Shackle Soul - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shackle Soul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shackle Soul

So, looking for some clarification on how this power would work. It's a shooting attack so you could hit them with it, then assault the squad. Do they now have to roll for Leadership before they can attack back? Or is that just not covered with the "assault" part of the rules? Otherwise the short range of it is sort of lost on a force that will be closing the distance so quickly. With most of the other powers it would just seem too situational (in this case maybe to cast it and then run away which would be rare) just as the other powers like Blood Boil or FotD.

My 40k Blog: http://ondeathswings.blogspot.com/
    Necron - 1500pts (WIP) [6W/3L/2D] (Retired 'til new codex)
    Blood Angels - 1500pt (WIP) [6W/2L/2D]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Now w/ English voice-over LastDinosaur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

I believe 'assault' refers only to them performing an assault..

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

The wording isn't 100% clear, but the ways it seems to be worded Shackle applies to any voluntary actions.

"Each time it WISHES to..."

If your are assaulted by your opponent it ias completely involuntary and if you are assaulted you make your attacks. You are not making an action, your unit is simply reacting to your opponents so no I do not think you need to take a leadership test.
    Ask me about the Black and White Space Marine on the Black and White Bike!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah ok, so basically, another not needed power for an assaulty Libby, lol. The only offensive edge I see it giving you is if you moved towards an enemy to assault but you fall short (12 inches away) you hit them with it, and hope they fail leadership next turn so they don't run away or counter-charge.
    My 40k Blog: http://ondeathswings.blogspot.com/
    Necron - 1500pts (WIP) [6W/3L/2D] (Retired 'til new codex)
    Blood Angels - 1500pt (WIP) [6W/2L/2D]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Haunter View Post
    Ah ok, so basically, another not needed power for an assaulty Libby, lol. The only offensive edge I see it giving you is if you moved towards an enemy to assault but you fall short (12 inches away) you hit them with it, and hope they fail leadership next turn so they don't run away or counter-charge.
    Yeah, it is unfortunately rather range-limited for it's intended purpose. Cool premise, unlikely to see the light of day very often though. There are just many superior abilities that better fulfill a Librarian's purpose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Yes. I think the voluntary action covers it. Being assaulted - or indeed, attacking in close combat - are not voluntary actions. I cannot choose not to attack if I am engaged in an assault.

The wording is extremely vague, however. I'd still slap anyone who suggested that it removes a unit's ability to make attacks entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Darguth
    Yeah, it is unfortunately rather range-limited for it's intended purpose. Cool premise, unlikely to see the light of day very often though. There are just many superior abilities that better fulfill a Librarian's purpose.
    I think a Dreadnought could make use of it. Or a Librarian in conjunction with other deep striking units, to protect a deep striking assault squad on the turn it arrives.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by ze_poodle View Post
    I think a Dreadnought could make use of it.
    I have to admit I haven't really put much thought into a Librarian Dread yet. Remind me, could he use this ability on a unit and then charge something else? I forget how vehicles shooting and then assaulting work. If not, how do you think a Dread would make use of it? I'm always interested in knowing how to make reasonable use of marginal resources

Or a Librarian in conjunction with other deep striking units, to protect a deep striking assault squad on the turn it arrives.
    Yes, this is true. But again, this is a rather niche ability. For defensive support I'd likely prefer to go with the ability that confers the 5+ cover save (don't have my codex on me at work and forget the exact name). It's more universally useful and doesn't rely as heavily on the luck of the dice for the opponent to fail his LD tests.

Though more often than not I expect my Librarians to be taking more offensive abilities (Unleash Rage to buff the unit, or Might of Heroes or Sanguine Sword for personal killing power), plus Wings of Sanguinius to stay with their Jump Infantry cousins.

UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x3)

Since its a walker. It would still follow the normal rules for assaulting units, with the specifications in the walker and assaults sections. In short, they don't have any permission to shoot unit X and assault unit Y, that I've encountered yet.

+ Reply to Thread