Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
So, I've recently picked up my second 40k army, a bunch of second hand Nids and I'm having a blast trying out new tactics and units. After having played Eldar for many many years I've finally got a thirst for trying other armies and IG is definitely one I'd consider next in line (together with Orks).
Anyhow, I won't be purchasing anything soon, but I would like to wet my appetite a little none the less. First off I'd like to say that I absolutely love the Tauros Assault Vehicles that Forgeworld has, and if I did pick up a Guard army I'd definitely want to include a bunch of them. The problem is that they aren't officially supported in regular 40k, so I was thinking I could use the in a plays-as manner. How much do you think people would object to me using the Tauros models instead of Hellhounds or Sentinels?
The second thing on my list is what modeling theme to go for. I don't really like any of the official ones, except perhaps Death Korps of Krieg, but I might as well look around a bit. So below is a list of non-GW/Forgeworld themes I know of, some more interesting to me than others. I'd love more themes or ideas to ponder, so feel free to add any ideas you have.
- Traitor Guard - Guards turned chaos, with or without mutations or going for special chaos gods.
- Undead Guard - Part skeleton, part zombie, part alive. Easy to make by kitbashing with Fantasy Undeads.
- Genestealer Cults - An old classic that I doubt will ever get old.
- Bionic Guard - Guard with bionic implants, half terminator half human.
- Halo Guard - Based on the Halo-series of games (I'm not a fan of this).
- Starship Troopers - Based on the movie with the same name, 'nuff said.
- Feral Guard - Using beasts and whatnot instead of vehicles, maybe even dinosaurs.
- Looted Guard - Orks or Grots using IG technology.
- Eldar Hybrids - Half Eldar half Human rebels.
- Penal Legions - Slave warriors of the Imperium, some fight to regain their honour.
- Steampunk Guard - Locomotive-esque vehicles, steam powered weapons, large sprockets etc.
- Historical Guard - Based on historical earth armies, like 18th century British, Celts, Samurai and so on.
- Female Guard - All women, but otherwise fairly normal.
- Fat Guard - Beer bellies and fatsos everywhere, probably lots of room for humour.
- Nudist Guard - No clothes/armour on anyone, probably not very fun, but an option and different.
- WW2 Guard - Red Army or Nazis, visually pleasing, but with the complication of people actually thinking I share the beliefs, which I don't.
- Religious Guard - Not far from normal Guard, but add flagellants, lots of chains, crosses, priests etc. and it's somewhat different from the norm.
Last edited by Inian; May 2nd, 2010 at 00:46. Reason: Added a few themes.
I've liked the idea of a feudal army for quite a while. Not with backwards tech or anything but with a large amount of pagentry, banners and heraldic symbols on the tanks and sentinels. Rough riders would have a good place in there too I guess using medieval knights as the base... or my absolute favourite - Polish winged hussars(!) http://alphaimagemodelworkshop.com/G...dHussarLHS.jpg
Star Ship Troopers........for the Ability to Cry "MEDIC!!!!" when some guys get killed (so all the time) and "BUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!" when fighting nids...........also you can re-name the "first rank fire second rank fire order" with "BUUUUUUUUGGSSS!!!!!!!!!!!"
Plus you can use all the cheesey one liners used in the film like "come on you bunch of apes! You want to live for ever?" Plus you've got all your Characters named...........
Not that I'm a fan at all. not at all.
The Fat Guard sound cool too. Americcan themed I'm guessing
You know starship troopers were more like space marines then ig right?
You want to find a happy medium. You go with a humorous army and after awhile it gets old. Go with a super serious one and it seems not fun anymore.
Honestly I would go with 2 themes
# Steampunk Guard - Locomotive-esque vehicles, steam powered weapons, large sprockets etc.
Mainly for the conversion options and done correctly I think would look amazing.
# Historical Guard - Based on historical earth armies, like 18th century British, Celts, Samurai and so on.
Plenty of reference material and lots of conversion options also.
Green iz da' BEST!
Orkz is made fer' two fings! Fightin', and winnin'!
Gaint power suited figure that carry nukes and rocket packs that drop in from orbit using pods, Super highly trained. That not space marines?
I just realized he was talking about the movie. My bad