Terminator Army - Loganwing Or Deathwing? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which list is best for an all terminator army?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dark Angel's Deathwing

13 46.43%
  • Space Wolves' Loganwing

15 53.57%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

Terminator Army - Loganwing Or Deathwing?

My current armies are Orks and Guard so I’m now looking to make an all terminator army that can be stored in 1 or two sandwich boxes instead of 2 GW carry cases.

But what is the difference between Loganwing or Deathwing, how do each of them play and which was is more effective?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Logan- Current SM gear, minimum squad sizes of 3, loads more options (especially CC). Need Drop Pods to DS.

Deathwing- old SM gear, minimum squad size of 5, Deathwing Assault, and they might be able to take two special ranged weapons without ten models (not sure, no book).

Much variance in the points, as some WG loadouts might be cheaper, while some are more expensive than their DA cousins. And while Logan may be more than twice the points of Belial, I'd daresay that he's far more effective individually, and he provides a few support style effects as well.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

King of the Burning Sands Backdraft005's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x3)

Logan wing is better, especially if you want to do a termie army. Better load outs, and Logan can roll up with in a LR with company and another LR with more termies, hop out, charge giving everyone an attack bonus and then preferred enemy for his squad (among other abilities) or you can walk him up with a group with Whirl launchers and tank hunters (i think), doubling as anti tank. You can drop Arjak in a squad that drop pods and throw his hammer at 10 str ap 1, again, doubling as anti tank, accompanied by guys with combi weapons and wolf claws. The rest of the drop pods termies can drop down and unload with assault cannons. the army is very versatile. much more so than deathwing now.

DON'T forget, they ALL have Counter Charge. That alone makes them better since you can just manuver yourself around, shotting, and if you happen to get charged and you didn't want to, you got counter charge.
    Last edited by Backdraft005; February 27th, 2010 at 18:51.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

Might as well mention that I plan to use this list for a chaos terminator army and have decided to go with Wolfwing over Deathwing.

So I'm looking for an effective all 1500pt wolfwing army that is built for close quarters and if possible without drop pods?

Any chance of some lists, since this is my first elite army?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

65 (x1)

Can't be with out drop pods with wolves. They are born with a natural distrust of magic and wizardry so they don't trust teleportation machines. aka terminator armor can't deep strike like everyone else's. So either lots of land raiders or slogging about if you don't want drop pods.
    Repainting Orks not sure how many points yet
    Warriors of Chaos shelved until further notice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

take the pods! fits the "fluff" for sure. =)
    "All of the tainted shall fall before me".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Foot Wolfwing is the best way to run them I find; Drop Pods are too easy to counter and Land Raiders are too expensive.

The key is dakka backed with strong assault elements in every unit, making each unit capable against all kinds of units so you don't rely on one or two crucial units. Termies have this in spades, relatively cheap and versatile firing platforms with solid combat ability (all the better with counter attack)

1500 could get you:
    Logan
    Rune Priest w/ Chooser, Living Lightning, Tempest Fury, Terminator Armor, Saga of the Beast Slayer
    Lone Wolf w/ terminator armor, chainfists, storm shields
    10 WGT, 2 cyclones, 2 wolf claws
    3x 5 WGT, cyclone, chainfist

Everything is shooty, independent, and solid against a wide variety of enemies. You take 10 together to benefit from Logan's ability to give them tank hunters early on, putting out 4 S9 shots on the move (plus D6 S8 shots from the Rune Priest). You can drop and swap gear as necessary (I like single wolf claws, 5 points for a big boost in effectiveness). You've got to keep them cheap, you only have 29 models. Lone Wolves are cheap, disposable bricks you throw at people. They can take on anything that gives your Termies pause (Dreads, big MCs, and so on) with relative ease.

I find Loganwing armies work best if you dilute the Termie aspect a bit. 5 WGTs are all well and good, but the real action is from the cyclone and having them scoring. Lone Wolves and TWC can handle assaults on their own, so why waste points giving out power weapons you'll likely never need to use. 5 WGT with a cyclone is 195, 4 PAWG and 1 WGT with a cyclone is only 135. That's 60 points! It adds up real quick when you're taking so many units (the first list saves us 300 points!). What little loss in survivability can be mitigated by use of cover, and fitting in more units thanks to your surplus of points.

Instead, at 1500 you could have.
    Logan
    Rune Priest w/ Living Lightning, Tempest Fury, Chooser of the Slain
    10 WG, 2 WGT w/ cyclones
    3x 5 WG, 1 WGT w/ cyclone, chainfist
    2x Lone Wolves w/ terminator armor, chainfist, storm shield
    3x Thunderwolf w/ powerfist

That certainly looks better, yes? Same amount of firepower at range, but now you've got a lot more bite and mobility. The Lone Wolves do their thing, running protection and punching out well above their weight class. Now you add in the Thunderwolves, cheap fighty units that can drag down any vehicle, murder infantry units (like the ones who have just lost their transport) and draw attention away from your shooty core. It's still an elite army, but there's a lot more going on here.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FYI its Wolfwing. and Wolf wing has ALOT more options as each wolf gaurd can have his own individualised wargear
    "I don't wanna kill ya, you're just too ugly to let live!".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

431 (x8)

Yes, Loganwing has a lot more options to work with than Deathwing. That makes Loganwing armies a lot more fun to use and more capable against a wider variety of armies. The extra buffs like improved Storm Shields and Cyclones are icing on the cake for Loganwing armies.

Loganwing, Loganwing, Loganwing
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

King of the Burning Sands Backdraft005's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x3)

Really guys? Does it matter what its called? Christ.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast