Worthwile starting DH? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worthwile starting DH?

Hello,

I have started collecting Daemon Hunters after coming back to the hobby.

Daemon Hunters appeal to me due to their underdog status, elite fluff, rarity within the community and amazing fluffy heroes (inquisitors). I have my heart set on collecting and playing this army due to these reasons; also because over the years I have pretty much had in my possession everything else.

The question I ask is, is it worth it? I have been snooping around the rumors for DH and it appears they are due for an update soon (early 2011?). As you know, DH are expensive. I don't want to commit to purchasing and painting an army to find in 6 months time new models, rules and everyone else playing them.

Just nothing else seems to compare. Apart from DH I would consider Necrons or Dark Eldar, but once again i'm stuck in the same situation.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

If you are looking to be ultra-competive then DH aren't for you. However with average players they can be very effective. I also wouldn't worry about buying the models incase new ones come out, because the current ones are some of the best GW have ever made, and it would be very hard for the new ones to be better. And we are also proberly last on GWs update list, if they even bother at all. If you like the models and army then go for it.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Don't worry, there's no substance to DH rumours at this point; it'll be over a year (if not longer) before GW turns an eye to the Inquisition, most likely. You should be fine to start now; besides, if you roll with some Grey Knights, they're already fantastic models to begin with. I doubt they'll be changing, even with an update.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by toggle View Post
    Daemon Hunters appeal to me due to their underdog status, elite fluff, rarity within the community and amazing fluffy heroes (inquisitors).
    These are the only reasons that you need to start collect DH's.
    They may release new rules by the time you have a well established army, but they could only make them better. However, this probably wont be for a very long time.
    It's worth a krak!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is great news. I was half expecting to come back to hear lots of reasons why not to collect them. I understand they are not the most competitive but isn't that half the fun?

Looks like I've made up my mind.

Slightly off topic, has anyone played a radical army with any success? The idea of an Inquisitor, daemonhosts and stormtroopers sounds and would look amazing. Only downside is the expense >< I hope when they do get an update they make plastic stormies.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Slightly off topic, has anyone played a radical army with any success? The idea of an Inquisitor, daemonhosts and stormtroopers sounds and would look amazing.
    Radical DH is probably best with inducted support, though i've only played it a few times - the most recent was a chimera push supported by assassins and daemonhosts, it was ... different.

Don't really have the unit selection for the radicals though, the only 'pure' radical unit is the 1-3 daemonhosts who could spend the entire game waiting for a good roll to get into the action only to get IDed by a shmuck with a powerfist.
    WH work better in that regard with zealots, penitents, arcos, and various other colourful units led by a guy on a walking throne.

Only downside is the expense >< I hope when they do get an update they make plastic stormies.
    While Kasrkin are nice models you can get by with plastics from the guard line, converted if required. Cadians look ok.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
    While Kasrkin are nice models you can get by with plastics from the guard line, converted if required. Cadians look ok.
    I have an =I= army in the works, and I won't be using the Kasrkins. Not only are they pricey, but I simply hate the models. There, I said it. Instead, I'm going to use SM scouts with gas mask heads from Pig Iron miniatures. Should look sweet.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    I have an =I= army in the works, and I won't be using the Kasrkins. Not only are they pricey, but I simply hate the models. There, I said it. Instead, I'm going to use SM scouts with gas mask heads from Pig Iron miniatures. Should look sweet.
    That is actually a fantastic idea!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
    the only 'pure' radical unit is the 1-3 daemonhosts who could spend the entire game waiting for a good roll to get into the action only to get IDed by a shmuck with a powerfist.

I have an Imperial guard army with a Radical Inquisitor, the army works but has not had enough play testing for me to decide if the Inquisitor and his daemonhosts are worth it. If you are worried about the Daemonhosts coming in, the Astropath from the Imperial Guard codex HQ would solve that problem.

At the very least it was ALOT of fun choosing models/converting/painting all the models for my Inquisitor and his retinue. I looked outside of the GW range, so my inquisitor retinue really stands out next to the rest of my army. I'd also recommend reading Eisenhorn trilogy for Black Library inspiration
    "Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by sendaf View Post
    If you are worried about the Daemonhosts coming in, the Astropath from the Imperial Guard codex HQ would solve that problem.
    I would not personally hold the daemonhosts in reserve, they are most effective attacking with it's teleport or timeshift - from deepstrike they can't assault and generate no power on that turn.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast