The guardsman's uplifting magazine, Episode XI: "Incoming!" - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

The guardsman's uplifting magazine, Episode XI: "Incoming!"

"The cowardly forces of the Traitor legions are no match for the might of the Imperial guns. As our large artillery pieces rain down fire form aove with powerful earthshaker cannon and heavy mortars the enemy will be petrified, rooted to the spot and unable to respond to the advance of the irresistable force that is the Imperial guard. As sniper shots ring out around them, each one felling a foul member of their squad, the survivours will wish it was them that had been taken, just waiting for the bullt with their name on it to come flying from the sky and smack them between the eyes with oblivion."

To throw you off a little here, this isn't in fact totally about artillery, or snipers. It's about going to ground. The imperial guard have the ability to force a massive number of pinning tests on opponents due to the amount of sniper rifles, mortars and barrage weapons that they can pack into their army. This leadership-based strategy can often throw an unwitting opponent off guard and can open up an interesting number of options to the budding commander.

Does pinning feature at all in your lists? If so, how do you use it to your advantage? Which squads to you prioritise to try to pin? Do you take any "pin-enhancing" squads such as battle psykers, whose Ld-lowering power can really make a huge difference between a successful and failed test?

http://www.armyroster.com Check out my ToP WIP in the projects section!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

My main use of 'Incoming!' is when I don't have much terrain on the table. If I put a grounded, disposable squad in front of my lines then I can still get good cover saves for my platoons. (I regularly bring a couple infantry squads with no equipment to block outflankers, absorb the first round of charges and bodyguard my Russ squadrons. Ironically, a naked PCS is almost ideal.) Otherwise, the old 'hunker on the home objective' is useful when my dice are rolling badly enough for me to not care about the loss of firepower.

I wonder how a mech army could use the order? Good topic, AE!

As for offensive pinning, I've tried and given up on it as a tactic. Too many armies are fearless or stubborn. Sometimes my Colossus gets lucky, though.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    I wonder how a mech army could use the order? Good topic, AE!

Thanks

I wasn't thinking of the order so much as the offensive means for it, but why not, lets open this out to all things pinning.

A new idea to throw into the mix: how would you combat a psychologically heavy army like, for example, a Dark Eldar army with a lot of horror/terrorfexes? ?Do you have any ways of combatting pinning (beyond "get back in the fight!")
    http://www.armyroster.com Check out my ToP WIP in the projects section!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

Pinning weapons (snipers, ordnance barrage) are limited in functionality. This is due to the high number of armies that have extremely good leadership (or special rules that negate bad leadership). Marines have excellent leadership, Orks have mob rules, Nids have synapse, Chaos have fearless units, Necrons have high leadership, ect ect.

The only armies that are somewhat vulnerable to pinning is Tau, some Eldar, and of course, other IG players.

PBS do make it easier to pin enemies, however, to be effective you must use WR *before* trying to pin a unit for it to work. This runs the risk of wasting WR on a unit that gets killed, doesn't suffer any pinning wounds, or would of naturally broken from 25% losses. In addition, it still does not help against the many units that are fearless.

Personally, I find PBS to be used better at the end of your shooting, when you can pick a unit that will be taking a morale test from shooting, much safer usage imo.

So, yes you can build a pretty nasty pinning army, and against certain other armies it can be very effective. However, there is a very good chance that you'll be facing a list that does not have much to worry about.

As for using "Incoming!", since you have to do it at the beginning of your shooting phase (predict enemy shooting) and you loose your next turn, it has very limited utility.

However, I use Go to Ground a LOT (especially when I'm running a non mech list). Being able to have a lot of 3+ cover saves makes enemy fire much less effective. Combined with GBINF!, blob platoons, and a few voxes, and you can have virtually all your exposed infantry taking 3+ cover saves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 1850 list runs a pair of Manticores and a pair of 6-man PBS in chimeras.

Dropping anything to LD4 at the maximum (LD3 with ordnance barrage) is almost guaranteed pin. Against Fearless armies, at the Manticores can be used as anti-horde/anti-tank so they're not wasted points and the Psykers can drop large blasts around the board.
    My avatar is from when I tried to draw myself in MSpaint a year or so ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

I've tried to keep mortars and snipers rotating through my lists because I like the models. I've experienced little success in the way of pinning, but mortars are decent against hordes and in dense terrain boards where los can be difficult to maintain.

The "incoming" order only seems viable on final turns where squads are trying to maintain control of objectives.
    "...and thee shall know the Emperor's might when thy enemies fall before thy guns. No crude Orkish blade can pierce thy anointed armor, nor any twisted alien resist the sting of thy sword." ~Major Kaelen Rhodes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to agree with Rhoaran here, I have only really used incoming in the final few turns to keep the remenants of squads alive just long enough to hold an objective.

While pinning is useful- I much prefer to make my enemy flee.
    That way at least they abandon any objective they are holding, and maybe flee into the open to be shelled next turn and wiped out entirely...

But back to the topic, I useually run a few units like bassies that can cause pinning- But as I useually play against Space Marines, Necrons, and Daemon Hunters, pinning is not reliable.
    And even if it was, ALMOST killing a MEQ squad on an objective, only for them to then Go to Ground and make it harder for me to kill them ...Is a tad annoying

+ Reply to Thread