Black Templars Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Templars Army

Hello Everyone! I've just begun collecting a space marines army, with the intention to play a chapter out of the marine codex. But then I looked over my friend's Black Templar book, and I think I would like to paint and run them as Templars instead. Just got a few problems I need help with.

1. I have many, many tactical marines equipped with bolters. They're from Black reach, so it wouldn't be huge if they needed to be scraped for bolt pistol/ chainsword. Can bolter Templars still be effective as part of a close combat army?

2. After looking at the sprue for the chapter conversion pack, it seems I would need A LOT of those to have enough bolt pistols and chainswords. Is there a place to get these in bulk? And is there a good combination of bolter and bolt pistol/ chainsword to use in a unit?

3. Black Templar definitely seem more restricted than marines, and some of their rules are out of date. Will this make them less effective in games?

4. This one isn't really a problem, just need a suggestion. I really like the look of the tabard on some of the marines. Is there any easy way to convert this using green stuff or another model? Again, the conversion pack is a little short on these, and I'm not too keen on buying loads of these packs.

Thanks for any help you may offer!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Kyrie View Post
    1. I have many, many tactical marines equipped with bolters. They're from Black reach, so it wouldn't be huge if they needed to be scraped for bolt pistol/ chainsword. Can bolter Templars still be effective as part of a close combat army?
    Bolter-armed BT aren't worth it except as part of a heavy weapon squad should you decide to take one. What I did - although you obviously can't now, unless you used superglue - was to find as many knives or sword-like parts I could get and arm every model with a bolter and chainsword, or else two bolters, posed the way you would pose a BP+CCW model. That way I could justify playing them as tactical marines or assault marines as I pleased, since they greatly resembled both.

Otherwise, so long as you're playing with friends you can get away with proxying them.

2. After looking at the sprue for the chapter conversion pack, it seems I would need A LOT of those to have enough bolt pistols and chainswords. Is there a place to get these in bulk? And is there a good combination of bolter and bolt pistol/ chainsword to use in a unit?
    The best combination is all one or the other. No mixing, especially since you don't have Combat Squads. I'm not sure where you can pick up a large number of conversion packs other than the GW online store.

3. Black Templar definitely seem more restricted than marines, and some of their rules are out of date. Will this make them less effective in games?
    Black Templars are still an entirely competitive army.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play BT myself and what I do with bolters is run them in Razorbacks 6 man squads with whatever two heavy weaponsI have that they can use- usually have a pg or mg in with something else and use them as mobile firebases. They aren't as effective as 10 man heavy weapon squads, but I find sticking them in a RB with tllc/ hb allows me to move quickly, get set up on an objective or a hill and blast away.

Ultimately, CC squads are better for BT armies as we can field 20-man squads, stick a chappy in there and we re-roll failed hits on the charge and hope for lucky rolls.

BT are restrictive in some areas, but in others if used right can be a major player in tournaments and such. Righteous Zeal if used correctly is one rule that can really benefit our army.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

I run rhinos with crusader squads of ( 6x initiate 3x neophyte +1 power fist ) times that by four for 1500 point games, two vindicators, naked. 3 land speeders with multi-meltas and heavy flamers, the preffered enemy vow and a marshal with a power fist.
    This is not the best build at 1500, because i don't have an objective sitting squad which can easily done with a deadnought with a lascannon and a 6x initiate squad with a lascannon and plasma gun. But it's a fun and competitive army to play . But the general advice from me is crusader squads with power fists in rhinos supported by something to distract your opponent whether it's a big scary vindicator or a easy kill point like a land speeder for them to be baited into.
    thanks
    antique_nova
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

+ Reply to Thread