Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Hey all. I'm new to the Imperial Guard. I was thinking about playing Cadians, but I'm not so sure as to how I'd want my army to be set up. After looking at stats, I realize that heavy weapons are invaluable, but I feel that tanks are a neccessity as well. Now, first things first: Does setting up the heavy weapons as support squads for the command platoon change anything? For instance, would it have some different and strange modifier or deployment restriction that say, a heavy weapon platoon taken as a heavy weapon choice would have? I ask because all my units will have definitive markings indicating if they are command, etc. And I want to get it right the first time.
Second: Are the conscript platoons worth it if your going for a shooty stand still army? Barragging from the back seems to be what the Imperial Guard are made for.
Third: Are mortars as useful as they seem? I can't really find a drawback. Any situation in which problems could arise would be appreciated.
Fourth: Are veterans worth using up an elite troop choice for? They seem a little underpowered if you ask me.
Fifth: Ogryns. Are they worth it? They would seem to have the upper hand in close combat, but in an almost strictly shooty army, I would think their use would be lessened somewhat.
Anyway, those are my questions as of now. I hope I get a response, and I'll get back to you with current army status (AKA what I've bought)
Thank you all in advance.
1. No its a unit all on its own just happens to be all under one HQ slot.
2. Yes it addes more guns and woudns on the table for your opponent to deal with. It also is a good assault shield
3. Mortars pretty much suck. They scatter off and stuff. Also there not very strong.
4.Yes they are. BS 4 happens to be a godsend for IG. Just be careful cause they can be costly.
5. For 25pts no. You can get grey knight for the same cost. If you want to stay with they IG list then ya its your only countercharge next to rough riders.
<img src='http://www.turnsignalsonalandraider.com/comics/000127.gif' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
1) Actually, putting the HW squads in HQ of heavy support can have consequences. In some missions HQ or heavy support are kept in reserve and if your support squads are in the wrong organization slot then they won't be on-table from the beginning. If you're going to have a lot of these squads I suggest you put some under HQ and three in a HW platoon, just to spread your eggs in more than one basket.
in 4ed, with the escalation rule. only infantry will be able to start on the board (in 1/3 of the games). however, IG HQs and heavy weapon platoons still count as infantry and therefore would start on the board.
granted, if you play some other senarios, they might make it so only troop choices start on the board. but as of the offical 4ed senarios, infantry will always be able to start on the board.