Thinking of starting the Guard, need a bit of Advice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking of starting the Guard, need a bit of Advice

Howdy, I was wondering if the IG players could answer a few questions.

1, Me and a friend are getting into 40k, I'm planning on the Guard and hes planning on the Tau how are the Imperial Guard-Tau gameplay wise as opponents?

2, Does my Platoon Command Squad need to look like the Command Squad model sold on the Games Workshop website? (the Cadian one) or can I us something else like, a Sergeant model?

3, Any idea why they put one Sentinel in the Cadian/Catachan boxed sets? I was kinda wanting a Leman Russ in my first army which also brings up:

4, What are the ideal point limits for starting out? 500? 750?

Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

1. Guard and tau are both decent armies. Tau will be a real challenge for guard as railguns and S5 pulse rufles mean you often get outshot.

2. A platoon command can look how you wish as long as the figures are represented. PCS standards are useless so you don't need models for them. As long as you have an officer type figure armed correctly it should be fine to use normal squaddies in the PCS.

3. The old battleforce contained a leman russ but not a sentinel or PCS. Trole arount the webstores or ebay and you may still find a few out there. Overall the new one is slightly better value I think but if you don't like sentinels of course the old box would have suited you better.

4. 500 point games are rather unfulfilling. Aim for 750 and expand to 1000 or 1500 as quick as your paintbrush and wallet can manage.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x5)

Guard and Tau are both tops, but Tau are harder to master as their tactics aren't as intuitive and most of their players don't know how to build proper armies. Guard have a numbers advantage and better in-your-face mobility, while Tau excel at blocking your movement and then killing you with accurate firepower from afar.

If you want to know about Tau go over to their forum and read anything by Rikimaru or Number6.

As for guard, you can use any mini you want as long as it's properly equipped and looks appropriate to it's job. You might not know this, but there's more than just Cadian and Catachan figures out there. There's also the older metal ranges like the Vostroyan, Tallarn, Praetorian, Mordian, Steel Legion, and Valhallans. Plus the Krieg and Elysian ranges from Forge World. For a total of 10 different Guard miniature ranges. You can also mix and match or convert these to your liking.

As for the Sentinel, it's cheaper to make than a Russ. Inflation, you know.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I would caution your friend against doing Tau. They aren't a good beginner's army, having a very steep learning curve and disadvantages that can't be compensated for; close combat is a critical part of 40k rules. Eldar, Marines and Tyranids can all do well at shooting and are much more forgiving armies to play.

That being said, Guard vs. Tau battles tend to be fun, since both sides are weak in close combat and effective at opposing the strengths of the other.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

I can just see all the tanks littering the battlefield now....

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

Also if he digs the Tau that is also important given the required investment of time and money to get them to table. If you like the army and enjoy their fluff and appearance you are more likely to persevere through a tough learning curve. He has a friendly opponent to learn on too.

+ Reply to Thread