Traitor Guard Wannabe - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

Traitor Guard Wannabe

I've been tinkering with the idea of playing guard for some time, being one of my main choices when I walked in to that Games Workshop 2+ years ago. The idea of having hundreds of nameless faces standing up (or lying down... or running) against hordes or elite, hardened, and overall brutish creatures from all other races winning simply by drowning them in your dead fills me with much joy.

I play Chaos Marines primarily and would want an army that compliments them as I love the Chaos fluff the most of all that I have read and for larger fun games with mates wanted a different army that gives me more room to convert so I've decided to go with a traitor Guard regiment.

But herein lies the rub, I want an army that functions more like a suicide run than a tactical choice. Swarms of guardsmen locked and loaded for close combat (as much as possible) and not by orgyns or riders or whatever else can be thought up but as I mentioned, with wave after wave of 'Private Nobody' lead by 'Sargeant Who Cares'.

Obviously Guardsmen alone, even devoted to Chaos cannot beat the horrors of the universe alone, so some big guns like the simple Basilisk, some Heavy Weapons Teams and some Sentinels with swap-around weapons to help deal down the numbers before the Guardsmen reach the inevitable.

So my question I guess I'm posing after the lengthy introduction is could this work on any degree? I know its not the smartest idea but surely there has to be some merit in there somewhere? Even a glimpse? And if anyone has any neat lists that put me in the right direction I'd love to see it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x3)

These are the most important parts of CC guard;

30 men blobbed squads with commissars and plenty of power weapons.

Strakken CCS with plenty of body guards(could use chaos space marine as strakken.)

Though you might want to add a few suicide squads(either 2x flamer and demo charge or 3x flamer demolishions veterans.) in vendettas for the vendettas anti tank power.

While CC guard might not be the most competitive list, it sounds very fun.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

I forgot about vendettas for speed and stuff. I sort of wanted a guard army that plays a lot like orks. everything except the guns move forward turn after turn. I hope to have any squad that can fit a flamer to have one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

78 (x3)

Orks will always be better in CC, maybe you should use ork rules for the traitor guard?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

An army my friend runs sounds exactly like what you want. Basically the core of the army is an infantry platoon with chenkov, he takes two maxed out conscript squads with the send in the next wave rule. He has a lord commissar in one of the squads and for the other HQ he has strakken. The combo is super super expensive and all your other points basically have to be devoted to anti tank to help deal with the massive hit your taking in that department but what it does give you is 100 scrubs that have furious charge, leadership 10, stubborn, and counter attack and you can kill off the squad at any time and bring on 50 fresh guys. Its hard to manage because you have to try and keep the squads within 12 inches of the commissar, chenkov, and strakken but its entertaining and gives guard some close combat ability. Doesnt matter who you are 100 S4 I4 attacks will put a dent in you.

Joe Peshi (lone wolf) kill tally:Lash Sorcerer, Ghazkull, Yriel, Termi Libby, Vulkan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

78 (x3)

But... when you take them off you have to split of the commissar lord, making him pretty much dead, this is because he doesn't count as an upgrade to the squad, and is added later(its in the FAQ.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

Yes very true, but you really need him in the list somewhere to give the scrubs leadership 10. Stubborn doesnt do you any good if you have ld 5 lol. Hold him back in strakkens squad then.

Joe Peshi (lone wolf) kill tally:Lash Sorcerer, Ghazkull, Yriel, Termi Libby, Vulkan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

78 (x3)

I would say blob squads of 30 guardsmen are better... you can take more upgrades, and you have more bs and more ld.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

266 (x8)

I'm not fussed to lose a few games til I get into the swing of things, or even choice characters early on because they don't have a squad to huddle up to. its all part of the fun!

I just want some big guns followed by as many guardsmen as I can squeeze into the list. Out of sentinels or heavy weapons team which is better for tank-hunting? 3 sents with lascannons are somewhere in the area of 150 but I'm unsure yet of the price of heavy weapon squads as the whole way the guard list works is very confusing being a chaos player for so long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

78 (x3)

HWS are very vulnerable, they can get insta killed and only have ld 7.

Sentinels are good... but can't take orders and only have bs3

+ Reply to Thread