Space Marine Battle Force or Assault on Black Reach? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    The Fabulous Pyramids and Necropolis of Lost Lybaras
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x1)

Space Marine Battle Force or Assault on Black Reach?

Hello and greetings brave and noble Space Marine warriors!

I'd like to get your opinions. If you were just starting out with Space Marines, would you prefer Assault on Black Reach's space marine set, or the Space Marine Battle Force set? And, do the two sets go well together?

Thank you in advance for your input, and for your tireless battle against the enemies of the Imperium!

Have a great week!
    Frankie

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

The Battleforce isn't a bad buy. I would prefer something else rather than 5 Assault Marines though. But.. if you're going Blood Angels, that might not be such a bad choice

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

Hello Petite Francois,

it really depends.

The AoBR set is a better deal for you financially. But this is only true if you have use for the Ork models or can sell them or maybe buy the set together with a friend who builds an Ork army. The downside is that the models included in the AoBR set come with few options, they are cheap, tuned down versions. The tactical squad is okay (though you would definitely need some kind of transport for it), the dreadnought is fine too (though, as far as I know, he lacks the full weapon options, and he would be much more effective with a drop pod), a captain is good to have as well, but depending on your army may not necessarily be the best HQ. Shooty terminators aren't among our most competitive choices anymore, so I can't see that you would be using them much.

The Space Marine Battleforce is more expensive, but you don't have to worry about getting rid of the Ork models and your units come with full options. You can hardly ever have enough Space Marines (moreover, with the combat squad and the tactical squad you can have 8 bolter marines for a tactical squad and still make models equipped with various heavy and special weapons so that you can always use a tac squad in the configuration you currently prefer) and having a transport for them is a great boon. A five man scout squad isn't a bad thing to have (though the sniper scouts probably were better), and an assault squad is a very good and effective hard-hitter especially in low points starter armies.

This way or that, you will definitely need to be buying some extra models to field a legal army, and more so to field an effective and competitive army. So it's more or less up to your taste and preferation of playstyle and such. If you have the money I would personally rather go with the Battleforce set, to be honest.

Good luck, mate! Welcome to the Adeptus Astartes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought AoBR and the Battleforce as the first two things, and it was pretty good. 25 Tactical Marines, Captain, Dreadnought, Rhino, Assault Marines, Scouts and Terminators isn't bad for less than £100, and if you can shift the Orks you can buy extras as well.

Also, if you are brand new, you don't have to fork out £35 for a rulebook, plus templates. So I would say they would work hand-in-hand really. Probably get AoBR if brand new, but you have to remember that it isn't a legal army, so you will need another Tactical Squad/Scout Squad.
    Space Marines: 4,000pts - 7/7/2
    Imperial Guard: Under Construction...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I had a choice, which I did, I wouldnt chose either of those, I would wait save some more and get the megaforce; now thats a starting army XD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i bought both and the codex for 180 usd. i ended up with 1000 pts of army worth using.
    Vanilla Marine Army 1000 PTs W0/D0/L2
    Space Marine Combat Patrol W0/D1/L0

+ Reply to Thread