Guard in the City: Tactics and Lists - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Guard in the City: Tactics and Lists

My friend (orks) and I are going to be playing a few campaign games with cities of death rules, so I'm exploring the potential of guard in such environments. I know we can excel at this but it's not a matter of certainty. I'd like to tailor some lists for the city but not necessarily specifically for orks.

My army is a ordo xenos requisitioned regiment. List themes tend toward hybrid vehicle/infantry with a high number of veteran and penal legion ('vet scouts') squads though a platoon is always present. I own tons of infantry and HWSs, 2 chimeras, 2 valkyries, 2 armored sentinels with autocannons, a hell hound, and a standard russ with 3 heavy bolters. Games will likely be 1500-2000pts.

Any suggestions based on this rough outline of units? Have you had trouble with HWS bases in city terrain?

What have your experiences been with 5th ed city fights? What units / options do you consider indispensable?

We are creating a strategem or two for our own armies. I was thinking about creating one for shotguns like the 'master snipers' to allow them to ignore cover.

Do you have any statagem favorites or ideas for new ones? GW has a few new ones in an online article that are good.

This is a broad topic, but I'm keen to hear what you have to say. Thanks for reading.

"...and thee shall know the Emperor's might when thy enemies fall before thy guns. No crude Orkish blade can pierce thy anointed armor, nor any twisted alien resist the sting of thy sword." ~Major Kaelen Rhodes

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoaran View Post
    What units / options do you consider indispensable?
    Hellhounds and the almighty Four-Flamer Driveby with Chimera + PCS. Also, try some allied SOB's with Immolators for extra crispiness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

"Four-flamer drive-by"

I know the chimera profile says 5 firing points but it also stipulates that several would be using the mounted lasguns. Why don't more people consider multiple special weapons firing out to be against the spirit of the rules? IMHO one or two people firing out of the hatch perfectly reasonable.
    "...and thee shall know the Emperor's might when thy enemies fall before thy guns. No crude Orkish blade can pierce thy anointed armor, nor any twisted alien resist the sting of thy sword." ~Major Kaelen Rhodes

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x5)

I'm kind of fond of pairing a Hellhound with a Leman Russ Eradicator. The hound is fast and accurate, while the Eradicator can sit back and pummel infantry at 36". Both are S6, AP4 and ignore cover saves.

I played Nids on a city board this weekend during a local tourney and these just 2 units just hosed my opponent's Gaunts and Gargoyles. Pics on my blog.

Then in the next game versus IG I would pop his transports and then pummel the guys that tried to hide behind the wreckage. Lovely!
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x1)

"Four-flamer drive-by"

I know the chimera profile says 5 firing points but it also stipulates that several would be using the mounted lasguns. Why don't more people consider multiple special weapons firing out to be against the spirit of the rules? IMHO one or two people firing out of the hatch perfectly reasonable.
    Thats not how it works. There is no model in the game that provides a weapon for another model to use (except artillery). There are no rules provided to explain how that would work. A fire point allows one model inside the transport to fire one of his own weapons. The part about the lasgun emplacements is purely fluff and has no impact on the game. If it was against the spirit of the rules, GW would have clarified it in the FAQ a long time ago.
    Last edited by slobulous; February 23rd, 2010 at 21:55.
    I WANNA GET STUCK IN WIT DA BOYZ

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by slobulous View Post
    Thats not how it works. There is no model in the game that provides a weapon for another model to use (except artillery). There are no rules provided to explain how that would work. A fire point allows one model inside the transport to fire one of his own weapons. The part about the lasgun emplacements is purely fluff and has no impact on the game. If it was against the spirit of the rules, GW would have clarified it in the FAQ a long time ago.
    Agreed.

There used to be rules about which of the mounted lasguns could see where, and how many models could fire out of the top at the cost of the Chimera becoming open-topped for that turn. These were confusing and caused nothing but arguments if you actually tried to fire the lasguns, so most people never bothered.

The new firepoints rule overides all of this and makes LOS/measurement very simple by just using the top hatch as a reference point. Much better.

Of course the Chimera is a very old model and the design team hasn't caught up with the new rules yet. But you can adapt the model easily enough by just leaving the lasguns off. Or you can do what I did and model them properly as small hatches.

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

As others have said, the Lasguns are there for decoration. Don't forget that there is a huge bloody hatch on the back which opens. I'm almost certain that there is space for five men to stand and fire from it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

In dense terrain boards, remember, quantity > quality. Chimeras are awesome of course, with a multilaser and heavy flamer. In side it you either want (as was mentioned) flamers, but also consider meltas. They'll be even more important since you wont have any reliable long range anti tank (even against transports), due to all the cover saves.

Banewolves would be able to do some excellent damage, and help to repel MEQ that will be able to get close to you (cover saves protecting them).

I prefer LRDemolishers (w/ no sponsons and a HHF) for city fights.

The Colossus is also something you should consider, great for popping hard shooty targets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by SandWyrm View Post
    Agreed.

There used to be rules about which of the mounted lasguns could see where, and how many models could fire out of the top at the cost of the Chimera becoming open-topped for that turn. These were confusing and caused nothing but arguments if you actually tried to fire the lasguns, so most people never bothered.

The new firepoints rule overides all of this and makes LOS/measurement very simple by just using the top hatch as a reference point. Much better.

Of course the Chimera is a very old model and the design team hasn't caught up with the new rules yet. But you can adapt the model easily enough by just leaving the lasguns off. Or you can do what I did and model them properly as small hatches.
    I know it is legal to fire anything out of the chimera and you're right about the old model not having caught up, but it still feels wrong to ignore the fluff of the emplacements. I'm just stubborn.

Hatches would look cooler and make more sense for this edition, so that's what I might do when my 2nd chimera arrives.

As for the other comments. Demolishers, eradicators, and colossus' would all be great. How do you use your infantry, especially nonmounted units?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x5)

How do you use your infantry, especially nonmounted units?
    Heh, I keep them in their transports for the most part and flame the enemy from the street. I prefer to send Sentinels into ruins when I can.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast