New to Space Wolves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Space Wolves

Hi all... ive decided to start a space wolves army as the models appeal to me and im taking a break from my Eldar lol So im here to ask how space wolves play in-game what is recommended i start off with etc.. I was considering the battle force as a start.. even tho my main opponent is a marine player i am a bit unfamiliar with them still and I have never seen the wolves played.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long Fangs and Vindicators my friend. Close and long range firepower. Whittle down your enemies while grey hunters move in for HtH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and powerfists. Don't forget those.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Space Wolves are a very good and balanced army. They combine decent shooting with good assault units. They have great psychic abilities and can be quite nasty with the ability to take up to 4 HQ units. Finally, they probably have the best cavalry unit in all of 40K with their Thunderwolf Cavalry.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

of course TWC, but getting the stuff for them is annoying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I played a tourny yesterday and I played 3 times against chaos marines, it was my first try with a combined force with rhinos and pods and wolf guard termies. It went good because I won 2 of the 3 ( chaos as always have their princes with lash, berserkers , plague marines etc etc )

For a comp list but not that overpowered: ( +- 1850pts )

- Rune priests : good powers and can nullify enemy powers give them a wolf talisman and they can if he or the unit is affected by a enemy power nullify that power on 5+ , he's also good enough in CC ( I run them in termy armour,combi melta )

- Grey hunters : best troop choice for marines, let the BA have their jumppacks we have shooting power and CC power ( counterattack ) I use 2 ten man squads with wolf standard, powerfist and 2 meltaguns in a rhino( verry good units for drive by shootings ) I have a 3rd squad with 2 plasmaguns in a drop pod.

- Wolf scouts : cheap and great rules, never leave those at home. They can blow up tanks with their outflank rule and lock firepower squads in CC , I run 6 wolf scouts with a meltagun.

- wolf guard : Good support/killer unit, I run 2 squads with 2 thunder hammer/SS, 1 chainfist/SS , 1 powerweapon with combimelta. They have a drop pod and the rune priests join these squads. Great harass units ( I saw fear in those chaos armies yesterday if you drop those ) I always create a wall of drop pods. These units absorb a lot of incomming fire wich is good because your other units can move in without incomming fire ( 2nd wave ).

- Blood claws : good counterattack unit ( I run them as 10 men squad with 2 flamers and a wolfguard in termie armour with heavyflamer and powerfist as leader ) They are footslogging

- long fangs : the best devastator squads for a marine player, split fire , a max of 5 heavy weapons etc etc ( I have a squad with 4 missiles, cheap and great support ) If I have the points I would like to see a wolf guard with cyclone and a extra long fang with missile in that squad.

If you wonna start buy a space marine and space wolf battleforce and combine the bits. You will have too much scouts but thats not a problem. You can create the core of your army with greyhunters and will have a pod and rhino, wolf scouts , blood claws ( the assault marines without jumpacks ) You will have also enough leftovers for long fangs if you buy a devastator box later on.
    Shas'O dent'O r'myr cadre ( 1850pts ) ( O'shovah breakaway rules )
    Space wolves " dentonir " the red wolves company ( Canis wolf cavalry list, 1000pts )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice guys. I bought the space wolves battleforce to start out wit hand to see what the models would look like so ive just got what comes in the box atm and next up im considering buying a second wolves battleforce and buying the marines one so i can combine them once i can spare the money for them lol.

Oh and also what do you need to make the thunder wolf Calvary? as i don think there are kits for it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atm I am using the wolves without their thunderwolves, they are strong enough without those. I just wonna wait at the correct models and then maybe I give them a try in my army. They are expensive if you run 5 man and a wolf(guard-lord) with thunderhammer.

But why not? We have enough options to create a cavalry list or termies lists and thats why the wolves are fun to collect because we have that many options.
    Shas'O dent'O r'myr cadre ( 1850pts ) ( O'shovah breakaway rules )
    Space wolves " dentonir " the red wolves company ( Canis wolf cavalry list, 1000pts )

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

There's lots of things people are doing to make TWC. I'm planning on starting Space Wolves as my second army, and these are the coolest models I've seen:

Wolf Mounts for Miniature Tabletop Gaming - eBay (item 190392507251 end time May-27-10 16:48:51 PDT)

Otherwise, you can always try to sculpt your own, or convert various D&D minis, or things from other companies. There are cheaper ways of getting it done if you're on a budget, but from what I've dug up, there's nothing better looking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I know I'm a little late to the party but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I started my space wolves army by buying the battle force (which was definitely the best plan) but I also used a few of the pieces that had more "fur" and other "wolfie" pieces on them and used some green stuff to convert them to Rune Priests. It can save a lot of money and look a lot better then their metal equivalent which look very little like their picture in the codex.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast