Possible New Player - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possible New Player

Hi, I am thinking of starting a new army, which will probably be Cadian and Troops heavy. I currently play Space Marines (I have done since 5th Ed came out), and have 4K points of that.

The reason for IG is to have an army which is different to Space Marines, but can still play Apocalypse with them.

I am currently skint (£3 ain't much), so will probably finish painting my Space Marines this year until I have enough money for the Battleforce and Codex. I will then add a couple of Chimeras, a few more Guardsmen and possibly a couple more Sentinels (I saw you get one in the box).

This is just something I heard, but can you start playin with Guard as soon as you have a Battlegorce, because it comes with a Command Squad.

If you have any suggestions as what to put on my shopping list, colour schemes etc. I would be happy to hear from you!

Space Marines: 4,000pts - 7/7/2
    Imperial Guard: Under Construction...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

You can start playing with the battleforce out of the box, yup.

It's got a Command squad, two regular ("veteran or Penal Legion") squads, a heavy weapon team (3), and a Sentinel.

You're on the ball for what to start with, Chimeras are always good, and I personally love Sentinels (with Autocannons, anyway).

If you're looking at tanks, there's a split in the IG community as to which is to be taken: Leman Russ Demolishers, and regular Leman Russ Battle Tanks.

I'm 50/50, since I think both are great tanks (and really, they are).

Valkryies, and by that extension, Vendettas, are great choices as well, but since you're running chimeras, it's not as big of a deal.

You would probably be running a Veteran Chimelta list, which is posted all over the forums, basically it's a Veteran squad with 3 melta guns, the demolitions doctrine, all stuffed inside of a chimera. It's pretty much the communities favourite unit, if not a little dry for my tastes.

The best place to look is on the Army list section to get an idea of what you want to play. A lot of lists are up there and usually critiqued for both being good and not so good, giving you a good indication of what you might want to play. There's no "win all" list with guard, we're pretty flexible, so it's up to you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can but I wouldn't

The Battleforce box gives you a 5 man command, 2x10man squads, 3x2man Hvy weapons & a sentinel.
    This makes it just possible to field an HQ (command unit) & 2 veteran squads (troops) which is a minimum army @ just over 200pts more with heavy , special weapons and vox added in.

I would go for 2 battle force boxes though as first two buys so you can field:
    HQ: CCS with autocannon
    Troops: PCS with autocannon & 2-4 squads each with an autocannon.
    Troops: Veterans with 3 meltas (need converting?) in transport,
    Fast attack: pair of sentinels.

Take care and save the pennies.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

Totally Ninjaed Kevin. His suggestion is a good one!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

I'm new to guard myself, but maybe I can help a little.

As far as the Battleforce boxes go, you're actually getting enough plastic to have 1 infantry platoon (command squad plus two infantry squads) with the option of heavy weapon teams (which I'd go for) and a sentinel. So, you're looking at 1 troop and 1 fast attack choice. Two battleforce boxes, plus another command box, will give you the standard HQ/2 troops you need to be legal. From there, you can add the models of your liking such as the chimeras and I'd go with a leman russ type tank or two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all your advice!

I've been looking at the GW website, and have decided on what to buy over the course of next year/what to put on birthday/Christmas list.

I am hoping for the Codex, Battleforce, a few more Troopers and a couple of Chimera before the year is out (I've got some High Elf stuff I need to shift).

I will probably have everything on my wish list in about two years.

It's a long-term plan, but hopefully I will be able to do it.

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

If your buying battleboxes and stuff like tanks a cheaper way of picking things up is online retailers who give a discount on the big boxed stuff, and ebay where you can often pick up chimeras and stuff like that that just need a bit of TLC and then are right as rain.
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I looked on ebay, the only stuff on at the moment is too expensive.

I don't like online retailers, some don't really offer much of a discount and I feel like I'm robbing Games Workshop because of all the gaming and painting advice they give me for free.

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Aenarion the Second View Post
    I looked on ebay, the only stuff on at the moment is too expensive.

I don't like online retailers, some don't really offer much of a discount and I feel like I'm robbing Games Workshop because of all the gaming and painting advice they give me for free.
    Oh they get their pound of flesh don't worry...

Thats fair enough, i used to shop exclusively on GWs website although recently i've had huge problems logging on so have had to change who I buy from (I try and avoid GW stores due to the overly eager staff and neckbeard sporting clientel)

Ebay can be hit and miss I agree.
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

The Warstore is the best. 20% off, flat shipping, fast delivery, and great customer service. I <3 Neil.

Anyway, if you're just starting out, I'd just pick up the Codex for now. Read through it, get some ideas of what kind of army you want to have. Play test using your marines as proxies so you won't end up shelling out for models you may end up never using.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast