What heavy weapons in a tactical squad? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What heavy weapons in a tactical squad?

It would appear to be a significant point savings to put lascannons and plasma cannons in tactical squads and use missile launchers or heavy bolters in devastator squads. The downside being that a lascannon armed 1/2 tac. squad is either targeting something that 4 members can't shoot at or something that 1 member shouldn't. On the other hand, it spreads out you anti-armor capability, allow for better lane coverage at a reduced overall cost. Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

I still have, and use, a gunline Marine army (I think i'm one of the last) so I was mulling over the same question myself not so long ago.

In the end of it, Lascannons in Devastators are too expensive so don't bother. Lasccannons in Tactical squads are pretty pointless for the reasons you stated. 2 Lascannons in a 5 man Sternguard squad..... Better.

Tactical squads I still find better equiped with M-Launchers due to their ability to handle anything that gets thrown at them, which is after all what Tactical squads are for. M-Launcchers are a good all rounder weapon where you'll be able fire at any enemy and the shot not be wasted. Grots or Dreadnaughts. Multimeltas are also a good choice as they're free and Melta weapons are awesome, but, if you're after Melta, H-Bolters, Plasma or Lascannon there are better placed to get them than a tactical squad.

Now w/ English voice-over LastDinosaur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Borak View Post
    In the end of it, Lascannons in Devastators are too expensive so don't bother. Lasccannons in Tactical squads are pretty pointless for the reasons you stated. 2 Lascannons in a 5 man Sternguard squad..... Better.
    You dont think 5 pts is worth it for the signum? Considering that at least one of the Lascannons should miss slightly more than half the time you're firing..

Unless you're using combi-plasmas or hellfires against MCs alot the Devs are still better at what you really want them to do.

In the end I couldn't make up my mind which were better so more or less abandoned the idea as a whole.

I guess it depends on this fancy thing people like to call the meta-game.

For the tacticals ML is nice because it's free and versatile, and have a long range so the objective squad can still give some kind of support.
    MM can be useful in a Vulkan droppod list, but I usually don't consider them.
    Plasmacannons can be nice to have around, but they're just an upgrade for leftover points and the end of the list building.
    Heavy Bolters and Lascannons are never considered by me.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by LastDinosaur View Post
    You dont think 5 pts is worth it for the signum? Considering that at least one of the Lascannons should miss slightly more than half the time you're firing..
    Well, for that 5pts you're getting 1 BS5 shot. Which is cool, but, you're loosing special Ammo and an extra attack on each model (bar the serge). As you said it's personal Preference. I like 'em as Special Ammo is handy and they're not a push over in combat either. In my Gunline list I've got both so it's not like i'm saying your wrong, your not. Both Work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

I like MM or ML for their versatility and free-ness.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Now w/ English voice-over LastDinosaur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

@Borak:

Hmm.. I have no idea why, but I was under the impression that the signum let you reroll one failed to-hit roll..
    I realize now that was only how it was in the 4th ed. Codex.. My apologies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for everyone's thoughts; just so I'm clear, I only saw the signum listed as a standard piece of wargear for Devestator squad sergeants. Tac. and Sternguard squads cannot take them, correct?

UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Son of the Empire View Post
    Thanks for everyone's thoughts; just so I'm clear, I only saw the signum listed as a standard piece of wargear for Devestator squad sergeants. Tac. and Sternguard squads cannot take them, correct?
    That is correct.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i nearly always use ML's with flamers or ML's with melta guns,for a nice all round approach,its a tactical squad so prepared for everything! In larger battles though i sometimes use lascannons, as ap2 makes a hell of a differnce when you are starting to see more big beasts as carnifexes and termintors etc..but i still prefer ML's!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Son of the Empire View Post
    It would appear to be a significant point savings to put lascannons and plasma cannons in tactical squads and use missile launchers or heavy bolters in devastator squads. The downside being that a lascannon armed 1/2 tac. squad is either targeting something that 4 members can't shoot at or something that 1 member shouldn't. On the other hand, it spreads out you anti-armor capability, allow for better lane coverage at a reduced overall cost. Thoughts?
    plasma cannons are good aoe weapons but never forget the gets hot rule, if that boy explodes it can easily take out your whole squad, ^_^ i have 3 of em one in a dev squad lol, i am done for if those go with a bang.

id say mix it up anti-armor is nice but also keep in mind anti-personnel as well. these can sometimes be a massive help in getting mob numbers down. but it depends greatly on the armies composition, if got a whirlwind and a dev squad as well as a termie squad to back up my frontline troops.
    dark angels army: vengance of caliban 3500pt army
    wins:1 draw:2 loss:1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast