got basic troops for vostroyan army how should i extend? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

got basic troops for vostroyan army how should i extend?

ive got hq and two platoons with a good assortment of special weaps for anti tank and infantryandi dont know what else to add to the armyi was thinking of using inquisitorial retinue or somethingor using cadians as conscriptsany suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my suggestion would be more troops and maybe a few chimeras, and a russ or two, should give you a good basic army for your first few games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh, the glorious Vostroyan Firstborn...

So, you say you have enough AT and AI in your army so far? ^^
    May I ask exactly what it is you're packing? I'm myself a big Vostroyan player so I know you have some real problems getting a hold of Autocannons and Meltaguns (Actually, you have to convert both).

But, as said earlier. I'd invest in a couple of Chimeras to mount your Firstborn in, a Command Squad, a Demolisher and maybe a Vendetta for good measure ^^
    A good basis for most armys include Chimeras at least, so i'd at least invest in a few of theese ^^

If you have any questions concerning Vostroyan convertions, fluff etc, throw me a message ^^

Cheers ^^
    http://refraintofsanity.blogspot.com/
    -"Oh God, this is going to take a while..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks guys
    yeah i have two lascannons two rocket launchers, which are in the platoons
    i have two gren launchers in the squads with rockets
    and two plasma guns in the two squads with lascannons
    i then have in one of the platoon command 4 plasma guns which i was thinking to put in a chimera
    and i have 4 snipers where i dont know where to put
    i have added a demolisher and a hellhound and 15 ratling snipers

i sort of want a stand out piece of the army
    or something maybe different from all the vostroyans and maybe use them as veterans and then use vallhalan as normal squads

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you're still quite lacking in anti-tank then.
    You need to get some Meltas, mate. I'd consider getting a Chimelta or two for the list, any variant you want, be it PCS or Veteran, but perhaps PCS would fit better with your list. Also get your CCS some Meltas and a Chimera.

I will have to say that I don't like any of your choices of wargear really... Except for the ML/GL combo, which I find can be quite efective if you don't want the AC.

Snipers are, in general, not worth it, so neither the 4 snipers you don't know where to put and the Ratlings I myself find quite worthless, the Ratlings being slightly less worthless :/

Consider kitting the Hellhound out with a Multi-melta, always handy to have the possibility to pop a tank.

Shortly:

PCS:
    4 Plasmas and no ride? A good opponent won't let you get anywhere close to use them, and once there, you only hit on 4+. I'd suggest getting theese guys a Chimera at least, and i'd exchange their Plasmas for Meltas.

Platoon ML/GL:
    Quite ok, this combo works quite well, being able to put down some med/high S shots down, or a few templates. I'd myself roll with AC/GL, but, personal choice.

Platoon LC/PG:
    I don't really see what use you'll get out of theese guys. The Plasmas are wasted on standard Infantry, and the Lascannon to in most cases. I'd try to kit theese out as the previous ones if possible.

Snipers:
    Convert to normal lasgun wielding Vossies. Snipers are more or less worthless. (Although, are you using the Vossie Sniper models? Did you have any problems putting together the one without the mask?)

Demolisher:
    Good.

Hellhound:
    Good.

Ratlings:
    Meh... You'll probably be wiser to spend the pts elsewhere...

And if you want a stand out piece, seriously, get a Vendetta/Valkyrie. This thing is massive and really adds a sense of *Ooomph!* to your army. Once I put mine together with my force, it felt quite brutal all of a sudden ^^

Cheers and good luck ^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow thanks man, very helpful
    yeah i am definately adding chimera to all command squads
    and how is the best way to convert autocannons and meltaguns
    i will change the PL/LC squads

i seem to like ratlings for some reason, yes they were vossi snipers
    i could try and convert them to vox casters or something

do you think im needing one good unit for combat?

very helpful thanks alot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need more men in your backline.

You need to defend your objectives, I have struggled alot with what to throw up front but am now pretty settled on the backline. To limit this to a single HQ & Troop choice I went:CCS with Regimental standard, Autocannon & vox, PCS autocannon & vox, 4 squads each with autocannon arranged in 2 combined squads with a vox each. This way I can defend 2 objectives with good order possibilities.Then Im planning on a couple of Chimelta veteran units.BUT unless your converting our best IMHO hvy & special weapons are denied you so maybe you should go:CCS with Regimental standard, Lscannon & vox, PCS Lascannon & vox, 4 squads each with Lascannon arranged in 2 combined squads with a vox each. This way I can defend 2 objectives with good order possibilities.Then a couple of Chiplasma veteran units?If your in converting mood I think Cossak / Hussar Rough riders would be a fun unit, or maybe a squad of autocannon sentinels, at least then you can get some autocannon inplay without converting.Kev.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks that sounds really good
    yeah i was thinking of getting another platoon and just sitting up the back
    ive been thinking of rough riders for a while, but i think if they have no real support theyll be gone very quickly
    since im looking for a good looking army but effective its hard

also what would be a good conversion with a hellcannon
    ive also got a carnasaur, but im really bored and want to do something with that
    any ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, converting the AC and Melta really isn't all that hard. To convert the Autocannon, simply pick up a Vostroyan Lascannon and a Cadian HWS. If you're doing it on the cheap, then you can simply buy the standard Cadian HWS and stick normal Firstborn troopers with it.

Meltas, they're slightly tricker, but not that hard. I have, for instance, managed to so far convert 5 different Vostroyan meltagunners. The easiest one is to simply take the Vostroyan Flamer model, snip the muzzle off and then attach a Melta-tip. The same can be done with the Grenade Launcher without to much effort, creating a Melta with a hefty underslung tank.
    Otherwise, you can convert a noirmal Firstborn, like i've done here: Refraint of Sanity: Meltagunner- WIP
    (And while you're there, why not take a look around at my truly WIP army )

Simply throw a Melta-tip on that and you're golden.

And on the army in itself:

No, I really don't think you need a good unit for combat. IG is not about CC, we're more at the shooty side of the spectrum
    Vox casters could be usefull if you're planning to go Infantry based, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Cheers ^^

Gloria Imperator, the Firstborn stand!
    Last edited by Hussar; March 10th, 2010 at 21:50.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ohk sounds good thanks alot
    yeah ive got it sort of planned now
    lots of infantry squads, command in chimeras with melatguns and a few other conversions on the way
    your conversion is looking good, i definately need some meltas
    i want to put some pics up of my the army so far and since im so newbie to this site i dont know how
    what do i need to do for that

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast