Cheaper alternatives to Stormtroopers? ££ - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheaper alternatives to Stormtroopers? ££

I am considering adding a small group of tank busting stormtroopers into my DH force. It wasn't until I actually went to buy the models I was stunned how expensive such a squad is! This isn't even including customized Inquisitor rhino.

3x Stormies
    2x Meltaguns
    1x Rhino

First option is the Inquisitorial Stormtroopers. To get this squad you need to buy:
    1x IS box set = £10
    2x IS Special Weapon box set £24
    1x Rhino = £18

Total: £52 or $80
    This is the most expensive option but it does give you more options. You can swap out your meltagun stormtroopers for either plasmaguns, flamers or grenade launchers. Also, you can buy another rhino and box set of stormies to have another squad with alternative special weapons. But still, this is pricey!

Second option is to use Kasrkin models.
    3x Kasrkin blisters = £10.50
    2x Kasrkin Special Weapon blisters = £18
    1x Rhino = £18

Total: 46.50 or $72.50
    Slightly cheaper but still, thats alot of money for a tiny troop choice. Again you have the option of swapping out the meltaguns for plasmaguns this time, also you can buy 3 more kasrkin and a rhino for another squad.

Third option using Space Marine scouts and conversion bits.
    1x SM box set = £12
    1x Pig Iron head set = £4
    1x MeltaGun converstion set = £4.50
    1x Rhino = 18

Total = 38.50 or $60
    Well we have cut the price down quite a bit. This price doesn't include any small conversion bits you may purchase from a bits website or forgeworld. The other downside is you do not have the option to swap out special weapons or add more troops. Also, you also need to find a solution to convert boltguns to hellguns.

It appears there is no cheap or affordable solution to gathering squads of stormies. Even the cheapest method I listed it might be more beneficial game wise to spend £35 on a land raider for anti-tank. On top of this you get a nice transport for a unit of PAGK!

Anyone else have any other ideas?

I'm just glad I didn't go down the Radical Stormtrooper route..

Toggle

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Apparantely people convert ISTs from normal cadian shock troops. I'm no expert and don't think I've even ever seen any finished products, but adding pig iron heads is a great start, plus meltaguns obviously, and if you can use green stuff even better. If you are looking for really good value and aren't too fussed on accuracy (whilst still wanting them to look kinda cool) then maybe some plain shock troop conversions could do you well. And then you could have a couple of squads of them.

In any case, just thank your lucky stars you aren't in Australia. You think it's expensive there? I just ran through a currency converter the price of a rhino. You're paying 18 pounds for one? We're paying the equivalent of 28 pounds for the exact same thing, and that's just a randomly selected unit. I've seen ones that are double the price. I import all mine from the UK and US because they're cheaper!!! Haha.

Of further note, if you're the patient and gambling type, there is mass expectation of the imminent release of plastic stormtroopers. I'm not suggesting you do wait or anything, but just thought you might like to know If you are interested, maybe run a search on specifics of whether it'll be closer to a few months or a couple of years, or whether its all just mass hysteria.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personally i used the old shock troopers with IST colors. Back then as a high school kid with no job it was a bit too expensive to buy the ten model IST set for $35 when i could get twenty shock troops for the same price. Also it came with grenade lauchers, and i bought the plasma gun bit and melta gun bits for both for like ten dollars together. now when i look at the prices- well id rather eat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personally i used the old shock troopers with IST colors. Back then as a high school kid with no job it was a bit too expensive to buy the ten model IST set for $35 when i could get twenty shock troops for the same price. Also it came with grenade lauchers, and i bought the plasma gun bit and melta gun bits for both for like ten dollars together. now when i look at the prices- well id rather eat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personally i used the old shock troopers with IST colors. Back then as a high school kid with no job it was a bit too expensive to buy the ten model IST set for $35 when i could get twenty shock troops for the same price. Also it came with grenade lauchers, and i bought the plasma gun bit and melta gun bits for both for like ten dollars together. now when i look at the prices- "well, id rather eat" are my thoughts.

sorry about the multiple posts, it was the computer.
    Last edited by Jimicomix; February 8th, 2010 at 17:41.

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

I use Cadian bodies, arms and heads with SM Scout legs. They look fantastic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x2)

I've got a friend who used Cadians, Greenstuffs a backpack, puts guitar string from backpack to the gun, and puts Pig Iron heads on 'em. looks nice. You could probably buy some servitor backpacks, or I think Pig Iron also sells backpacks.
    check out Farmpunk's blog:
    the Back 40k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i has 40 converted ones, there just special looking cadians, they look pretty cool even though i only used the stuff in the kits

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay here the easiest way to get IST grab the cadian shock troop box, a box aor tin of green stuff remove the helmets on cadians make a hood for each of them thats made out of green stuff also give each model grenades around thier belts, for special weapons go to battlewagon bits Cadian Command Squad Bits paste this link you can get plasmas , meltas, flamers. the cadian box set of 10 cost $22 US $12 UK green stuff is $3-6 US idk UK special weapons cost about $3-4 US each.
    Space marines 6 dread army Wins: 4 ties:2 Loses:7 Modified Standard nilla marines Wins:37 Ties:8 Loses 42 Daemonhunters Wins:3 Ties:0 Loses:1 Full assualt concept army wins: 6 Ties: none Loses: 2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

The IG Kasrkin models can be a good substitute for IST's, as they are essentially stormtroopers and you can get 10 for £25
    Grey Knight WIP Thread <Clicky>

I am the Hammer...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast