Tanith First and Only: aka "Guants Ghosts" Codex Idea - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tanith First and Only: aka "Guants Ghosts" Codex Idea

As well as me i am sure that alot of you fellow imperial guard posters on here are as big a fan as i am in regards to the Gaunts Ghosts novels starring the famed Tanith First and Only. I have been thinking for a while that even though the models for the most part are discontinued that it would be quite cool to see a splinter codex featuring these guys much like the old Catachans. Below are some ideas and rulse that i have come up with regarding the Ghosts and i think this would be a fun thing for everyone else to chip in and discuss or even add ideas. Anyways this is what i have come up with (i have taken into account the novels and what a light recon force may/would use so bear with me on that):

*All Tanith units in the army count as "Veterans" and come with the "Forward Sentries Doctrine" standard no aditional points required and this is for the standard infantry platoons (they dont get veteran squads). So in short think of the standard infantry platoons but all of them with veteran statistics. The downside to this is that they cannot take the "Grenadiers" doctrine ever.

*Because they are all veterans add 10 pts to all infantry platoon sections (so instead of 50 a standard infantry squad is 60 )

*They are limited to flamers, heavy flamers, demo charges and sniper rifles for special weapons (includes special weapon squads).

*All Tanith Heavy Weapon Units count as being veteran heavy weapon teams but the heaviest weapon they can take are missle launchers ("tread feathers")

*Cannot take Ratlings or Ogryns

*Tanith "Scouts" are the only elite choice allowed in this list. They pretty much have storm troopers statistics in terms of squad size however they cannot take airborne operations doctrine but have the Recon and behind enemy lines and can take both at the same time. But they are 20 points more expensive then storm trooper squads (so 105 instead of 85).

*A Scout Squad is armed with "Nalwood-Long Las' aka the stormtrooper lasgun (with the ap3) but with 24 inch range instead of 18. May take a single demo charge for special weapon and can be upgraded with melta bombs.

*All Tanith vehicles count as having BS 4, add 10 points to all vehicle costs (example: one standard scout sentinel is worth 45pts now instead of 35)

*Scout Sentinels and chimeras count as fast attack choices but armored sentinels count as heavy support choices, they may not take any leman russ variants or ordnance vehicles in their list.

*All Tanith vehicles cannot take Armored crew compartment vehicle upgrade

*All Tanith vehicles (if you use any) count as having camo netting for no additional points

*Special characters (such as Bragg, Dorden, Larkin, Rawne ect.) will be available under HQ, elite and troop choices

*Gaunt must be at least 1 of yourHQ choices in your army, you cannot take any other.

This is what i have come up with so far, so in short:

Pros:
    -All Tanith units have a BS of 4
    -The Elite choice of Scouts comes with the recon and behind enemy lines doctine (dont have to choose between the two)
    -All Tanith Units have Camo Cloaks for no additional points
    -All vehicles have camo netting for no additional points
    -Can run armored sentinels as heavy support choices

Cons:
    -Very Expensive in terms of point value
    -Cannot take any carapace armor, whole armies save is at 5+ (includes special characters)-Cannot take any Leman Russ Battle Tank Variants or Ordnance choices
    -Limited with what special and heavy weapons they can field
    -No dedicated transports-No armored crew compartment upgrade
    -Cannot take Ratlings or Ogryns

Overall i think this balances out the army very well. The Ghosts cant take alot of stuff but at the same time get alot of stuff in return and at the same time fit the recon fluff very well. As i said this is just a first attempt at it but looking over it i think that along with being competitive this list would be very fluffy in starting the recreation of the Tanith First and Only. Feel free to discuss or add any ideas of your own and tell me what you think.

Last edited by GMAleron; March 10th, 2010 at 18:41.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No! No! No! Not to be mean but The Ghosts can be made with the codex as is. Thats why there is the commi lord, command squad and vets with the option to take camo cloaks and sniper rifles.

The Ghosts have no vehicles at all. All other tanks are other regiments, ie the Pardus or the Narmenians using conquerers (i suppose eradicators are about the closest) or regular russes/demolishers respectively. They have only used one chimera ever in the books (the beaten up one on Hagia) other than that its troop trucks.

The scouts don't have sniper rifles. Infact if you want to be a scout you can't be a sniper anymore (see Muril).

At the end of the day the Ghosts are great in the book because of a certain amount of plot armour and the fact they only come up against cultists or other guardsmen equivlents. Other than in traitor general they die in droves to a single chaos marine or deamon-y thing... Table top wise they wouldn't be all that effective vs all power-armoured foes. They only have Sniper rifles, flamers, missile launchers and (because stubbers arn't an option) h bolters/autocannons. But you wouldn't be able to field a large army, because you could only have 2 HQ - Guant (commie lord with cape and P weapon) and a Command Squad (Rawne and couple of dudes with capes) and 6 troops - 6 vets squads with capes and a mix of the weapons shown above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scouts dont neccesarily have a sniper rifle just something that would represent the storm troopers hot shot lasgun but with better range. And im very aware that the Tanith do not have vehicles i just added them in there to fit the fluff that they are a recon unit. And its just an idea so no need to panic!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Youcan use anything in the book. as you said ernie 55 those are the only units that tanith use, however they are never deployed by themselves, they are always accompanying another regiment. usualy one with lots of tanks. so you would have the above stated units as tanith and have a second regiment for the tanks, e.g. jantine patricians (bad example), or vitrian dragoon (good example).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as I love the Ghosts (by far my favorite series ever), I've got to agree with the last few posts. This can already be accomplished by what's available in the codex. Even if you were to make a splinter codex, it doesn't sound like it would stick much to the fluff. As someone said above, vehicles were from other regiments and the Scouts definitely do not have superpowered lasguns. They use regular lasguns and are just really good at what they do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the series they do not survive against better foes because of better equipment, but because of inspiring leadership with gaunt, so any Tanith codex can be compettitive, as long as you have rules to represent the couragousness of the tanith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x1)

If you're dead-set on creating a splinter-dex (personally I think they can be reperesented using the standard rules),

My suggestion would be that the scouts have sniper rifles, (standard equipment), but that they rend on a 5 or 6 with a special rule (superb skill).
    Inquistion force WIP. Pics on posts 17 and 23.

+ Reply to Thread