Leman Russ Eradicator - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leman Russ Eradicator

Just wanted to know a little more about this tank, the Pros and Cons, as i am thinking about running three as some "Drop Tanks" for my airborne themed guard list. Is it worth taking? And if you have used it before feel free to say how it did, ect. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The three choices in the Guard Codex for ignoring cover are the Hellhound, Eradicator, and Collusus.

Hellhound:
    Pros:

Fast vehicle, can move 6+ inches to get hit on 6's in melee and still fire
    Good objective contester with 18" movement
    Can ram well (usually S in emergencies
    Template weapon - no need to roll to hit/scatter
    Cheaper than the other options

Cons:
    Reltively short range
    Must expose its AV12 to fire
    Uses fast attack slots to compete the gunships you'll want for that airborne theme

Eradicator:
    Pros:

AV14
    That's about it, really

Cons:
    Needs to roll to hit, can scatter wildly
    Expensive
    Slow movement because of Lumbering Behemoth

Collusus:
    Pros:

Fires indirectly, making AV12 less of an issue
    AP3

Cons:
    Expensive
    Needs to roll to hit (with a full 2D6 scatter if you take full advantage of its indirect fire)
    Horrid minimum range

--

I'm now firmly in the hellhound camp myself.
    My avatar is from when I tried to draw myself in MSpaint a year or so ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

Personally I hate the collusus - it has never ever worked well for me. I like the hellhound but it seems so fragile to have to be so close to the enemy. The eradicator can be survivalble with AV14 and I like it, although I would take an LRBT or demolisher instead any day.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x5)

I've been running Eradicators in my 1750 list for a while now. While I still like Hellhounds a bit better, the extra range is *very* nice. They also free up fast attack slots that I can use for Vendettas and Sentinels instead. The AV14 is good too, as it gives me the ability to shield the sides of my Chimeras and makes the Eradicators much more difficult to destroy than a Hellhound. Which annoys my opponents to no end.

The biggest downside is their lack of duality. They're pretty much anti-infantry only. You can put lascannons on them, but that's not as scary to most opponents as a multi-melta on a Hellhound. But hey, sometimes you just need a single job done well.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

I've been using a griffon+colossus combo at 2k for awhile now, ever since the new nids came out and I realized 4 flamers and the heavy flamers on my chimeras just weren't enough to kill 150 gaunts (bloody tervigons). It does really, REALLY well: on average, i will kill 7 marines a turn with this, or something on the order of 20 gaunts. Obviously you need to worry about the 24" minimum range, but ignoring cover AND ap3 is awesome.

Granted, I also run a couple hellhounds, so I might just be addicted to negating the annoying 4+ cover save...
    "All I know is a door into the dark" -- The Forge, Seamus Heaney

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim_Guard View Post
    Granted, I also run a couple hellhounds, so I might just be addicted to negating the annoying 4+ cover save...
    Nothing wrong with that! I love ignoring cover too, thats why I have so many flamers/heavy flamers in my list. Its just if I'm not tailoring my list that S10 ordinance large blast does everything. It can kill a Landraider and ignore the armour of every troop. Unless I knew I was going to play Orks/Nids/IG, the eradicator is just too expensive for "woo I ignore your 4+ cover save! Now take your 3+ armour save."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well another reason i chose the Eradicator is because along with its anti horde capabilities i chose it for fluff as im thinking about converting them into "drop tanks" using a chimera chasis and with it being only strength 6 it would make sense that a drop tank would only have that powerful a cannon, thoughts?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

Well the Abrams can be moved by the Globemaster, which is pretty absurd, so anything is possible with air mobility I guess. Weight is the #1 issue for air transport and the armour will weigh much more than the gun so maybe drop that. TBH if you want an air-mobile tank I would consider using the armoured sentinels as a basis for the stat line. Maybe boost the mobility at the cost of moving through terrain?
    There is the new Elysian vehicle on Forgeworld so I guess new semi-official rules for air-dropping vehicles could be on the way, which would be awesome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good idea however since Armored Sentinels are under fast attack and my airborne list is already filled out the fast attack slots i cant do that route. However i was also of just thinking of calling them standard leman russ tanks or eradicators and add some harrier jet engines on the sides to make it look like a vendetta/valkyrie hovered over the ground as close as possible and dropped the tank, thoughts?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

Well I was thinking of the light tanks they dropped via glider in WW2 like the Locust and Tetrach, they were much smaller than an MBT. You'd be making up rules for them though, I just felt the sentinels were closer to that than the Russ.
    Having said that there is an elite Chinese division who drop tanks via parachute:
    China Military Power Mashup|Tag Archive|Airborne

Pretty awesome, maybe the Chimera would be the best starting point? I feel like an airborne tank should be sacrificing armour to save on weight but if you are adding its own jet engines that kind of goes out of the window!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast