Anyone rate grenadiers?? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

Anyone rate grenadiers??

Go easy on me, I'm a born again newbie and never played much Guard anyways.

Eldar just tank-shocked my infantry off the board and off my objectives in my last game. It was fairly low points so I couldn't afford commisars to bolster their morale, so they were regularly shocked (yet made every single order check, so at least they are loyal). I have a couple of quick questions.

1) Do paired infantry squads with commisars hold ground ok?
    2) If I go mech, I suppose vets are the way to go. I always liked grenade launchers are they still ok choices for a vet squad? I see a lot of melta spam. Is that entirely needed?
    3) Anyone like grenadiers? I have a batch of miniatures that would look good as carapace armoured guard I'd like to paint up, but they seem a bit expensive TBH. A bit sub-optimal is OK, but absolutely sucking isn't a whole heap of fun.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ad 1) Yes they do! I like them very much.

ad 2) If you want to destroy those Land Raiders and other AV 14s, yes. But the grenade lauchers are okay, too. It always depends on what you are facing.

ad 3) I never used them, because I don´t have the models. But I never missed them. My veterans always sit in their transports or use the wreck as cover
    So I think, grenadiers are a bit sub-optimal but OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

55 (x2)

The commisar special rule is just so much fun I might go mixed then. Grenadier vets to go forward and double squads with commisars to defend.
    Thanks for the answers

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Do paired infantry squads with commisars hold ground ok?
    Yes, in fact that's the most commonly encountered deployment of infantry platoons these days.

Carapace armor is generally redundant with cover saves in 5th Edition, hence its unpopularity. If you use those miniatures you mentioned as your veterans exclusively then WYSIWYG should be satisfied without the Grenadiers upgrade.

Mechanized melta spam is the most statistically effective way to play Guard these days but it isn't strictly necessary. Ordnance is almost as powerful, multi-role and useful at long range. Guard can also have the most lascannons-per-point of any army and we have a few ways to get flank shots and such. Even the demolitions veteran upgrade is useful, though inexplicably not as popular as I had expected.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a plasmagun kind of guy, so well me and grenadiers are kind of tight, oh boy but not really, plasma gunners gotta learn not for light cigars... These plasma guns are for my vet squads. Fun thing to do is 30-40 gurdsmen with one comi., u keep ur regimental command with standard out of sight, reroll stubborn ld 9, yes blackguard with bsb, oh sorry wrong game. It works pretty well u can sett it up to keep it within 6 of ur objective but the foe further then six, giving you a nice win in a meat grinder.
    Isn't That Just Peachey

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_deathslayer View Post
    I'm a plasmagun kind of guy, so well me and grenadiers are kind of tight, oh boy but not really, plasma gunners gotta learn not for light cigars... These plasma guns are for my vet squads. Fun thing to do is 30-40 gurdsmen with one comi., u keep ur regimental command with standard out of sight, reroll stubborn ld 9, yes blackguard with bsb, oh sorry wrong game. It works pretty well u can sett it up to keep it within 6 of ur objective but the foe further then six, giving you a nice win in a meat grinder.
    What?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me translate:

He uses Grenadiers since he seems to usually arm his Veterans with Plasma Guns, therefore giving them a higher chance of surviving.
    Then he enforces this by saying that Plasma Gunners need to take proper care when using Plasma Guns and to not stray from the given instructions and attempt to perform other unsitable activities with the Emperors property.

He then suggests an amusing way of deploying Infantry Squads, this being in the fashion of squads of 30-40 Guardsmen with a Commissar in their midst.
    He states that theese are granted a re-rollable LD of 9, and that this is somewhat simillar to the Black Guard unit from Dark Elves in Warhammer Fantasy Battles, while being in the presence of a Battle Standard Bearer.
    He suggests to keep this unit within 6" of an Objective, and to try and maintain the enemys distance to it greater than 6".

This was ofcourse aöl written, in a form in which both grammar and the usage of seperations between different parts of the message has been totally forgotten or not yet learnt by the writer. Either this, or just plain lazyness.

Now, back on topic. I've never seen the usage of the Grenadiers doctrine all to effective. The 4+ AS really doesn't give all that much due to the vast amount of Cover Saves in 40k, and it's still on a T3 glorified Guardsman. I prefer Demolitions, if anything.

Cheers ^^
    http://refraintofsanity.blogspot.com/
    -"Oh God, this is going to take a while..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

55 (x2)

A save versus flamers is nice though
    Mainly I'm interested in the models. I have over a hundred flak infantry already (50-60 cadians, 50-60 tallarns, 20 steel legion, 30-40 catachans).

Another quick one;
    Seeing as a chimera is easily worth the points, I'm tempted to go with HK missiles in an attempt to pop some enemy transports early.
    I don't see this in lists, so I'm guessing the prevaling wisdom is not to bother.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowglacht View Post
    Seeing as a chimera is easily worth the points, I'm tempted to go with HK missiles in an attempt to pop some enemy transports early.
    I don't see this in lists, so I'm guessing the prevaling wisdom is not to bother.
    There is one unit I would ever put HKMs on, and it is scout sentinels. They are walkers so they can fire all weapons on the move, and they can outflank for rear or side shots at vehicles. Also you should oly count on 1-2 shooting phases for them, so an upgrade to double a 45pt model (scout sentinel w/ missile launcher) firepower fr a turn is worth it tome. Although the ideal setup would probobly be autocannon missile launcher, and that's only 50 points.

The Emperor Protects
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

I like Grenadiers for two squads:

Plasma Veteran Squads. Other than giving them a save from Bolters, the 4+ save is better when my Plasma inevitably overheats!

Assault Veteran Squads: Give the Sgt a Fist and take two Meltas and one Heavy Flamer. Give the other troopers Shotguns and you have a reasonably effective last ditch assault squad thay is also decent at tank popping.

Other than those squads, I feel Grenadiers just aren't worth the points, but I doooooo love the Kaskrin models......
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast