Terminator as troops in SM 5th edition Codex - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terminator as troops in SM 5th edition Codex

Quick question I wanted to run by you to see if the 5th ed codex has an option to allow you to take terminators as troops. I have not picked up the new ed yet, and was curiuos if that is posible or strictly handled by the Dark Angels codex now? Thanks for the input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Toy Soldier Aficionado Wolf Guard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

I don't believe it is possible in the Vanilla Dex, but it is allowed in the Space Wolf Dex (if you take Logan Grimnar) and it is of coarse allowed in the Dark Angels Dex.
    The Wolf time is upon us!
    Rep for the Rep God! Positive for the Positive Throne!
    Armies: Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Emperors Children, Necrons, Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space Wolf Terminator list

Thanks for the info. Spacewolfs sound like a good way to do it then. I have been shying away from the DA codex due to the increased cost of everything and the fact that the dex is dated.. I am wanting to make a Chaos themed chapter based off any codex that allows me to take terms as troops. Modeling and paint schemes are going to cosist of random green stuff coruption with the armor painted as though it was molten metal or lava.

Any ideas for a 1500 SW temie list. I have a 3 vehicles so far (Landraider, and 2 Dreads) and a handfull (20+) Black Reach Terms waiting for conversion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x2)

Well if you have been shying away from the DA codex due to points cost, I don't know if you want to look at the Wolves Termies. A Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield Terminator is 63 points...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

*Thread Moved to "Space Marines" forum*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, just picked up the SW dex, and realized Logan Grimnar's cost is in the high 200's, as well. I have never been too much of a fan of names charcters, especially ones that cost more than a whole squad of elite troops.

I might need to break down and get the DA dex and see which one will better suit my army style. Since I am making a new renegade chapter, I don't think it makes too much of a difference whos dex I choose, so long as I get termies as troops.

Don't get me wrong, I am not looking for the Win button, but if I am going to be spending around 1000+ pts on 25 dudes, it seems hard to drop almost another 300 on HQ. thoughts?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

Logan *is* a pretty expensive unit, though he's pretty badass as well. And basic SW termies are a fair bit cheaper then basic DA termies, though the weapons options are all added costs instead of free upgrades.

The problem is that while the DA character for termy troops is much cheaper, DA termies have a couple deficiencies of their own. They start off much more expensive, they're limited to 5 man squads, and their storm shield is the far inferior 4th ed kind.

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

This has come up a few times. I play Deathwing using the DA rules. There's a few pros and cons both ways, but these are the ones in a nutshell:

Codex: Space Wolves
    Pros:
    - Updated SM equipment (3+ Storm Shields, two-shot Cyclone Missile Launchers, BS4 Land Raider Machine Spirit)
    - Flexible squad sizes (3-10 WG)
    - Logan Grimnar is an incredibly effective character and force multiplier
    Cons:
    - Equipment is more expensive (TH/SS in particular)
    - Logan Grimnar, the necessary HQ choice, is also very expensive
    - Venerable Dreadnought upgrade, weapon options, etc is more expensive

Codex: Dark Angels
    Pros:
    - Belial is a very cheap HQ choice
    - Terminator Apothecaries and Standard Bearers
    - Ability to mix and match weapons in Deathwing squads for free (except special weapons)
    - Deathwing Assault mimics Drop Pod rules without extra kill points
    Cons:
    - Outdated SM equipment (4+ Storm Shields, one-shot CML, BS2 Machine Spirits)
    - Belial is not a terribly effective HQ choice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thx for the quick and dirty breakdown Ravendove, and I think based off of what you gave me i am leaning towards the SW, due mainly to it just being a newer codex, I have always shy'd away from older dexes, for fear of them being abandoned. I guess to if you are going to go with an elite army list might as well have an elite HQ to go with it.

Plan on sitting down tonight to read through the dex and putting together a 1500pt list, so I will update that when possible.

Does anyone know of any fluff regarding renegade SW chapters. Looking for some inspiration for conversions and paint schemes. Thx again.

BTW currently playing:
    2000+ Orks (all clans united)
    2500+ Chaos Space Marines (Undivided)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x2)

The only "renegade" fluff for Space Wolves that has been put out by GW that I know of is when the Red Corsairs took over the Cruiser "The Wolf of Fenris". Even then the fluff states "Several" Space Wolves turned on there brethren. Several in my mind is 6 at most... Not enough to make a squad.

Here is some Fan fluff THAT I DID NOT WRITE!

Skyrar’s Dark Wolves are a recently organized renegade warband centered around the previous 8th Great Company before Sven Bloodhowl was elevated to the rank of Wolf Lord. The Great Company had been declared excommicates be the Ordo Hereticus in response to a inncendet whitch saw the Space Wolves 5th Great Company devastated. Though the 8th company pleaded innocence the Ordo would not back down, despite the protests of the Great Wolf Logan Grimnar, due to lack of factual evidence. The company , at the time around 250 marines, was pursed into the Maelstrom and not heard from sense. Recently the Renegades were discovered in the Fenris Sector accompanied by elements of the World Eaters Legion and the Renegade Warband, The Flawless Host. The Ordo Herecticus engaged with a Large IG contingent lead by the Order of our Martyred Lady. The battle, mainly occurring in space, was lost due to several boarding actions in which the Sisters and imperial Guard forces were poorly suited. During the engagement the Dark Wolves were discovered to be obedient to a previous unheard of lesser Chaos Power called Skyrar, of what we known the chaos power reveals itself as a goddess of hospitality, and seems to attract those looking for sanctuary from the Imperium and forging new bonds of brotherhood that they are unable to find elsewhere. While not near as powerful as the 4 Dark Powers, Skyrar is rising in influence as many pirates and excommunicated forces are fleeing from persecution to her protection.

Here is some more that I DID NOT WRITE

Quick Analysis

Skyrar's Dark Wolves are a Chaos warband made up of the remnants of the Space Wolves 7th Company led by Wolf Lord Skyrar whom they saved from being executed by Logan Grimnar for being cursed by the Wulfen.

Background

Skyrar was known throughout the Imperium as being a brave benevolent but also merciless fighting machine and was held in very high regards among the Space Wolves and worship greatly by the 7th Company even more so than there Primarch Leman Russ. Skyrar led the 7th company too many historic victories against the forces of the dark gods and other enemies of the Imperium, the most notable is on the planet Tybalt were Space Wolves of the 7th company defeated the Thousand Sons but the battle is not rememebred for the victory, it is remembred for what happened to Skyrar. When the 7th Company returned back too the Imperium Skyrar began too change, bloodcurling howls would wreak out from his grand chamber were he slept, he began too grow large ammounts of hair on his face and body and his arms and legs grey larger and his feet and hand grew large claws and his face began too change his brow became more prominent and his nose flattened and upright and his eyes large and yellow.

The change was clearly evident too everybody and Skyrar was seeled in his chamber and was guarded unntil his fate was decided. A large gathering was held in the Fang by the The Great Wolf Logan Grimnar and attended by the Rune Priests and the Wolf Lords, it was decided that Skyrar had been cursed by some power and was deemed as a threat too the Imperium and therefore sentenced too death. In the days leading up too Skyrar's execution 7th Company Captain Ulrik was plagued for days by nightmares and visions and voices telling him he must prevent Skyrars Death. He informed the Space Wolves of his company what he had seen and what must be done and that the Space Wolves had betrayed them and there master and they must be destroyed.

The chapel was filled with every Wolf Lord and Rune Priest at the Space Wolves desposal stood silent staring at the creature chained up at the altar as the Great Wolf Logan Grimnar began too speak, he said that this is no longer the great man it used too be and is merely just a creature that is dangerous and a threat too the people of the Imperium and therefore will be executed, a roar of support rang around the chapel when the Grimnar had finished speaking and he took his seat at the front and all fell silent again, he called upon the executioner who was wielding an almighty axe, he effortlessley swung the axe behind his head preparing too behead the creature when suddenly the light of the full moon glistened through the stainglass window met by an almight howl from Skyrar, and with that the chapel doors burst open and followed by a rain of bolter shells and roars, it was the Space Wolves of the 7th Company led by Captain Ulrik slaugthered there way through the chapel towards the alter the echoes of the dieing and screaming and the roars of the chained up Skyrar flew around the later as the unarmed Wolf Lords and Rune Priests fled in sheer terror and most were gunned down or savagley ripped apart.

Ulrik picked up the axe from the executioners dead fingers and hacked through the chains that contained Skyrar another howl was let loose by Skyrar accompanied by the warriors of his company. The 7th Company led by Skyrar fled the Imperium too receive the rewards from the Dark Gods for there acts, Skyrar renamed the Company Skyrar's Dark Wolves and they now reside on the Daemon world of Vedrengard.

Skyrar and his wolves are currently on there own crusade too destroy the Space Wolves chapter and too hunt down Logan Grimnar for sentencing him too death.

The last story is very poorly written. It makes no sense and does not follow any fluff... Ever. It is a cool bit to think about on the other hand, and kind of reminds me of Underworld 2...
    Last edited by Wolf Guard; January 22nd, 2010 at 08:05.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast