Librarium Online Forums banner

Flying Vampires of Freshness

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Blood_Blade 
#1 ·
Well hello everyone ^^

So, with the realease of the new Blood Angels and the literal plethora of deep strikers they have at hand, what do you guys plan to counter this with? ^^

I myself, feel that our basic plans don't ned to change dramatically, but there are a few things we should consider including:
- Officer of the Fleet. Make thoose reserves take their sweet time to get here ;)
- Inquisitor with 2 Mystics. Park him next to your real stuff and make sure thoose acurate DS's will regret getting close.
- Employing the same tactics as we use against DoC might work well here. Make sure there is as little clear space for them to DS down on and hope he'll scatter into terrain/units.

And there's a few things we'll have to watch out for:
- The Blood Lance from a Drop Podding Furioso Librarian will be quite a nasty thing to face for us treadheads.
They'll also be able to make themselves move as Jump Infantry.
- Scout Bikers with melta bombs (as per usual)
- Stormaravens will bring Lascannons and Multi-metas, most probably. And will ignore 2d6 Penetration form Meltas.

So, what have you planned to use now that Dracula has arrived?

Cheers ^^

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah I am not too worried about them. When the Space Wolves came out, people were trying to hype them from here to eternity, trying to scare me and other IG players. I took it all in stride and did the above. Sound tactics and strategy. So to all of you Fangbangers out there, may the Emperor show mercy to my enemies, for I shall not.

#4 ·
I've had Angels longer than Guard and really i don't think there's much Guard players will have to do to combat these new boys.

Deep Strikers have the same problems they've always had - They can be easily countered. They drop next to your tanks with Melta weapons and they either shoot and stay bunched up waiting to be templated to death or 'run' and don't shoot.....where they get shot to death anyway. If doing an Infantry/Hybrid army you can 'bubble wrap' your expensive tanks with warm flesh to keep those Melta Weapons at bay.......

Plasma, Melta, Batle Cannon and Demolisher cannon will kill them the same as before. A few nasty tricks you can do is have some reserves of your own. Rough Riders, Bane Wolves etc, Keeping things like that in reserve can be a nasty suprise for those Assulty Red men.

#5 · (Edited)
Also dont forget where they can only get 3 flyers they will be facing me and my 6 vendettas w/ plasma and melta vets so i think im pretty well covered when facing the new BA. Also thinking about throwing in some hydras or griffons as drop tanks to help add to the weight of fire. Since there are going to be i think i am counting right 4 players considering a blood angel army or themed army based on their new codex at my gaming store an officer of the fleet will be standard in my list.

#6 ·
Every army I play can, and usually does, charge my lines by the end of the second turn anyway. Blood Angels are actually weaker in my book as they don't have the infiltration/outflanking options that the Vanilla Codex does. I'll be happy to see my opponent deepstrike a bunch of large assault squads right in front of me, unable to Furious Charge and all clumped up in the open for the battle cannons. (New rule: Feel That Pain!) Besides, if every BA squad has an independent character that's only an average fighter with one wound, I see my Guard actually accomplishing something in close combat.

The Blood Lance from a Drop Podding Furioso Librarian will be quite a nasty thing to face for us treadheads.
As it stands, I lose 80-90% of my Leman Russes to close combat attacks (including critical-range meltaguns but not multimeltas). It'll be nice to, you know, actually have a running firefight between vehicles rather than a one-sided turkey shoot followed by an even more one-sided close combat beatdown.

#7 ·
I have played them a few times already i just had to remember target priority and i faired well in most of the games. The guys list was friarly ridiculous though 3 vindicators 3 baal preds and a special character who took out to hell hounds in a single turn of combat.

#8 ·
Like Nids, the changes to our lists should be minimal. What works against deep-striking Marines now should work fine against Blood Angels. We'll just have to adjust our tactics a bit.

I do think though, that people shouldn't get too hung up on taking Inquisitors + Mystics. You can smack deep-strikers around just fine without them, it just takes some practice. Besides which, the option will likely be going away later this year (October?) when the new =][= codex gets released. So don't get too dependent on that crutch.

#9 ·
I agree with msot fo you that we won't have to change our compositions all, I was just taking up some things that might have gotten more useful against the new BA's ^^

But there's one thing more we should be taking into consideration in how dey differentiate from the normal SM though, and that's that almost every vehicle in their codex are Fast (except LR's, Drop Pods and Walkers, of course ^^) . This means their Vindicators can now zoom 12" and still throw out a Demolisher shell, that their Dakka-Preds kan move 6" and position themselves better, while still unleashing their full fury, and that their Rhinos will be zooming 24" a turn if they want (is it lucky or unlucky that they're not Open Topped? :p)

I'm not saying we'll be facing more problems than we did with the Nidz, i'm just saying that there are a few new things to take into consideration :)

Cheers ^^

#12 ·
their Rhinos will be zooming 24" a turn if they want (is it lucky or unlucky that they're not Open Topped? :p)
I haven't read their codex yet, but I believe that their Fast Tanks can move 18", only Fast Skimmers get the ability to zoom 24".

#10 ·
Facing an eldar like Marine list wil be interesting.

BAAL PREDS: Fast (and Scouting) will catch out the unwary. These guys can either have Twin Assault Cannons or a Flame Storm Cannon. They're not much of a Problem against Mech lists but Twin Assault Cannons can still hurt AV14 and wreck the side armour of Chimeras Chasis. These load outs can be suplimented by H-Flamer or H-bolter sponsons. With sponsons they're about the same Price as a Vanilla Russ.
They're a Fast Attack slot.

PREDATORS: Only real thing new here is that they can move 6" and fire everything now (being FAST vehicles) so not too scary.

VINDICATORS: hmmm..... About the same Price as a Vanilla Russ for a 12" a turn Demolisher cannon. Pretty nasty and, again, will catch out the unwary. It's still only side armour 11 though so any Autocannons on it's flanks will pop it. Think Scout Sentinels here boys.

STORM RAVEN: This is what everyone is talking about and realy, I have no idea why. It costs 4 Guard squads so it's not cheap. In all esence is a Marine Valkyrie. AV12 (all round) with some guns and missiles. It comes with a twin H-Bolter, Twin Ass-Cannons and 4 Missiles (str8).
You can, of course, swap the H-Bolters for a Twin M-Melta for free and the Ass-Cannon for Twin Lascannons for free. It can carry 12 guys and a Dreadnaught who may assault out of it (unless it DS).
Oh and Melta weapons don't get the additional D6.
All in all it sounds horrendous but look at it. It's a 200+pt flying thing with AV12......

They've got some new tricks and they can do a Mech army like no one else in the Imperium can. It's a Marine Mech army.........Who does Mech better? Guard or Marines?..........

#11 ·
They've got some new tricks and they can do a Mech army like no one else in the Imperium can. It's a Marine Mech army.........Who does Mech better? Guard or Marines?..........
No kidding. We'll still outnumber them by at least 3:2. Most likely by 2:1 or better if they're dumping 350-400 points (or more) into a Storm Raven + Passengers. Scary as they are, they can only kill so many things before we get to shoot back. And nobody shoots better than the Guard. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.