Combat Squads and Razorbacks - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Combat Squads and Razorbacks

Quick clarification: Razorbacks can take 6 marines. Can I make a 10 man tact squad, separate it out into 2 combat squads (say 5 and 5) and give each Combat Squad a Razorback? Or since the original squad is 10 man strong, the Rhino is the only option for a dedicated transport?

Thanks in advance.

Stormcrows Chapter of the Space Marines
    Praemonitus praemunitus
    Enemy: W/L/D
    IG: 2/0/0
    Tyranids: 1/1/1
    Chaos: 4/0/1
    DH: 3/1/1
    SW: 0/1/0
    SM: 1/0/0
    Orcs: 1/0/0
    Necron: 2/2/0
    Total: 14/5/3

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Dremmen View Post
    Quick clarification: Razorbacks can take 6 marines. Can I make a 10 man tact squad, separate it out into 2 combat squads (say 5 and 5) and give each Combat Squad a Razorback?
    Yes and no. As one troops choice, it can only have one dedicated Transport. But yes, you can split the Tactical Squad into two 5-man Combat Squads and put one in the Razorback. It's a common tactic amongst many marine players. You put the Sergeant (PW/PF) and the special weapon in the Razorback and four guys with a heavy weapon sit on the home objective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey,

I did a quick look through my Codex and the Rulebook and I couldn't find anything that says you cant. Also going with the idea that you can take a dedicated transport and not deploy troops in it, yes you could take a Razorback for a Combat Team.

However, take into account I am not a SM player and not a Rule Lawyer.

-i got ninja'd-
    "The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?"
    -Il Duce

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

1 dedicated transport (Rhino/Razor/Pod) per Tactical Squad, regardless of size, not 1 per Combat Squad.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

But there's nothing to stop you buying one for another squad that won't use it, you just can't start anyone else in it.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

431 (x8)

Yep, you can just hop them in turn 1.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheque View Post
    But there's nothing to stop you buying one for another squad that won't use it, you just can't start anyone else in it.
    This works very well with SW, as their Long Fangs can take, but generally will not need, a dedicated transport. The new BA also have much more affordable Devastators, and so again it is a viable choice for them as well, although their Razorbacks are a bit more expensive (and for good reason). Otherwise, there's generally few circumstances when a squad other than Devies can afford to abandon their transport, and so this tactic would appear exclusive (according to cost effectiveness) to SW and BA.. Vanilla Devies are just too expensive (by comparison, +5 points / HB, MM, or ML, +10 points per PC or LC, not much of a difference, but enough to justify other Heavy choices over them.)
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see..so if I wanted to take a 10 man tact squad with ML and PF, I could give them a Razorback. Then at the beginning of the game I could put 5 marines with the ML near the back, besides the Razorback, while the other 5 with the PF could take a forward position. The ML and the TLLC on the Razorback would be quite handy from the back, providing cover fire. In the meantime the 5 marines with PF could claim objectives or run screen against charging hoards. And if I needed to I could board the Razorback with the 5 marines in the back and move them forward in the Razorback to support their mates or claim objectives. Does all that sound about legal?
    Stormcrows Chapter of the Space Marines
    Praemonitus praemunitus
    Enemy: W/L/D
    IG: 2/0/0
    Tyranids: 1/1/1
    Chaos: 4/0/1
    DH: 3/1/1
    SW: 0/1/0
    SM: 1/0/0
    Orcs: 1/0/0
    Necron: 2/2/0
    Total: 14/5/3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, this is all completely fine.
    Never judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes...by that time they'll be a mile away, and have no shoes

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

You've got it all backwards. The sergeant and special weapon (flamer/melta/plasma) go in the razorback, while the heavy weapon sits back and fires down field. Also, razorbacks do not have fire points, so your ML will be sitting idle until the turn after squad disembarks. Also also, no need to deploy the models on field, squads who purchased a dedicated transport can begin the game inside of that transport.

Here's an example:

Tactical Squad
    +Combat Squad
    ++Sergeant with Meltabombs and Power Weapon
    ++1x Meltagun
    ++ 3x stock Tactical Marines
    ++ Razorback
    +++ TL Assault Cannon
    +Combat Squad
    ++ Missile Launcher
    ++ 4x stock Tactical Marines
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast