Honour Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honour Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x3)

Honour Guard

I want to know, Is honour guard worth it. I got Blood Ravens and I really don't want Ultramarines marks all over my Honour Guard. I also don't want Marneus Calgar. So I got plans to make up my own Honour Guard, but I'm not going to make them if there not worth the time of day. I already have a command squad the rarely see's the light of day.

I am an Indestructible master of War.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Honour guard come with a Sanguinary Novitate, which is a sanguinary priest who can't be picked out in assault. So, a sanguinary priest without any of the weaknesses of sanguinary priests. Furthermore, they get it for cheaper since you pay ~165 points for five Veterans with jump packs, FNP and FC. That's their big appeal; they're cheap and they come with a priest.

Additionally, they're one of two units that can get a Chapter Banner, which combined with the novitate makes them and everyone around them absolute CC beasts - including your HQ. The other unit that can get it are Sanguinary Guard, who are pants-shatteringly awful in comparison but really quite pretty.

They have a wide range of weapon options that other units don't get, but their low squad size means you'll want to keep it simple; probably a power fist and some inferno pistols for anti-tank. As said, their main advantage is their price; for what they give you they're very cheap. The squad isn't very large, so you're best off putting them in a transport like a Razorback or a Stormraven. If you're worried about models, I plan to get my hands on Sanguinary Guard and proxy them as Honour Guard, which is the best of both worlds.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ze i think hes talking about Vanilla Honour Guard. As far as I can tell from discussions on LO they are thought of as a point sink. Expensive and with limited wargear options that are best left to large games like apocalypse where individual squad costs are not considered as much.

Edit: i think we're all stuck on Blood angels mode right now
    "There is a fine line between genius and insanity"
    (>'.' )> (^ '.' )> <( '.' )> <( '.' ^)<( '.'<)
    I have sadly passed that line o.0?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiboy12 View Post
    Ze i think hes talking about Vanilla Honour Guard. As far as I can tell from discussions on LO they are thought of as a point sink. Expensive and with limited wargear options that are best left to large games like apocalypse where individual squad costs are not considered as much.

Edit: i think we're all stuck on Blood angels mode right now
    Oh, poopsticks. I'd opened up six threads on BA then slid into this one and read "Blood Ravens" as "Blood Angels". Sorry.

In that case, vanilla HG are basically a points sink. The main difference between them and BA honour guard is that BA honour guard are actually worth their points. Vanilla honour guard are expensive footsloggers with no real benefit to justify it. So, no. Vanilla honour guard are broadly speaking a waste of time.

On the other hand, bike command squads are buckets and buckets of fun, if just as expensive.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x3)

Yeah this is for Vanilla space marines. lol Nice answer though. You had me hook, line, and sinker. Make it worse I didn't even know what unit you were talking about. Well, I did but at the same time I was saying WTH. In any case the nilla version sounds like junk. Ok that means I won't get them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

431 (x8)

Yeah, no invulnerable save or Apothecary just kills 'em.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

i've used them well with a librarian with force dome. not very efficient compared to terminators but they're fun and now they can have an invul (though its not as reliable)

honor guard are experts at slaying lots of troops, but they can't handle anything elite really which makes them kind of a waste as they're slow so once they slay those troops its likely they'll be caught by something elite. so overall they're not worth it when you can get a termie assault unit and throw some lightning claws in there for the same, yet better, effects
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x3)

Termie assault squad is what I'm all about.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So is a BA honor guard with storm shield and power weapons a good idea or waste of points?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

431 (x8)

BA HG have embedded Priests, so they rock. I prefer 'em as special weapon platforms (4 meltas/flamers), but combat works too.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast