Topic of the Week: Cities of Death - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

Topic of the Week: Cities of Death

Cities. The centers of civilization. In order to execute control over a system you require control over a planet. In order to execute control over a planet you require control over its cities. Being positions of great strategical impact, cities are often fought over thrice as hard as other sections of the warzone. It is here that confrontations culminate. It is among their confined spaces that splinter forces deprived of all hope of surviving continue their bloody struggle to hold their own. Snipers, ambushes, barricades, booby traps. Total confusion rules the streets of a city in war, and it can never be told for sure ahead of time whether those around the next corner are friend or foe. Imperial soldiers die by the dozens and those that do survive turn mad.
    Again it is the Adeptus Astartes that is called upon to bring order to chaos. Tight lines of Space Marines march the streets, their constant hail of bolter rounds driving back the enemy while initiates with sniper weapons provide precise covering fire. Superhumans in tactical dreadnought armor cleanse the buildings, striking down the abominations they face from behind their storm shields. Flamers rain burning death on those which hope to escape in hiding, while vindicators with siege shells and dreadnoughts with wrecking equipment tear down entire buildings...

The Cities of Death supplement are set of rules designed for close-quarters skirmishes among the ruins and wreckage of the confined space of city terrain. Movement is greatly impaired, cover is even more common than in standard missions, prolonged lines of sight are hard to come by. Assaults and short-range firepower dominate the game, along with a myriad of dirty tricks.
    What units do you use in Cities of Death missions and what are your tactics? Which stratagems benefit Space Marines the most? Are there any missions you like or hate especially? What need we fear the most in games of Cities of Death? Discuss.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Toy Soldier Aficionado Wolf Guard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

I absolutely love my Dreadnoughts, I find that the Plasma Cannon and CCW with a Heavy Flamer seems to work the best. If it catches a unit in the middle of a street, they get turned into goo by the plasma cannon, if they are smart and stay in the building, then they get cleansed with fire! My tactics might sound a little odd, but I understand. If I am playing against Space Marines I generally will send my dreadnought at a unit of Space Marines, I tend to have pretty good luck at destroying them, even if they have a power fist. If I am playing against a low armor saving armor (Guard,nids,Orks) I will just run around and flame stuff. With AP 4 on the flamer, it will tear through most of the units in those low saving armies with little to no problem. In general, I use 2 tactics with my dreadnoughts. The first, I basically do a denied flank through whichever side of the city my opponent has less to deal with. My Dreadnoughts, typically leading the charge. Option 2, (If i go first) I use my dreads in a fire support role until either I or the enemy gets close enough for the dreads to get stuck in with a unit, You have to be careful to make sure you get the charge off, that extra dreadnought attack the first round of combat can be almost a combat winner sometimes.
    The Wolf time is upon us!
    Rep for the Rep God! Positive for the Positive Throne!
    Armies: Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Emperors Children, Necrons, Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

For me the level and type of terrain associated with this type of game generally calls for more infantry and fewer vehicles as well as weapons that either ignore cover or have a high rate of fire. The terrain density also means that melta weapons aren't so hindered by their short range as you can get closer to tanks with a greater degree of safety.

Sternguard excel here due to their ability to take combi-meltas allowing them to function in an AT role and then switch to dragonfire rounds to go after infantry.

As such my lists generally consist of a core of scouts, sternguard with combi-meltas and tactical squads with flamers and either a heavy bolter or usually no heavy weapon (depending on whether I'm going to combat squad or not). As the points allow I also include an assault squad with Shrike, Land Speeder squadrons and possibly a dreadnought, which I run in a close assault role (Assault Cannon/Multi-Melta & DCCW with Heavy Flamer) instead of my usual Rifleman configuration.
    This is generally the only type of game where I might take devastators but generally only as 5 man squads with heavy bolters placed somewhere with a good view of as much of the battlefield as possible, but usually I don't bother.

The only vehicles I take are Land Speeders and Drop Pods.
    The Drop Pods can get me where I need to be (Sternguard arriving turn 1 to cause havoc) and are fairly reliable transports as the Inertial Guidance System allows me to avoid impassable terrain and if I have to make a dangerous terrain test so what? A drop pod is automatically Immobilised once it lands so it's a 1 in 6 chance of losing a storm bolter. I can live with that, the drop pod has already done it's job!

Stratagem wise I generally take Infiltrate for my Scouts and Shrike led Assault Squad, Drop Pods can always Deep Strike so I don't need to take that stratagem. My Scouts are generally of the sniper variety so Master Snipers is useful as is putting at least one squad in a ruin with the Ammunition Store stratagem (BS3 twin-linked sniper rifles that ignore cover? Yes please!).

I've toyed a bit with a few of the others but these are the ones I prefer most. I find that with the objectives of the CoD missions the Key Building stratagems aren't as useful as I tend to be fairly fluid, as such I prefer stratagems I can give to my units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

master of forge with 6 dreadnoughts owned.
    Space marines 6 dread army Wins: 4 ties:2 Loses:7 Modified Standard nilla marines Wins:37 Ties:8 Loses 42 Daemonhunters Wins:3 Ties:0 Loses:1 Full assualt concept army wins: 6 Ties: none Loses: 2

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

For the upcoming City portion of our tournament I'm tempted by 2 squads of scouts and as many dreads as I can afford... but Sternguard are very tempting.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

+ Reply to Thread