Special Characters with my Vets... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Special Characters with my Vets...

I've heard brief mention of veterans with shotguns being accompanied by Gunnery Sergeant Harker...

Have guys seen/heard of an success with this? A guy at my local store had them in reserve during a game but I had to leave before they could be called in.

Also, I've heard almost no mention of Sergeant Bastonne. Any thoughts on this guy?

(I tried searching for this subject- sorry if it's redundant)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i run three squads of vets in my army,

the first has three meltas and is deployed in my valk,
    the scond has two plasma's and a lascannon and is for anti-tank/monsters
    and the third has harker and 3 grenade launchers.

i use harker in conjunction with a 25 man platoon led by al'rahem. move and fore with 6 shots at range 24 inches provides some cover while al'rahems sqauds set up the heavys in cover.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Shotguns with harker are alright. They match his "on the move" style but Assaulting isn;t something you should 'plan' to do. the option is nice sometimes but thats about it.

Harker and 3 Vets with grenade Launchers work pretty well as the unit can kick out 6 medium str shots on the move at a decent range or switch to frag. Adding something like Demolitions as well means they're quite a handy thorn in your opponents side. They can handle anything, Hoards, light vehicles, Marines/Terminator Squads and even take out Landraiders and Dreadnaughts in combat with the Meltabombs.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Bring Harker for his unit buffs rather than firepower--most Guard lists aren't hurting for another heavy bolter. I'll second (third) three GLs with him but also note that that unit doesn't have very high offense for what you pay. Good for cityfight, however.

I've tried Bastonne several times. I thought a Bastonne squad given outflank by Creed would be a great 'behind enemy lines' unit but it never worked out, not once. His squad is too easily tarpitted, or too easily shot up by bolters, or needs too much equipment to be effective. It's a pity...great concept for an independent vet squad but the extra order just ain't worth it.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

I use a squad with harker demolitions and shotguns as a "for fun" unit. They rarely make their points back but they're fun to use, and they can screw with my opponents strategy. The unit started out as my necromunda gang and I use the converted shotguns as autoguns when I play necro.

Anyway they're a fun unit and that's why they're in my list, they represent the battered group of survivors taking cover nearby when the next wave gets sent in.

The Emperor Protects
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post

I've tried Bastonne several times. I thought a Bastonne squad given outflank by Creed would be a great 'behind enemy lines' unit but it never worked out, not once. His squad is too easily tarpitted, or too easily shot up by bolters, or needs too much equipment to be effective. It's a pity...great concept for an independent vet squad but the extra order just ain't worth it.
    Maybe just me but I always thought Bastonne would be better as a Strom Trooper Sergeant. It'd make Stormies a bit more special and interesting and Bastonne too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

For fun I like Primarus Psyker. He is an HQ but you can add him to a Plasma Vet squad and his 2D6 S6 shots fit in very nicely!

Wow, 2500 posts............need to get a life.......
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Borak View Post
    Maybe just me but I always thought Bastonne would be better as a Strom Trooper Sergeant. It'd make Stormies a bit more special and interesting and Bastonne too.
    I definitely agree. He'd make a really interesting ST sergeant. He's got the gear for it, anyway...

I think I'm gonna paint me up a Harker and occasionally use him to run with my vets for kicks. I almost said "in friendly, fun games..." but shouldn't that be all the games I play in?

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

I love harker, and my shotgun catchans. Demo, 2x melta and a Heavy Flamer, they outflank (infiltrate) and come in from reserve, shooting and assaulting things.
    Harker could be a officer with powerfist, but you lose a heavy bolter (or if you buy one you lose a man - important for the charge) and you turn up with ademo and melta's for vehicle breaking.
    Bastonne is not worth it, i hate powerswords on S3 models, and his special rule doesn't make up for the points cost. Most of your time if a squad is killed it's done in combat - and you're all casualties or it's done by shooting, and you'll come off the back of the board anyway.
    A good harker model is the catachan smoking a cigar with shades head, with a SM Scout heavy bolter on catchan torso's.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x3)

Yeah, Harker is a much better deal than Bastonne. I use Harker with Demolitions vets to wreak havoc with enemy tanks and artillery that like to stay at the back of the board and out of (they think) range of reprisals.
    2500 points of Empire for ToXG: Points painted for month 4: 0 Points painted overall: 510

+ Reply to Thread