Fun games - Mech or Balanced? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

Fun games - Mech or Balanced?

Hi everyone

So I've not played for years but I'm trying to put together a very fluffy army mostly as a fun hobby but I'd like to get good games out of it as well. While I have read the new rules I have no idea how 5th edition works in practice.

I was originally planning to have a balanced force with some armour but, if anything, an emphasis on infantry. However, having read through these forums a bit it seems like a lot of people are going mechanised, packing out a few chimeras with veteran squads wielding close ranged weapons and spearheading it with tanks and it got me thinking. ATM I only have the support weapons; some sentinels, demolisher and a chimera so it's still open whether I go mech or balanced.

Basically what I am wondering is how much variety you think a combined arms force will have when compared to a fully mobile one. If I get a load of infantry am I dooming myself to always forming a gunline? On the other hand does a mobile force have to always immediately race to the enemy positions to use their deadly close range melta weapons?

I am looking to build a force that can fight in lots of cool and different ways, even if it means I loose a bit more than average, so which will give more good fun varied games? Mech or balanced?

Cheers guys,
    Korona

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

You don't have to conform one way or the other. I find that hybrid lists are the most effective and I always take a platoon to compliment the vets in chimeras.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x3)

One of the must fun games i ever had was with my Armored Company. At the same time though it was the worst. I had set up 6 tanks vs a space marine player. Seeing all that armor was just sweet. I was also very excited to try it out. I was doing so well by round 3 he was down too 12 marines and 5 assault termies and I still had all my tanks. My Hell Hound was inferno cannon destroyed and my 1 Chirma was with out the mulit-laser. Thats when I knew it kind of sucked because all he could do was watch me roll over his army and he couldn't do nothing about it.

So Armored Company is the must fun but It really has to do with what you facing and if you opponent can give you a challange. Otherwise, I play Grav-chute Troopers with some tank support.
    I am an Indestructible master of War.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x5)

Balance has nothing to do with whether you're mech or not. The dichotomy you're talking about is mech or Hybrid (Tanks + Foot Infantry).

A Balanced army is one that can reliably handle all threats it is likely to face. Thus any list (Mech, Hybrid, or Foot) can be balanced or can be unbalanced towards a single type of threat to the exclusion of others.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

Ah yeah good point, I am assuming I can find a force of either that can be fairly versatile, although I am worried that for footsloggers versatility means falling back on a big defensive gun line. I'd be interested to know what kind of tactical range your mech force offers compared to one with more of a footslogger focus. Is the mobility really key or is it just more a case of being a creative player?

I don't want to feel I am always using these guys in the same way, but maybe I am just being paranoid. I used to play a fantasy Dwarf army and they basically just sit on a hill and shoot at stuff. It's one of the most boring armies in the game and I want to avoid collecting another static army at all costs.
    Last edited by Korona; January 30th, 2010 at 17:57.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

I really think it's in the list writing itself. If your list compromises of lots of repetitive units it will be boring no matter what it is, mech or hybrid or infantry. Taking a good selection of units (but still having redundancy so it's competetive) is probably your best bet for an interesting game for you and your oppoent.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x5)

Believe me, I've been there. I played Dwarves in Fantasy and gunline guard for years.

Movement is key in 5th Ed 40K, and Mech IG offers a LOT of mobility. With it, you can rush in to kill the enemy, or stand back and shoot them as they advance. Or you can play Eldar games and stay just out of reach using Valks and Vendettas.

It's a LOT of fun compared to the old days of guard gunlines.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

340 (x6)

Okay thanks guys, I had a think and came up with this force for 1000 points:
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ml#post1632111

It makes sense in my head but if you could take a look that would be awesome.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

What I've found is that in the process of collecting the models I want for lists, and models that simply look cool, I've collected enough to field a massive variety of lists - Gunline, Penal Legion, Mechanized, whatever. Changing it up every game keeps things interesting, even if one list isn't particularly effective - my opponents don't get to change theirs up as much, so it keeps it fun for them too. One day they're facing 3 Penal Legion Squads backed up by a platoon and sentinels, the next they're facing veterans in chimeras backed up by a Demolisher or Russ.
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

340 (x6)

Well for fluff reasons I'd like to keep pretty much the same force from battle to battle. I want to spend quite a lot of time customising and personalising the models to represent specific people so the core of the force needs to be basically fixed. That's why it's important to me that I get a force that is going to give good games regardless of what I'm fighting. There is wriggle room of course but the solid base a mech force offers is pretty appealing atm.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast