New player building a witch hunter army! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New player building a witch hunter army!

If this is the wrong board for this excuse me and just tell me where to redirect it and I'll delete this :

I just got my first few pieces after watching some kids play at the local hobby store and mulling over which army to go with for a few weeks. My girlfriend is playing with me, and we were between Eldar and Witch Hunters. We decided with witch hunters.

We only have a vague understanding of the Witch Hunter codex and the rule book.

So far we have purchased
    1 immolator tank
    1 sisters of battle squad

Our checks both come in the same day so eagerly, this week we'll be picking up a new box or two.

Here's where our questions lie. I myself have never been a person to focus on aesthetics, but after seeing Lord Karamazov and being a huge Dostoevsky fan, I'm in love. Same with the penitent engines, or whatever they're called. Amazing models, and they fit the whole authoritarian space catholic feel pretty well.

But is it really practical or even by the rules available to have these? Most builds I see always have like 1 or 2 cannonesses, a couple sisters squads, the fast attacking sisters, then a ton of exorcists, immolators, rihno.

Is it also true that you can call forces of space marines or imperial gaurd? how does this work? Are there some sort of unit requirements for it?

I'm not going to be competitive and play in big tournaments. Most of the kids at the shop I go to are space marines, necron or tau.I think there's another Tyranid kid, not sure.

What's my best bet for like..1k points? I'm not even sure how many they usually play at my shop.

Sorry for all the questions!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well so far u have a good start, sisters and immolator is always good . for lord karamazov if u checked correctly u need a certain amount of point to be able to put him in your army( 1500 or 2000).. so sure u can play with it but u play it in larger games.. as for the penitent engine they are close combat bully but kinda fragile.. once again its gonna depend on the way u play and the mission ur doing.. if u play in game with lots of open ground.. dont go for those they gonna get wiped especially for the points they worth..

but once again.. making ur army is up to u.. trying new stuff is ok and is part of the hobby.. keep ready this part of the forum and your gonna learn more about how to play witch hunters

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Your next purchase should be the witch hunters codex. I've heard that it's hard to find lately (GW not shipping any more copies?), but you can still find it, ebay has 9 at the moment, and cheaper than list, too. That will answer all your questions about army building rules... You'll need at least one more box of plain battle sisters, or storm troopers, so that should be high on your list. You'll need some kind of leader. Karamazov fits the bill, if you're playing a large enough game that he's allowed. You don't have to have a canoness, they're jsut very popular because they're very effective. I personally only use one canoness (without a jetpack ~gasp~)...and I do use an inquisitor lady as a second HQ.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

(Un)Official LO Map Maker Cannibal God's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    162 (x3)

At a store or tournament, it's usually 1000 or 1500 points and I definately recommend this as you'll get heaps of advice and criticism which can help you with painting and tactics.

People usually favour a mechanised force with witchhunters, but some people swear by footslogging(look up InquisitorKrik I think her name is...). I'm going with mechanised, every squad has a transport and support roles are all tanks, but really it's down to you.

Allies, well to my understanding(lack thereof), space marines and sisters of battle don't get along and you can't mix them. I'm also confused over if you can include daemonhunters in your witchhunters list, ig and sm were the only ones mentioned i think. Someone else more experienced will have to help you(and me) on that one.
    If someone helps you, rep them.
    In a votewar you don't vote on a single match, you vote on the entire round. Got that?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

for Daemonhunters you can take 1 HQ, 1 Elite, 2 Troops, and 1 Fast Attack with your Witch Hunter list, these cannot count towards the minimum 1 HQ and 2 Troops. However Grey Knights do not count as space marines as far as the "no space marines and sisters together" thing so you can have two squads of sisters and two squads of grey knights if you so choose.

I often take a Daemonhunter Inquisitor Lord along with my sisters to provide anti psyker and deepstriker firepower.

Suffer not the heretic. That's right, I'm looking at you Astartes Librarians.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

welcome to the madness that is the Inquisition.

Aggies for 40k - PM me for details.

+ Reply to Thread