Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
My vanilla Marines are having a horrible time beating the Imperial Guard. In two recent games (both objective games) I have squeeked a win and managed a draw.
In both games my army was in tatters and the Imperial Guard were still at fighting strength.
I just can't seem to score a solid victory against the new Codex. I've outlined my problems below, hopefully someone can help my vanilla marines beat them:
1) All out Assault Army - the first problem is getting to the enemy. If you ignore deep strike and outflank the Impy Guard will shoot you to bits on your 24" journey. Once you get within 12" they can First Rank Fire! Second Rank Fire! you to death. Even Rhinos have a hard job as the ability to take plenty of Melta guns will pop your vehicles and leave you open for mass firepower. If anyone does get to the Guard lines then they can only take out one unit at a time, giving the rest of the Guard army plenty of time to turn and murder the interlopers with mass fire power.
2) All out Shooty Army - not enough gun. Anyone who isn't hunkered in cover will get murdered by the return fire of ordanance and mass heavy weapons. The Guard have access to a load of Str 5+ 36" guns that will force mass dice rolls and you'll weep as your Marines start to vanish. Not to mention indirect fire that can hit you from behind cover, ignoring your save.
3) Mix of Shooting and Assault - You don't have enough guns or swords to do the job properly. Guard counter-attacks on your shooting units (i.e. Ogryns in a Chimera) will kill them dead. Your assaulting flank will be battered to bits on the journey and not have enough to win the game for you.
4) Outflank Army (using Kor'sarro Khan) - a great idea on paper but once your units start coming in on random turns and on random tables edges your plan falls a part and once again the guard can start picking off your units one at a time. Even Assault Terminators in a Landraider (unless supported by a lucky dice roll) will be isolated and murdered.
5) Deep Strike Army - Again a great idea for shock value. This army has the best chance of winning a strong victory against the guard, providing that you place your Drop Pods in a way that they can't easily re-align their ordance to destroy you. Unfortunately you've just put your entire army in rapid fire range and they have more shots then you.
As you can see I'm trying to look at this for every angle. I'm trying to come up with a tactic that doesn't rely on luck to defeat the guard.
If anyone has a good solid winning streak against the Guard I would love to hear how you do it!
Pure bike army, but without Khan (or at least without outflanking). You can be in his face completely by the end of turn 1 and will get a 3+ cover save due to speed (although I'd still aim to use cover to block LOS, no shots are better than shots with a save)
Captain + Bike
Bike Squad (4+ HB attackbike, 2 flamers, powerfist)
Bike Squad (4 + MM attack bike, 2 meltas, powerfist)
Attack Bike Squad (3x MM)
Attack Bike Squad (3x MM)
Attack Bike Squad (3x H
Then add more bike squads dependant on points.
Oh and with drop pods, you want lots of Sternguard - a fully combi-melta equipped combat squad will waste a unit of tanks, and 2 heavy flamers will make a mockery of any infantry he has that aren't in a transport.
3x Sternguard (5 combi melta, 3 combi flamer, 2 heavy flamer, drop pod)
2x Tactical Squad (meltagun, multimelta, drop pod)
Put Lysander in with the Sternguard you want to be 100% sure of killing it's target (or a large unit of vehicles), or that is near a counter charge unit (ogryns etc)
As an Imperial Guard player myself:
If your opponent uses lots of Chimeras: Land Speeders with Typhoon ML's will crack them open from long range. Razorbacks are also great for this while also protecting your troops.
If your opponent fields lots of large infantry platoons: use Whirlwinds, Typhoons with HB's, Drop Pods with DML. Tactical Squad with Drop Pod will not only disrupt his firing lanes, but allow you to rapid fire any infantry squads to pieces.
If your opponent fields lots of tanks/artillery: Drop Podding Sternguard, MM Land Speeder Typhoons, MM Attack bikes...