Topic of the Week: vs. Tyranids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

Topic of the Week: vs. Tyranids

The Great Devourer - a lethal enemy, hurling its spore across our galaxy from the darkness beyond. Breeding living spacecraft and scores of intelligent beings designed for a single purpose: to kill. Adapting quickly to any and every environment and foe, the Tyranids flood entire systems and strip them of their entire biomass in a single sweep, an army without number at the whim of a transcendent consciousness known as the Hive Mind.
    The horrible extragalactic abominations kill every being they come close to and inspire fear in those lucky enough to be further away. The mass firepower of the Imperial Guard can keep them at bay, but again it takes the Adeptus Astartes and its surgical strikes to severe all the links to their psychic bonds and permanently remove an infestation.

It has been two months since the 5th edition Codex: Tyranids appeared - time enough to study the specimen and devise a course of proper counteraction.

Much has changed in the way Tyranids play. Though the Nidzilla theme often still prevails, the horde aspect of the army has experienced a veritable boost. Tyranids are also much more mobile than ever before, and their ability to deep-strike entire armies is considerable. On the other hand, while their psychic abilities have been strengthened, they now require psychic tests and can thus be negated by psychic hoods. Though the new monstrous creatures are able to survive a lot more punishment, they have become more vulnerable to a broader range of weaponry with the 2+ armor saves being reduced significantly.
    All this and more requires us to adapt. What are your experiences versing Tyranids? How do you fight them with your Space Marine army? What units do you take, what are your battle plans? How do you defend against certain aspects of Tyranid armies like psychic powers and deep-striking? Discuss.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

I have to admit, I haven't actually played against Nid's with my marines yet, mostly I have been using my Nid's. I think with the new nids you really have to get down to basics, I don't think there are many instant win kind of tactics. With the increase in horde armies, marines may well be better off. While yes, the little gribblies have gotten cheaper and more effective, the marines in power armour still dont have all that much to fear (other than genestealers), even when outnumbered three to one. Just keep calm and chew steadily through the hordes, they are not in fact, without number and will die quickly enough. Personally I love flame related death for this, wether it is handed down by bikers, assualt squads, mechanised taccys or heavy flamers on dreads (especially deepstriking salamander iron clads ) and in the hands of termies. Don't try that on the bigger bugs though, they will eat the fire and your marines along with it. If facing a nidzilla army I'd go with massed plasma if at all possible. While its certainly possible to beat up a carnie with TH/SS termies or other combat units, your pretty likely to lose a few pricey models in the process, and you know there are always more MCs around. With a squad of taccies with plasma pistol/plasma gun or similar units you can cause a few wounds and if there is a little more background firepower like lascannon preds or devastators you can take out a carnie/trygon/mawloc/tyrannofex/tervigon/harpy/tyrant pretty quickly and be able to rinse and repeat it the next turn or two, unlike the combat units. The key to pulling any of that off of course is mobility. Drop pods are great but just make sure you are dropping somewhere that isnt going to result in the other three carnifexs mashing you the following turn. Rhinos will tend to get pulverised by the nids shooting, land raiders are obviously better, just watch out for the thropes. Bikes are always good, just dont get charged by toxigaunts, assualt squads will still kick ass just steer clear of warriors/raveners/genestealers as they will be ripped to bits by the nids. Doom in a Spore, while annoying, is certainly less of an issue for marines than for something like guard.

Sorry if that seemed really basic but I don't really think that there is much else you can do. Nids are now so versatile that in most cases you wont be able to plan well against them so just keep your target priorities straight and come with loads and loads of guns. Get too much into combat and your definately doing the nids a favor. And this is coming from someone who is anticipating the arguably most combat oriented marines re-release, the blood angels.
    And now my bitter hands cradle broken glassOf what was everything... - Black by Pearl Jam

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

The thing I've experienced with fighting nids is that you have to capitalise on their mistakes - more so than any other army. If he's got a unit barely within synapse range, or lurkers in front of feeders, make the most of it.

Take out the lynchpin synapse creatures down on flank, then your opponent either has to fight on with some of his army not doing what he wants, or refocus his synapse. Warning: Do not do this on a flank of feeders, if you don't want them to move - but it's a damn handy trick for getting feeders off objectives.

Also: S8 and above weapons are your friends. Instakill on 'thropes and warriors is damn handy, and leave very few synapse critters safe.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x3)

I know this thread is a little old now, but I got a tip. If your playing 1500+ point games take a Chapter Master for Orbital Bombardment. Also take a Land Raider Crusader. Move 12'' you can fire the Twin-Assault Cannons, which is 4 shots with reroll on misses and rending. Then you get 2 Hurricane bolter racks. Making 6 bolter shots at 24'' or 12 shots at 12'' or lower. You can also get rerolls. Last you get a Storm Bolter which is 2 more bolter shots up to 24''. Last thing if you move 6'' which you would be better moving at max, you get a single Multi-Melta shot. This thing has survivability and major out put. This make nid play just a little nerves.
    I am an Indestructible master of War.

+ Reply to Thread