around is your personal flavor.
with PAGK's, keep 'em on foot (and in cover), or put the unit of 5 w/2psycannons inside a chimera. don't Deep Strike them. it's asking to get shot up pretty bad when they come in. You COULD take 10 PAGK's and stick 'em in a chimera to get them across the board, then charge to your heart's content.
Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org
the DH and SOB codexes may be replaced soon (removed from website recently), so don't count on mystic allies for much longer. (I guess)
Adeptus Mechanicus Marines: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ml#post1655065
I doubt they'd get rid of allies. If anything, they'll make more units eligible. Its a really sneaky back door into someones wallet. They just have to make the rest of the codex full of units that "you" can't get, and people will start with allies, then go into the full army.