Calgar - No Retreat? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calgar - No Retreat?

Calgar has the ability to make any unit in the army decide whether they pass or fail a morale check (let me know if I am worng with this.) If a unit loses combat, and the player decides to automatically pass the test, do they suffer a No Retreat?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    51 (x1)

Hey,

I would believe not. According to how you stated it (and how I think its written), the unit is still subject to the Morale Test, but Calgar's special rules allow you to CHOSE to pass or fail the test. So with the way I am looking at, the unit still takes the test, unlike fearless units that auto-pass the test and are subject to the No Retreat rule.

-Aemilius
    Space Marines are like gravity. It's not just a good idea. It's the Law.
    -Aemilius

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

It's very much up for debate, but my thoughts would be yes, they suffer from no retreat. No dice are rolled, you have chosen to automatically pass.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion i believe they wouldn't be subject to no retreat. Although reality could be right because in the rule book it says "they may be subject to some other special rule"(under the no retreat entry on pg 44 of the brb) which might refer to this kind of rule.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

From page 44, no retreat : "It's not uncommon for units to be immune to Moral checks for losing an assault, or to automatically pass them for some reason..."

Choosing to automatically pass your moral check is automatically passing your moral check, hence no retreat is invoked.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
    From page 44, no retreat : "It's not uncommon for units to be immune to Moral checks for losing an assault, or to automatically pass them for some reason..."

Choosing to automatically pass your moral check is automatically passing your moral check, hence no retreat is invoked.
    Page 84 of the marine codex clearly states "Whilst Calgar is on the table, all units with the Combat Tactics special rule can also choose whetherto pass or fail any Morale check they are called upon to take."

No where in this does it say do they automatically pass, it says that you may choose to pass. This also means that you may chose to fail as well, which further makes passing the test NOT automatic. In short no they would not suffer no retreat wounds.
    Ask me about the Black and White Space Marine on the Black and White Bike!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

415 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheque View Post
    It's very much up for debate, but my thoughts would be yes, they suffer from no retreat. No dice are rolled, you have chosen to automatically pass.
    The fact that you've chosen to do it means that it's not automatic. If it was automatic, you wouldn't have to choose to do it. It would happen without any input from you.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ze_poodle View Post
    The fact that you've chosen to do it means that it's not automatic. If it was automatic, you wouldn't have to choose to do it. It would happen without any input from you.
    I agree with that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's not as if they were fearless or as if they were caught as they ran, it's exactly as if you passed a leadership test, as it would be if you used combat tactics to fail one. So no, No Retreat is not used in this circumstance.
    I serve my master and do as he wants. He wants the badlands, thus they will be his.
    -Shriva the Damned

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Biscuits View Post
    This also means that you may chose to fail as well, which further makes passing the test NOT automatic.
    Rubbish. If you are passing a test without having to roll the dice, it's an automatic pass.

You are trying to argue that being forced to automatically pass a test and choosing to automatically pass a test are somehow different with regards to the 'automatically passing' element.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast