Show me the money - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Show me the money

I’m asking a pretty big favor so I want to thank any and all who help me out in advance. I’m looking into what it would actually take and cost to make a 2000 point guard army. I’m basically needing someone who knows the contents of the GW kits and knows the new codex (which I have access to).

What to buy, what it cost, and how to build it (options to use). Now I know I could look at the codex and say I like this or that, but I am sure some things don’t have models or some options don’t come in the boxes that you might expect them to. So I am really wanting some one to spell it out for me, basically I’m wanting to avoid spending hundreds of dollars only to find out I don’t have what I need, and that I will have to search ebay for months and spend a “c” note in bits to realize my ideal army, ultimately cause I don’t know what I am talking about.

So if someone could say buy this and that, it costs this much, put it together in such a way, and profit; well that would be great.
    I have a battle tank and a basalisk currently. I am thinking two battleforces, two chimeras, two more tanks and some advisors. If someone could give a yea or nea, get this instead or in addition, and some ideas what to do with it all it would be appreciated.

Oh yeah and my main advisaries will be meq and I and currently reading the codex, looking through stickied thread, and looking over GW site as well.

Last edited by boxingclever; February 14th, 2010 at 21:07.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all and most important get the codex, then put together an army list that you think will be both fun and effective as there is no point getting to this game if you are just ultra competitive and a power gamer, you need to be able to have fun as well. Get a list together post it on here and then me and other guard players can help you tweak and refine your list until it is to your satisfaction then you can go out and start buying. I made this mistake when i first started out in the sense of buying before knowing what i needed so to save money prepare before hand then act.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the codex. I can see that one might get that I could just be a power gamer wanting someone to make the best army for me but that is not it at all. It really is about the money. I am interested in having fun, not 40k dominance, but I dont want to spend more than I have to, and still not have what I need.

I am not cheap, but spending $400 and not being able to build an army that is any good at all because I didn't buy what I actually "needed" is something I want to avoid. As I read the codex I am getting a better idea of how to ask more specific questions. I will have some better questions in a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Simply put what your asking us in impossible, but I'll do my best to help you.

First we need to know how you want to play. There is a lot of cost difference between a mechanized army and an all infantry army.

So to simplify this,

basically every imperial guard army needs 2 platoons. thats 50 guardsmen MINIMUM. These six squads give you the potential for six heavy weapons that can individually target opponents.

You will also need a command squad

Also its rec0ommended that you pack a lemun russ or two. THis will give you a nice foundation to start building off of.

Dont make the mistake of buying a whole army at once you will never finish building and painting it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok here goes, since I have a LR battle tank and a basalisk I figure I will buy another one of each of those so I can but one of them into squadrons if I want to field them all. I figure I will definately buy at least one battleforce.

So what kind of options come with the command, infantry, and heavy weapons that come in the battleforce? How many meltaguns, plasmaguns, and flamers if any? GW is down for maintenance right this second, but they don't really tell you all that stuff anyway.

Is there any real benefit to buying more than one battleforce, or should I just start buying boxes of troops since I dont need another command squad?

I figure I will do a mix of vets in chimera (maybe two) and infantry platoons (1 or 2)
    So would one battleforce, 2 chimeras, 3 troops boxes, LR, and a bassie look pretty good?
    Last edited by boxingclever; February 14th, 2010 at 23:55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understant about not buying all at once, but I got to strike while the iron is hot or not at all if you know what I mean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

I would say to go for 2 battleforces, you WILL want the 2 command squads, a third command squad may even be useful as that would give you 3 plasma and melta guns so you can get a CCS with plasma, vets squad with meltas and a pcs with flamers. All the heavy weapons will allow you to create plenty of HWs for your infantry squads (autocannon are popular but I prefer missile launchers)as well as a squad or 2 of mortars (though these will need to be based on homebuilt bases). You'll also have 2 sentinelsto provide HW support.

Getting another LR is a good idea. Basilisk, not so. One should suffice for now. Squadroning vehicles into pairs is an even worse plan.

Chimeras would be a good way forward. Vets and CCS benefit from these the most.

As for getting more men, you don't need too many more than 2 battleforces would get you. A third sentinel would be a better purchase.

Æ's recommended purchases:
    2 battleforces (£110), Command squad (£15), Sentinel (£15), 2 chimeras (£40).

This comes to £180, not sure what that is in $$ but you'll get enough for:
    67 men and 5 vehicles.
    2 command squads, 2 infantry squads and a veterans squad leaves 27 bodies to play with. An HWS of, for example, mortars, gives 21. You can then either get more infantry squads OR another veteran squad and another infantry squad OR2 veteran squads.

Or you could even go for a second platoon if you cut out the mortar squad and got inf. inf. PCS instead.
    http://www.armyroster.com Check out my ToP WIP in the projects section!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the help so far everyone. Artificially Enhanced, what you laid out there is exactly the kind of advise I was looking for. A little of it goes over my head because I am not as familiar as I nedd to be with the guard lingo and abbreviations. So I am looking at two battleforces, two chimeras, a sentinel, a command squad, and a russ. If you were going to put that together as a viable army list how many point could you squeeze out of it( adding in the LR and bas I already have)? 1500-1750 or so?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My advice for every new Guard player.
    From one heavy weapon team box you can build at least 3 teams. One waepon on a tripod, the mortar on the bipod and the missile launcher shouldered. If you wish you can assemble another "tripod weapon" buy putting it on sandbags or any other cover you wish.
    This will save you lots of money and gives you all heavy weapon options.

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

One Battleforce gets you 1 Command Squad, 2 Infantry Squads and 3 Heavy Weapon Teams. By putting those heavy weapon teams into the squads (not as a seperate Heavy Weapon Squad) you 'gain' an additional 6 men. This effectively means that each Battleforce can build 2 Command Squads and 2 Infantry Squads with one man spare. For starting an IG army, I would purchase the following:

2 x Battleforce (£110 total) gets you:
    -------------------------------------

Company Command Squad

Veteran Squad with Heavy Weapon
    Veteran Squad with Heavy Weapon

Platoon Command with Heavy Weapon
    Infantry Squad with Heavy Weapon

Sentinel
    Sentinel

2 x spare Guardsmen

2 x Meltaguns
    2 x Plasmaguns
    8 x Grenade Launcher
    8 x Flamer
    6 x Autocannons
    6 x Heavy Bolters
    6 x Missile Launchers
    6 x Lascannons
    6 x Mortar

-------------------------------------

This is a great start to a 'guard army and all the infantry you should need at 1500. My recommended setup for the Infantry Squads and Platoon Command Squad (PCS) are Autocannon/Grenade Launcher (AC/GL). It gives you a good deal of anti-infantry and anti-transport. If possible, source some 60mm round bases from friends or eBay, as this will allow you to mount your spare heavy weapons to create more Heavy Weapon Teams. The two spare guardsmen can be converted into any advisors you want to use; Commissars and Astropaths are good options.

You should be kitting out your Company Command (CCS) and Veteran squads with as many special weapons as possible. Meltaguns are the preferred weapon as this fills your anti-tank gap, but Plasmaguns are okay and Grenade Launchers or Flamers will do if it's all you have. If at all possible, source spare Meltaguns on bits sites (eg here, here , here or eBay) rather than buying more Command Squad boxes as this will work out much much cheaper.

Off the top of my head, the above army is roughly 530 points. It has 3 troops choices and between 4-6 scoring units for objective games, as the Infantry Squads can combine. After adding in the Meltaguns as below your anti-tank should be covered:

CCS: 4 Meltaguns
    Vet 1: 3 Meltaguns
    Vet 2: 3 Meltaguns

This requires purchasing 8 additional Meltaguns (roughly £1.50 each). It depends on your preference, but you can choose to use Plasmaguns. Never mix the two though, as their roles are very different. After this addition, you are up to around 630 points. What you lack now is mobility and some armour. You already have a Leman Russ, which is a great choice for most occasions. The great thing about Leman Russ tanks is that they work better in pairs, but we're limited in points here so that's for a future upgrade. Keep them bare to save points.

You're now up at roughly 800 points (I think, don't have the Codex at hand). You've got anti-light infantry, anti-heavy infantry, anti-tank and anti-transport sorted. But what your list lacks is mobility to deliver the anti-tank to the enemy. Purchase three Chimeras for your Command Squad and Veteran Squads (£60 extra). With the roughly 100 points left, you can try to squeeze the Basilisk in.

If you have any more points left from my bad maths, bulk out the Infantry Platoon with Grenade Launchers. Sentinels should be un-armoured and have Autocannons if you can afford them, otherwise Multilasers are okay. Chimeras should almost always have Multilasers and hull Heavy Flamers (ML/HF), to keep them versatile.

Okay. So you're looking at something a little like this:

1000pt Imperial Guard Army

Company Command Squad
    4 Meltaguns, Chimera with ML/HF

Veteran Squad
    3 Meltaguns, Autocannon, Chimera with ML/HF

Veteran Squad
    3 Meltaguns, Autocannon, Chimera with ML/HF

Platoon Command Squad
    Grenade Launcher x 2, Autocannon

Infantry Squad x 3
    Grenade Launcher x 3, Autocannon x 3

Scout Sentinel
    Autocannon

Scout Sentinel
    Autocannon

Leman Russ
    Hull Heavy Flamer

Basilisk
    Hull Heavy Flamer

This requires the following purchases:

2 x Battleforce: £110
    3 x Chimera: £60
    8 x Meltaguns: £15

Not bad!

To scale this up to 1500:

Your anti-tank can be a bit fragile and short ranged, so I would add two Vendettas in. You can embark Infantry Squads into them to make them Scoring and they are all-round fantastic vehicles. Group the two Sentinels into a Squadron to make room for two seperate Vendettas. Keep them bare with no upgrades, they're fine as they are.

Remember I said Leman Russes work best in pairs? It's time to throw another one in there, and personally I prefer Demolishers. It can crack open pretty much anything and is an excellent tool with which to manipulate the enemy, as they will almost always go all-out to destroy them, leaving the rest of your army to counter-attack.

Vendetta - £35
    Vendetta - £35

Leman Russ Demolisher - £30
    Hull Heavy Flamer

This will cost you 425 points. You can round that off by adding another Scout Sentinel (£15) to fill out the squadron and spend the rest of the points to plug the gaps in the list above, if you couldn't afford all the weapons before.

So, that's it. In my opinion, a well rounded and competitive IG army for £285. Hope that helps, feel free to ask any questions.

+ Reply to Thread