Astorath, the ultimate IC slayer? (and the Dante-Astorath IC Homicide combo?!) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Astorath, the ultimate IC slayer? (and the Dante-Astorath IC Homicide combo?!)

So most people love Astorath because he makes you much more likely to get Red Thirst, a worthy addition, yes, but one I've found to be somewhat superfluous in the list I'm building (sanguinary priests all around). Really the only thing he could add would be fearless from that rule. Not bad, but, hey, we're marines, getting fearless is the party favor to the cake that is our high LD and all the other special rules. Liturgies of Blood is cool, but that's standard jump-chaplain/jump-reclusiarch fare.

No, what makes him special in my mind is the fact that every IC out there must fear his axe. Get into CC, target the IC with Astorath, and the enemy doesn't get armor or cover saves, and his invulnerable save he relies so heavily on will fail almost all the time (even Eldrad's "I fortune my 3+ invuln save" bs will end up failing him around 40% of the time). And of course, his mobility means he can get to that IC quickly.

And I noticed this too. Dante weakens an enemy HQ by a -1WS, -1W, -1A, and -1I. Combine him and Astorath and even the toughest most obnoxious HQs of other enemies will not be able to stand for long. (Seriously, f*** Eldrad and his seer councils. I GOT YOUR NUMBER NOW!)

Anyhoo, food for thought for everyone running Astorath. And if you run Dante and want a second HQ, consider Astorath for his "hot-knife through butter" approach to ICs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

id still back eldrad in that fight especially in a council. astorath is awesome, even if i keep reading his name as astrogoth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Astorath and Dante together in a list just for Eldrad? They cost more then Eldrad each and then Astorath isn't even Eternal Warrior like the Sanguinor so him flying around alone is going to get him killed. No points efficient.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

astorath and dante vs eldrad and yriel this is the stuff that bank holiday monday evenings are made for! in the words of harry hill. Fiiiiiiight!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Astorath is beefy, as is Dante, but both of them together is a huge chunk of points.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Any IC over 200pts is a tough sell as far as I am concerned. Astorath does however have a great model, so coming from a modeling/painting side of the hobby he would be a great HQ. Together with the "goldmember" HQ model, he is the reason why even I started considering playing Blood Angels... But then, why start another Marine army when you have one already...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by powerclaw View Post
    Astorath and Dante together in a list just for Eldrad? They cost more then Eldrad each and then Astorath isn't even Eternal Warrior like the Sanguinor so him flying around alone is going to get him killed. No points efficient.
    It was just an example on the extreme end of an IC you could face. I run into Eldrad with a bunch of fortuned warlocks more often than I'd like to when playing my friends. No, its not points efficient, but Eldrad is the extreme in terms of unkillable ICs with units. On the other end might be an ork Weirdboy, who almost anyone can kill once he gets picked out in CC. The point I was making was that Astorath could potentially kill them all 1 on 1 in CC. And he wouldn't be flying around alone. He'd have a unit with him.

I would probably take on any IC with Astorath alone besides Eldrad (and the C'Tan/ super high toughness MCs). Adding Dante is superfluous in around 90% of situations (though helpful), except for something like Eldrad. 1 on 1, Eldrad probably still wins, but with Dante, its much closer. So, basically, I'd say on 2k or lower, just take Astorath for killing ICs, and at 2500, throw in Dante to boost your IC killing abilities.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

I'm curious about how that would play out.. The Executioner's Axe vs. Fortune. They'll likely nullify each other, but I'd hope for something a bit more creative:

I. Did the model pass it's invulnerable save?
    I.A. Yes - Was the passed save also previously successful, and forced to be rerolled?
    I.A.1. Yes - The model passes it's invulnerable save.
    I.A.2. No - Reroll the invulnerable save and return to I.
    I.B. No - Did the failed save also fail previously, and was allowed to be rerolled?
    I.B.1. Yes - The model fails it's invulnerable save.
    I.B.2. No - Reroll the invulnerable save and return to I.

Ooh, I love bizarre statistics ^-^ The chances of a Farseer passing his fortuned 4++ save are...
    If successful ( '4' to '6' = 1/2 ) and ( * ) reroll is successful ( 1/2 ) or ( + ) if failed ( '1' to '3' = 1/2 ) and ( * ) reroll is successful ( 1/2 ) and ( * ) second reroll is successful ( 1/2 )
    ( 1/4 ) + ( 1/8 ) = ( 3/ 8 ), compared to the usual ( 6/8 ) chance of passing without having to reroll successful saves.. Astorath can do what a Vanilla Librarian cannot! Oh wait..
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Say he takes 6 wounds:
    he makes 1 roll of 6 dice and gets: 1,2,3,4,5,6

fortune means he can re-roll 1 and 2, astorath makes him re-roll 3,4,5,6

after this Never re-roll a re-roll takes effect.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by kloma View Post
    Say he takes 6 wounds:
    he makes 1 roll of 6 dice and gets: 1,2,3,4,5,6

fortune means he can re-roll 1 and 2, astorath makes him re-roll 3,4,5,6

after this Never re-roll a re-roll takes effect.
    Which means, as he would be rerolling all of the saves, regardless of what was scored before the effects would simply average each other out! The first roll will never stand as a save is either passed or saved, there is no middle ground. Regardless of what the first roll brings it will be ignored by the reroll and in essence you will still likely roll a 1 2 3 4 5 and 6 on 6 dice.
    Ask me about the Black and White Space Marine on the Black and White Bike!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast