Librarium Online Forums banner

Artillery choices

911 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  ernie55 
#1 ·
I'm working on a competitive infantry/artillery list (1850p) and I'm trying to decide what big guns I want to put in. Right now I have 2 griffins which I plan to squad together. I was wondering what other ones I should add in as heavy support {preferably more ordinance weapions). Maybe a manticor?

#2 · (Edited)
Griffons are good, Colossi are great, Manticores can cause horrendous damage or do next to nothing, Basilisks suck. The reason they suck is because their most efficient targets are MEQs. The Colossus, though, wounds MEQs just as easily and is AP 3 as well, PLUS it ignores cover if they are dug in on an objective, and has a significantly smaller minimum range. If you are considering a Basilisk, just pay 15 extra points and get the more effective Colossus.

#3 ·
Just seconding Slobulos really. Basilisks are rubbish. Colossus are brilliant. Medusas you can't really count as arty as they aren't barrage. Griffons are great for their points. Manticores are a bit random so sometimes they'll be great, sometimes they'll be rubbish.

If there is lots of terrain on the board artillary is brilliant. More often than not though the plain old AV14 Russ will do better for you.

#4 ·
Really? You think the basi is that bad? I haven't had a chance to play with it, but I was hoping to build my IG around an basi battery. Certainly, the medium-high minimum range does count as a negative when you compare it to a colossus or griffon, but the higher strength, coupled with good placement, helps to balance the field.

#5 ·
The minimum range is terrible. It forces you to shoot directly, which means you need line of sight.....which means the enemy has line of sight....to a squishy AV12, open-topped vehicle.....with a big gun that's a juice target.....

They aren't hard very kill and draw a lot of fire. It's a bad combination.

Manticores, Collossi, and Griffons are excellent. I do like the Medusas for the 36" demolisher cannon, but I'd rather have an actual Leman Russ Demolisher over them.

#6 ·
Aye plus the fact that they are now only 25pts less than a Leman Russ. Thats alot of points to be paying for a AV12 direct fire tank that may, maybe for the first turn, be able to fire once indirectly.
Sure they're great at shelling Devestators or Ork Lootas in cover at the back of the board. for 15pts more though you can get a Colossus which, simply put, does the job better.

If the Basilisk was only 100pts like it used to be then maybe people would take it. Unfortunatly the minimum range and price tag kill it for me. Which is very sad considering it's one of our oldest and most iconic tanks.

#8 ·
you all clearly play all foot marine armies and have never seen 5 land raiders in 1500??

griffon/ collosus cant hurt them, medusa is too short range, basilisk and manticore shine againt vehicles, why are you using them for killing infantry that isnt orks?

my normal heavy support set up is manticore/death strike/ LR Demolisher, but i love basilisks, and prefer them over the other variants (coz unlike the medusa can actually fire indirect, and unlike the other 2 can drop necrons for good if you have to and can kill tanks with relative ease)

#9 · (Edited)
you all clearly play all foot marine armies and have never seen 5 land raiders in 1500??
maybe because this is clearly impossible

griffon/ collosus cant hurt them, medusa is too short range, basilisk and manticore shine againt vehicles, why are you using them for killing infantry that isnt orks?
I will agree that the Manticore can mess up tanks if it has to, mainly because it is multi-shot and STR10. But, the Basilisk is far from ideal for targetting hard vehicles, only slightly better than a lascannon. Melta weapons are soooo much better, and cheaper, and much more plentiful. If you are pointing artillery (besides maybe the manticore) at tanks, then you are doing something wrong. It is also arguable that the Colossus is at least as good as the Basilisk for killing Necron Warriors, and definitely better against all other MEQ. I would also prefer it against Orks and Nids, who have mobile cover generators. And there aren't many weapons that get rid of IG heavy weapon squads like it does.

Try running some numbers.

#10 ·
I've never understood the hate for the Bassie. The minimum range isn't an issue thanks to the direct-fire option, something that also gives it the mobility of a Medusa. Most indirect fire is directed at far-away objectives and heavy weapon units, anyway. It's also versatile enough to do well against both infantry and vehicles and causes instant death to MEQs.

#11 ·
It's not that the bassie is bad, it's that there are better options for near the same points. If you are using direct fire, the LRBT is a lot better for just 25 more points. If you are using indirect, the Colossus is better in MOST situations for 15 more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.