Making Ogryns useful? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making Ogryns useful?

I always like the idea of a few huge guys tromping around to bolster my ranks, and with the Nation of Zierheim lacking in abhumans of its own, they might cobble together a nice diesel-powered suit designed for close combat. Something that looks like this:

Helps keep up with the steampunk theme I have going, what with my army's fluff saying that their homeworld only recently began industrialization before being introduced to the galaxy at large. And these would make the perfect stand-in for an ogryn-equivilant unit.

There's just one problem; I can't picture ogryns being all that useful for their cost. I try and think up ways I could use them, but in 1000-1500 point games to field more than one unit of them takes out a huge chunk of my army, chunks that I could be using for more tanks or multiple veteran squads.

Now, I've tried to picture them in a few different roles, and usually come to one of two major uses: either march them right behind the tanks to lock up with anyone trying to assault my vehicles, or put them inside a chimera and actually play them like a short-range shooty unit that becomes a nasty charger if their transport is popped (assuming, of course, they don't end up pinned with their measley Ld 7).

I was wondering if anyone out there has found a good way to use ogryns to make them worth their points, or perhaps has a suggestion for another (legal) unit the awesome model above could represent.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

If you convert the little gun to an autocannon you could probably count them sentinels..
    They are cool looking. Probably cheaper than Ogryns too.

Ogryns are really tough to use as they cost (points and money) way too much for what they do.
    Probably best used to counter assaults that reach your lines, but they can be shot up and powerfisted into submission with worrying ease, the equivalent points worth of anything else in the codex will probably do more damage and last longer..
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x5)

Yeah, problem is that Rough Riders have it all over them as a counter-assault unit.

When it comes right down to it, they role they need to fill is that of an effective main-line assault unit. Which means that they need to be much cheaper and be allowed to take Priests (Stupidest rule ever) to buff them in combat. This could be balanced by giving them something similar to the 'Nids synapse rule. Let's call it "Easily Distracted". If the Ogryns got more than 12" from an officer or a commissar, then their movement and ballistic skill could be cut in half.

I'd also be very interested if every Ogryn in a squad could carry a heavy weapon and fire it on the move. Assuming you made their cost 20 pts each + weapons, you could have 5 moving autocannons for 150 pts. Which wouldn't be bad at all.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typing post 4th time. Pardon terseness due to impatience.

@ Omegoku: Model too small. Is on med bas in pic.

@ Sandwyrm: Agreed. Hope GW puts out errata saying accidentally made ogryns cost twice as much as should have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

216 (x7)

Oh, I just assumed they were close to Ogryn Size.
    You could use them as Strom Troopers I guess.

What parts you intend to use to make Ogryn sized suits?
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

The best use I've found for Ogryns is anti-Assault Terminators; we don't really have anything else that can do the job. They're killy enough to justify their points cost with the exception of that atrocious leadership--having to compensate for that is the only reason I don't use them much. Surely a stupid soldier would actually be braver than a really smart one?
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

Well, depending on how big the model is, you could use them for GKT. Three of those are better in every way, shape, and form than three ogryns. More expensive, yes, but super killy and actually make your opponent think twice about charging your lines.
    "All I know is a door into the dark" -- The Forge, Seamus Heaney

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ Omegoku: I meant that the models were too small to use as sentinels. They're plenty large enough to represent ogryns as is, but an ogryn-sized model will hardly work as a sentinel.

And I've already considered the possibility of using them as GKT's, Seraphim. But I should remind you, I'm playing traitor guard, so the anti-daemon and daemonic incursion rules would be pretty hard to write off. Even just the anti-psyker stuff hardly fits the flavor of a guy in a gas-powered mech suit.

Are there any rules regarding including units from other codices in 5th ed? Like something that would allow the possibility of me including plain, old Chaos/Ultramarine termies in a guard army?

This would be a lot easier if the new Lost and Damned codex was out. xP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baleted for double-post. Stupid connection problems again.
    Last edited by Axle_Gear; February 10th, 2010 at 03:47. Reason: Double-Post

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

You could take an inquisitor, which is totally corruptible, and take Daemonhosts, which look fairly decent.

Totally fits in with the theme, too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast