A useful alternative? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

A useful alternative?

A few questions about an idea that I had about an alternative to the usual suicide IST tank-popping squad.

Elite Inq w. multi-melta and two sages, riding in a rhino/chimera, and shooting out the top. What this means is that you could shoot 12" instead of 6", which is an obvious advantage. My question is, would the sage still work from inside the transport and allow you to re-roll?

Don't have my codex with me, but IIRC it is only 10-30 points different than 5 ISTs with 2 meltas, and especially in a rhino it would be a better option.

So, any help on this idea? Thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x6)

The sages and rerolls would work. The major disadvantage though is the Inq is not a troop.
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Yeah, but if they're not intended for capturing points, as many suicide squads aren't, then it's no disadvantage. Also, you could use it to fill your compulsory HQ slot instead of PCs and HBs if you were up against a mech force.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It should work-in theory. Only problem I see about it is that while you can shoot the melta on the run, even when falling out of a Rhino, if you budge the Rhino as much as an inch with the Inq with MM inside, you can't fire it; even out of the top hatch, even if you disembark. If the Rhino chills for a turn without shooting, and you're fighting anyone that cares to ask what's inside the Rhino, they're tanks are either going to move away, or try to obliterate the Rhino with the squad inside.
    Eldar W/D/L: 17/15/12
    Ordo Malleus W/D/L: 24/3/4
    Crimson Fists: In Progress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Yeah. But, to shoot a melta you can only move 6, then shoot 6. So really, it's the same range anyway except that you keep more out of the way of danger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you COULD move 12 and disembark, retaining your ability to fire, and keeping your threat range much larger. The possible 24" threat range for a melta gun in a Rhino is scary for some people, while everyone has come to terms that the multi-melta has a 24" range. Besides, people can hide from a static target.
    Eldar W/D/L: 17/15/12
    Ordo Malleus W/D/L: 24/3/4
    Crimson Fists: In Progress

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    367 (x5)

Keep in mind also that if you are rolling around shooting from your rhino, it will be considered "open-topped" for all that return fire.
    (WH40K) Dark Eldar - (12,000pts) Sisters of Battle - (5000pts) Dark Angels -(3500pts) (WHFB) Dark Elves - (10,000pts) Beastmen - (5000pts) Empire - (3000pts) Wood Elves - (1500pts)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

I've been advocating an Inquisitor with MM servitor and mystics in a transport for months and months and months. See the DH topics stickied in my signature for examples.

If you're playing DH, you must take one of these units. It's a very important anti-armour bunker with additional benefits at a steal of a points cost.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

+ Reply to Thread