Unhappy advisors. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy advisors.

I am confussed by regimental advisors as the
    Master of ordanance is great & useful in an any point army but Astropaths & Officers of fleet are unlikely to be of much use below 2K when it may be prudent to keep something in reserve. I think their rules are just a bit weak and would like something that is universally more useful (like the MoO) e.g. adding rules like these to the relay & intercept rules they possess.
    Astropath allows Company commander to give orders to a unit at any range (presence of vox has no effect).
    Officer of fleet reduces scatter of own deepstrike troops by 1d6" and doubles scatter of opponents deepstrike, destroyed if land off table.
    Personally not too keen on astropath figure either certain they could have made the blind guy with the pistol & sword look more threatening, I don't think the official figure even has the wargear the rules state, what happened to WYSIWYG?

Has anyone used these and found them worthwhile?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x1)

The Astropath is the most useful one by far. I would say, regardless of how many points you are playing at, if you have 3 or more units that do not set up normally, then you should always take him. He allows your units a much better chance to come in where you want them and in a timely manner.
    I WANNA GET STUCK IN WIT DA BOYZ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_allen40 View Post
    Astropath allows Company commander to give orders to a unit at any range (presence of vox has no effect).
    Does he? I don't think so! As far as I know, he +1 to Reserves and you may re-roll Outflank results on where your units arrive!

Hooraah! Astropath!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Steadfast: I think our man was saying "what if" rathert than "he has".

Personally i rather think the MoO brings alot of unwanted attention to your CCS. Anything that makes your CCS more of an annoyance or target is a bad thing. CCS on foot needs to be cheap and unthreatening so your opponent ignores it and leaves you to use orders. All mine usually have is a Flag and an Autocannon or 2 Special weapons.

The other two i've not used a great deal of but i'm sure they've got good points and bad points in equal measure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Whats wrong with the astropath model? He's not supposed to be uber threatening! You're lucky if you astropath can move... Read some of the fluff They are weedy characters who exist solely to receive and transmit messages, which takes rather a lot out of someone (plenty of head explosions in various books due to overloads ).

Doubling DS scatter would be rather beardy, esp where I play where a lot of area terrain is the norm, much much more likely that unit gets a mishap or even goes off the board. You already get a whole turn of shooting before they can do assaulting any way...

I personally think the vox should remove the order range restriction, but if you take one then the whole army must. But I think vox should be mandatory any way, what's a modern army without comms? (Personally I have voxes modelled but the feeling they are waste of points for their game-usage...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_allen40 View Post
    I am confussed by regimental advisors as the
    Master of ordanance is great & useful in an any point army but Astropaths & Officers of fleet are unlikely to be of much use below 2K when it may be prudent to keep something in reserve. I think their rules are just a bit weak and would like something that is universally more useful (like the MoO) e.g. adding rules like these to the relay & intercept rules they possess.

*snip*

Has anyone used these and found them worthwhile?
    Whaaaaaaa......?!?!???

The Astropath is probably THE most useful and commonly seen advisor.....I think. But the key to getting good use out of him is to build your army and adjust your tactics to take advantage of his ability - this means expecting to put units in reserve, and using outflankers. If you just take him for the occasional unit in reserve, he's not worth it. I'm sure the other 2 advisors have their pros and cons - but the key is finding a way to synergize their abilities with your army.

My 1500pt hybrid Air Cav/foot list depends on the Astropath for success. And he's come through pretty much in all games.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x3)

Yeah, the astropath is definitely the most useful. Early reserves can be critical in a battle. The MoO couldn't hit a barn door anyway.
    2500 points of Empire for ToXG: Points painted for month 4: 0 Points painted overall: 510

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the advisors are useful.

I guess I'm not a reserves sort of player so the Astropath would not be my thing and since all my stuffs on the table and I don't like suprises I guess the Fleet advisor should be. That said most of my crowd play low points without reserves so he wouldn't be that useful. Stormtroopers seem very expensive for what you get.

*ernie55*
    I quite agree that vox are week for points and I think they should extend command range instead of re-rolling, it just makes more sense to me and seems far more fluffy.
    I guess the astropath figure is just personal taste but wargear wise he has flak-armour, las-pistol, close combat weapons, grenades and I'm not seeing any of those. He's veteran equivalent but doesn't look it. I guess he could be Yoda like in his combative skills but fluff-wise he should at least be imune to photon grenades.

*Lord Borak* I'm not certain about the unwanted attention thing. Again I guess its my groups playing style. I'm thinking that the CCS with advisors would be behind the line with the troops in command range but acting as a screen. Then field the second CCS up front with the veterans etc in its command range with bodyguard but no advisors.

Overall seems I should be investing in an Astropath only if I intend playing reserves, which I hadn't intended to but then I do like the DKK engineers and Hades drill, may even build a Termite if I had the time.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

There's a lot that isn't useful in low point games, although you might experiment with an Astropath combined with some Penal Legionnaires.

I'm not certain about the unwanted attention thing.
    I agree with Borak, only more so. My typical CCS is a standard, a vox and Creed, no weapons at all, and they're almost always the last to die. Even though my opponents know what an effective force multiplier Creed is, they continually leave his squad alone until they don't have any other targets. I don't think they'd do that if they suddenly lost half a tactical squad to a lucky MoO hit, or if they could silence a lascannon with the same effort.

Of course, it helps that so many opponents depend exclusively on short-ranged melta weapons instead of real guns these days. Some of those lists need two turns just to reach Creed's Chimera.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

Mine is a vox and a power fist. maybe a flamer if i feel generous at the end and have spare points.
    Sometimes i'll have a second (and a astropath attached to one, who stays in reserve to avoid getting shot turn 1.)
    I deliberately equip mine for CC so they really don't register as a fire priority unless the opponent knows what they're doing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast