Librarium Online Forums banner

Using your elite slots

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  The_Outsider 
#1 ·
SoB player here, just asking you guys how you fill your elite slots? I know Repentia are da poop in most situations (tho I would run them in apocalypse..) Celastines are the obvious answer, but how do you all run your Celastine squads? What roles do you give them? Just curious

#2 ·
I like Celestians with 2 meltaguns in immolators with heavy flamers- the immo cooks infantry and the meltaguns cook armour. Also, they get you faith even if you don't buy the superior. If you take 5 with only the meltas as upgrades, and the immo without upgrades, it'll cost you 150 pts.

But I also like arcoflagellants; toughness 5 and a 4+ invulnerable; a possible 42 s4 power weapon hits on the charge. A full squad is 210 points. This is the way to go if you're facing an army that has 30 terminators but no tanks, or if you're up against necrons (I say that because melta is no big deal against necrons whereas 12-42 power weapon attacks on the charge is).

#3 ·
As IofRaw said, 5 celestians, 2 meltaguns, immo. Cheap and cheerful (though not as cheap as the blood angels and their fast scoring flamer razorbacks - shakes fist).
They are the only elites choice that generate faith.

Other choices :
Elite inquisitor - I sometimes take one as an alternative 'sergeant' for an IST squad, but I usually take it from the DH codex if i'm using it that way. Has some potential as a small fire squad (with plasmaguns for instance) but again the allied DH fills the roll better.

Arcos - Had a squad kill 9 zerkers on the charge. They still lost combat because they killed themselves too. I still like them in radical lists, though they could do with FnP as small arms fire really kills them. Don't like them in normal lists because the compulsory priest costs me a chunk of change and gimps one of my other units

Repentia - When you pay less for each model than the cost of just the weapon they carry you would thing you are getting a great deal. Doesn't really work out that way though.
The repentia in the strike force fan-dex is a good laugh though - drop pod comes down, doors open, and 2-3 repentia on average fall out dead.

Culexus - Suffers from being useless outside of jumping heirophants and gargantuan daemons in apoc games. 12" range and no real close combat ability. Best of all he has no psychic protection beyond a targetting Ld test, some psychic assassin.
Eversor - Suffers from not having frag grenades. Is quite soft skilled with the piling in, not target priority, and higher proportions of I5 models in 5th ed. Can do damage though.
Vindicare - One shot a round, 50/50 to wound. Would take to support radical/penitent spam but is unreliable at best. Will get charged and beaten up somewhere around turn 3 if your opponent bothers with him.
Callidus - Most likely to do meaningful damage, can stab up a key unit but is costing you virtually a whole exorcist for the privilege. Lacks the protection and target selection of older editions.

Allied GK terminatorsAlways an option, but difficult to integrate with most WH lists. Do have access to an Ld10 psychic hood, psycannons, etc.

#4 ·
favorite Elite: 5Celestians w/2melta in Hflamer Immo w/Extra Armor

as stated above, it's a cheap unit, that can kick teeth in. It's also small enough to get the Invul faith off, and tarpit.

another favorite: Callidus assassin. Shelia's mean, and 'a word in your ear' is a nice power, esp when coupled with a DH Inquisitor's Tarot to get first turn easier, and then destroying something first turn.

#5 · (Edited)
The right answer is that we don't have any good elites choices. The only good celestians are the retinue of a nonflying nun of doom, and they don't take an elites slot. Five celestians in an immolator with two special weapons is something I'd only consider if I didn't have a fast attack slot open to take five dominions in an immolator with as many special weapons as you like.

And you don't need C: DH to get a LD10 PH, a WH inquisitor lady fills that role just fine...I like mine with PH, bolterstake crossbow, purgatus, and hammer of witches. Makes enemy psychers taste like chocolate covered frogs.

#6 ·
Five celestians in an immolator with two special weapons is something I'd only consider if I didn't have a fast attack slot open to take five dominions in an immolator with as many special weapons as you like.
I tend to do it the other way around, I don't like paying the 34 point 'dominion tax' for the privilege of giving the weapons to less capable sisters.

Though my celestians could do with more weapons - in the last two games three squads (per game) of them have managed to shake a single vindicator. They did good work tarpitting stuff in combat last game though.

#7 ·
I've not had a lot of problems with Celestians. The Dominion 'tax' as A.T. calls it, is a deterrent. The Celestians being faithful without a VSS is nice, and always hitting in CC on a 3 is nice.

I use the Celestians as distractions and hard hitters. They're the units in my army that if you don't pay attention to them, they'll hit you where it hurts. I've also had them take down a lot of armor.

#8 ·
If I were to find several gold bars to make a sister's army, I can't help but think I should pack around some Repentia and Arco-Flaggelants... not because it would be competitive, but because I'd want to.

Competitively, I'd choose the Celestians with meltaguns in Immolators. Immolators without using a heavy slot is pretty nice, and as someone mentioned, they're faithful without the VSS. (Granted, the VSS can die and give you another faithful point later if you treat them as sacrificial lambs whereas the all of the Celestians would have to get fragged, but still...)

#9 ·
34 points is the price you pay for access to four assault weapons instead of two...YMMV, but I like taking three meltaguns and a flamer in a mounted unit of six.

#10 ·
I've got Arco-flagellants in my Elite slot.
I don't have any other Elite unit so they work for me. The mandatory priest also provides a nice extra flamer for my Inquisitorial barbecuing gang. And ridiculously fast T5 power weapons is quite scary to the marines I tend to face.

Cheers!

#11 ·
As I use a no thrills mech sisters force my eltie slots consist of a single frive-strong squad of celestians in a rhino. This is actually quite important for me because otherwise my cannoness would be walking and thats jsut not going to happen and secondly 2-3 sister squads (I sometimes substitute the 3rd sister squad for some seraphim) run flamer/heavy flamer with an additional sister squad with dual melta, so I don't exactly have a huge number of meltas on the table thus the cheap - almost disposable - celestians fill an important nuche in my army.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.