drop pod army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drop pod army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drop pod army

I'm going for raven guard army. Drop pod and deep strike everything. Can dreadnoughts take on the role of heavy punching unit? Do I need something heavy (devastators or thunderfire cannon)? I hope not because dropping those and not being able to fire for one turn sucks :-)Also would you allow the dread drop pod (source: imp armor 2) in your game if the opponent were to ask.thanks in advance for your comments, thoughts and advice

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Drop pod lists can easily be countered by a vaguely intelligent player. If you're dead set on it though go for it. They're lots of fun to play. Just remember when you drop down all your mobility has gone and you're now a foot slogger army.

I've seen drop pod lists come down, all tooled up with Plasma/melta and then end up never having shot because they're to far away from things to shoot them. Taking some heavy weapons will be handy - cheap devestator squads with Missile Launchers are useful for support blasting from turn 2 onwards - or if you're after serious close range fire power take a Command squad with 4 Plasma/Melta.

Dreadnaughts are brilliant though and suit a drop list very well. Mobile Heavy weapons are your friend. Assault cannons, Multi Meltas and Twin Autocannons are your best bet for busting up armour. Iron Clads with 2 H-Flamers are good for burning Infantry too.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

I've got to concure with getting a devastator squad a drop pod. The pod lets you put them pretty much anywhere you want for optimal lines of sights, and having that pod there means you know you've got some cover to work with. If you're worried about stuff getting close, you can give the pod the deathwind launcher of close in defense against most infantry (or the beacon for bringing down reinforcement units). I sometimes pair them with a pair of deepstriking dreadnoughts as the 3rd pod out for good effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like dreadnaughts but if you're going to go for a drop pod army don't use autocannons, that's a long range build. Use Assault cannons, likely with a CCW and a flamer. Much more general purpose and actually better against heavy armor than a lascannon.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

Typhoon landspeeders as I'm sure red archer or someone would say. Have dreds (or termies or sternguard) and tacs in pods, and then landspeeders.

The best drop pod list I ever saw was a MotF, 3 tactical squads, 3 dreadnoughts (may have been ironclads/venerables), a shooty termie squad with CML and typhoon landspeeders.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

192 (x4)

Personally I find that dreadnaughts can pack a ton of hitting power and in a drop pod can be used to suit almost ant (or every) role needed in your army. They should be used with support and although I think the plas/ melta command squad could be useful the devastaror squad should not be neccasarry. I have had tonnes of experience with dreadnaught heavy lists, all drop podding whether it was normal dreads, ironclads, or vens and this is what I've found works the best at 2000 points.

HQ
    Master of the Forge Power Weapon 115

Librarian Avenger Null Zone 100

Elites
    Dreadnaught Assault Cannon Twin Linked Autocannon Drop Pod Locator Beacon 170

Dreadnaught Multi Melta Heavy Flamer Drop Pod 150

Dreadnaught Multi Melta Heavy Flamer Drop Pod 150

Troops
    10 Tactical Marines Plasma Cannon Flamer Sergeant Power Fist Drop Pod 235

10 Tactical Marines Missile Launcher Flamer Drop Pod Sergeant Power Fist 230

10 Tactical Marines Missile Launcher Meltagun Sergeant Power Fist Drop Pod 235

Fast Attack
    Land Speeder Typhoon Heavy Bolter 90

Heavy Support
    Dreadnaught Plasma Cannon Heavy Flamer Drop Pod 160

Dreadnaught Assault Cannon Heavy Flamer Drop Pod 160

Ironclad Dreadnaught Seismic Hammer Dual Heavy Flamers Two Hunter Killer Missiles Drop Pod 205

It has anti tank, anti infantry, some amazing staying power, and the ability to put no less than 5 dreadnaughts in my opponents face on turn one. Should you stick to a list much like this one I doubt you will go too far wrong. I really do not see the need for devastator squads, as my five dreadnaughts as well as 3 tactical squads can be used for decent long range support, my typhoon was even put in here for that exact reason, and would do the job and suit the army much better than devastators.
    Last edited by Mr. Biscuits; March 17th, 2010 at 18:50.
    Ask me about the Black and White Space Marine on the Black and White Bike!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreadnoughts will be your money maker in this situation. Multi-melta is perfect for drop poding dreads and it's cheap to boot. The IC Dread will give you that 13 that will help with survivability.

Sternguard with combi-meltas will go a long way for you, and when stuck in with a librarian they can jump all over busting up whatever you like.

Land speeders are also a help in a DP army. Multi-melta heavy flamer is a cheap all around option that really shine if you include Vulkan. The Typhoon is also a good option. Remember it is these units that will offset your lack of mobility. Use them to contest objectives turn four and five.

I would propose you skip putting devastators or a Thunderfire in a drop pod. The reason is they are heavy weapons, and all the power in a drop pod list is the first strike. These units will not be firing on the turn they come in. If it isn't the first turn when they arrive they may only get two rounds of shooting, if that. That's a lot of points for a little use.

Remember your units will be very slow after drop so think wisely on who to drop first and where. Beware the player that just reserves their whole army. This makes for a tougher battle and takes your advantage away.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

192 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Pingl000 View Post
    I would propose you skip putting devastators or a Thunderfire in a drop pod. The reason is they are heavy weapons, and all the power in a drop pod list is the first strike. These units will not be firing on the turn they come in. If it isn't the first turn when they arrive they may only get two rounds of shooting, if that. That's a lot of points for a little use.
    Nothing is more true, that's why I posted my above list. It has a huge amount of hitting power for that initial strike, and everything can still fire and be fairly effective depending on how close they land on the turn they land.

Target priority with this type of list is important. First of all you should hit that one uber thing that your afraid will rip your dreadnaughts and units aprt, followed by anything that is fast and can get out of your reach too easily. Yes your heavy flamer may be able to do some major damage to say a fire warrior unit sitting perfectly in a 2x6 block, and if nothing else arises then maybe you should try it but 9 times out of 10 wouldn't it be more useful to take a chance at busting up that hammerhead setting it's sights on your ironclad first? It may not have the same odds of putting out the tank as it does the unit but the fire warriors strength 5 can't do much to a dreadnaught, wehere a hammerhead's strenth 10 and ap 1 sure as hell can!

Drop pod armies do not have much on the table turn one so what you need o do with them sometimes is not worry about how much damage it can inflict this turn but how long you can keep it i your opponents face. It's not always an easy decision to make, but it's usually one worth making.
    Last edited by Mr. Biscuits; March 17th, 2010 at 22:53.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

Intersting theory of being able to easily counter drop pod armies. I can't think of anything short of reserving more than 80% of your force and/or castling.
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

192 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by antique_nova View Post
    Intersting theory of being able to easily counter drop pod armies. I can't think of anything short of reserving more than 80% of your force and/or castling.
    Lists such as mech dark eldar are just able to get out of our reach if we dont slow them down first. My brother plays one of these, just about every single model is a mounted in a fast skimmer or a jetbike. It's very fragile but rediculasly fast and can hit really hard. When facing lists like this you can usually tell whos going to win by turn 3, or earlier if for some reason they don't reserve everything.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast